PDA

View Full Version : Font used in SEQ menu's etc...

xfesty
05-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Hi there.

I'm aware of the font settings available both in the showeq conf file and the command line parameters, but they don't seem to affect _all_ font settings - in particular, those used to show the menubar, and the "Channels" windows, amongst other things. I've some some size 12+ bulky ugly looking font, where everything else is using size 8 or 10.

When I was using KDE2 it seemed the window manager's font settings was used for these menus, supposedly because KDE enforced it, but now I'm using fluxbox with the gnome panel its gone back to default fonts.

Why is this? Seems wierd that a QT window manager has to be running for the fonts to be changed.

Anybody know any ways around it? The fonts are massive, and on my 800x600 laptop they're taking up valuable screen real estate.

Thanks!

fryfrog
05-09-2002, 10:10 PM
i think i have (err, had) the same problem as you. my font for the file menus and the spawn listings was GIGANTIC. it was so big that i had to basically make my spawn list half of the screen if i wanted to actually read anything.

the ODD thing was that sometimes when i fired seq up, it would be normal and sometimes big but MOST often it was large. i have recently switched from mdk 8.1 -> gentoo linux and am STILL compiling everything i need so i can't tell you if its fixed yet :)

i tried changing font sizes in KDE as well as in the showeq.conf but i could only manage to change some fonts (of which i can't remember for sure which were big and which were small).

fee
05-10-2002, 05:59 AM
Some of the fonts are hardcoded, bummer. This will likely get fixed some day. For now you have 2 options. 1) hide the menubar. 2) edit the code and recompile with whatever font/size you would like.

fee

Zaphod
05-10-2002, 08:17 AM
I'm not positive, but what they are describing may actually be caused by some cruft in the X Resource Database. I've had certain similar types of problems caused by poorly written cruft in there.

Do the following command and see what it spews forth:

$ xrdb -query

I used to have problems caused by what one package or another stuck in there in a poor fashion.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)