PDA

View Full Version : Compressing and archiving your current binary using bzip2... done!

UnGod
04-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Compressing and archiving your current binary using bzip2... done!

ahhh such a great idea! but one thought on it allthough it would make compile time a bit longer, wouldn't it be better to put that at the end of the compile process rather than while upgrading not neccisarily any advantage of course, but with it setup to be done when you do a make -f Makefile.dist the time on the file can be quite decieving, if it was done at the end of compile it could show the time that it was actually compiled not the time it was replaced ;) (and thus if needed to backtrack you can always look back at the changelog and compare it with the date)

blah and yes, i know this is almost a completly useless post ;)

AlphaBeta
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
I am tring to resore an old version of seq when I use bzip2 to uncompress the file I get a file named "showeq" but thats it is there some other step I am missing?

Cryonic
06-12-2003, 12:09 PM
The backup copy appear to be dated, not on when you are compiling a new version, but on the date of that specific showeq binary was last modified (mtime). This should be the same before you compile a new version of SEQ and after, but will change once you do a make install.

You unbzip'd the file and got the showeq binary back. There is nothing else to do really, though you could move it and overwrite the other copy that you have.

e.g.
mv showeq /usr/local/bin