PDA

View Full Version : libEQ.a question

SeqTester
12-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Well I got Showeq4.0 to compile but then my xwindows(I think it was actually KDE) was crashing on start, but that is not my Issue.

I recompiled 3.1.2 due to the fact mine has been workign for a while anyways and I forgot to put my old libEQ.a back and it decrypits with the 8da5608635e69205807fbf6e41e9bc2f libEQ.a. Being I am using 3.1.2 shouldnt I haev to put my old libEQ.a back (a38ceb68b70e0bc2ea27a5147fa50f73 one)??
or was I using a "bad" one that may have been PW stealer?

I always would close SEQ before logon to be safe, but I am now wondering if I had a "Compromised" version of libEQ.a?

Thanks for your time.

Mr Guy
12-22-2001, 04:24 PM
I would have thought you would remember if you were using a libEQ.a you downloaded off a website.

Anyway, the question is rather moot because as far as I know (hehe which isn't far, since I didn't look) they didn't change any of the library function names, thus recompiling with the new and correct libEQ.a would cause an older version that had the decrypt turned on to work as well.

And that's not going into the fact that there are no known password stealing libEQ.a's floating around. It was more of a potential danger hype to keep people on the straight and narrow.

SeqTester
12-22-2001, 09:55 PM
Thanks a lot.
I was just being extra carefull.
At least now I can leave SEQ running while I log in again, I hated to have to restart it everytime.

KennySP
12-27-2001, 03:53 PM
I'm under the impression that the password is sent every time you zone as well, because it has been said by Verant officials that if someone is online playing your characters you can login and change the password and the next time they zoned they would be kicked out of the game and have to reauthenticate to your account to get in.

So it's checked at least each time you zone.

Then again, I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure. Just wanted to point out not to assume that your password is safe from a trojan just because you aren't running it when you initially login.

KennySP

Zaphod
12-29-2001, 12:29 PM
I believe somehow you linked against an old libEQ.a. The function names have remained the same, but the argument lists to the libEQ.a functions have changed radically so it shouldn't have linked, and if it linked for some reason it shouldn't have run successfully.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

SeqTester
01-02-2002, 07:12 AM
Well I think I was doing somethign wrong. I tried to recompile 3.1.2 again on my Girlfriends SEQ box and wouldn't work with newer libEQ.a and I tried with old one and it works fine.

Tonight is the QT2.3.2 for her and upgrade to 4.0

Yendor
01-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Well yes you should use the new showeq v4 if at all possible.

But if for some reason you had to use 3.1.2 you would use the a38 libEQ.a. I posted a patch for 3.1.2 in the patch area if anyone wanted to use it. Fixes the current 3.1.2 tree to decrypt and all that, it's a bit of a hack but should work as well as 3.1.2 ever did.

I don't recommend using 3.1.2 or the a38 libEQ, but if you are going to... there ya go.

SeqTester
01-02-2002, 11:58 AM
I have a copy of your original .diff that I used, Well my box I had did it by hand from your "Tips"(thanks) then found the diff later that I used this weekend for my girlfriends box, Mine has had v4.0 for awhile I just dread the QT2.3.2 on her box, but then she will stop bitching about the EXP being broke in 3.1.2.

Thanks again guys for Everything.