PDA

View Full Version : IDEA: Character Stat/Equipment Dump

HanzO
05-09-2002, 03:52 PM
I had this working fine before the last patch.

Whenever I would zone, two files were created in the showeq directory:

PlayerName.playerinfo
PlayerName.iteminfo

It would list player stat info, and list every item equipped, in inventory and in the bank with most pertinent stats.

Oh, and to clarify ... PlayerName would change based on whomever you had logged in at the time, the same file named PlayerName.xxx was not just rewritten etc.

Is this worth trying to get into the build? If so, someone help me out with who I need to get in contact with.

fryfrog
05-09-2002, 10:07 PM
that actually sounds like a very nice idea. would be great to just be able to log in my mule and get a copy of what was on them w/o actually having to watch the screen. if you wanted you could even toss it out in a nice format (say, maybe CSV or something) so it could be imported into excel or some other spreadsheet proggie.

LordCrush
05-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Woot, nice idea!!! I would like that very much :D

/cheer

- Lord Crush

Zaphod
05-10-2002, 09:35 AM
cd into your showeq directory and issue the following command (assuming no new source files):

$ cvs diff -u >mypatch.diff

And then follow the Patches (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=310131&group_id=10131&func=browse) link above and submit it as a patch.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

HanzO
05-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Ok, will do when I get a second.

I tried to:

cvs -z3 update

and it hosed all my old code, so I had to shutdown vmware and discard changes -- thank GOD.

I'll do the diff, submit the patch, then cvs -z3 update.

Oh, this makes it a BREEZE to update things like Magelo, or just to keep around.

I figure I could use it when I eventually go to sell my accounts. With 9 post 50 alts -- it'd be hell otherwise.
---
I would, however, not recommend listing everything on account sales as that would be very easy for VI to track you down if you list *everything*

HanzO

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 11:40 AM
NO! That is not how you use CVS.. it will not let you check in your code until you have the latest version (unless you do a force, which will break the rest of ShowEQ)... You must update, then manually merge in the changes, then add a patch...

Check out the information found on www.cvshome.com for merging.

The basic gist is, anywhere where you changed code and somebody else changed code since your last update you will have to merge...

You will see sections like

<<<<<<<< FileName

*code*

=======

*code*

>>>>>>>> <version>

you have to manually merge the two code blocks, then patch...

--Jeeves

HanzO
05-10-2002, 03:50 PM
But shouldn't a:

cv3 -z3 update

Update my files with the correct portions off sourceforge and comment out what ISN'T on sourceforge (ie -- my stuff?)

Or, do I need to update, then retool everything, then do a diff and submit it as a patch? Please tell me no.

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Yep.. thats the way a multi-lock source control system works... it marks in the files where any merge conflicts are.. it is us to you to do the merge, then submit the patch..

When you update, it wont delete anything you have added, it will simply mark out conflicts.. you need to go through and look at each conflict, and make sure it is fixed... remember, in the May 8th patch, the player, spawn, and item structs all changed... if you submitted without compensating for those changes, your code wouldnt work... at the very least, one of the dev's will have to go through all your code and update it before submitting the patch.. you can do a better job of it than one of the devs, because you know the code you wrote... unfortunately you just happened to write a bunch of code that was right in the middle of a huge change in those structures....

--Jeeves

HanzO
05-10-2002, 04:06 PM

The odd thing was, when I did a cvs -z3 update, I saw like 5 files got updated was all.

I briefly looked at them but noticed all *my* code was no longer there. Not commented out, nothing at all.

So I am still confused. Which is correct:

a)
1) cvs -z3 update
2) negotiate 'commented diffs'
3) cvs diff ...
4) submit patch

or

b)
1) tar it / make a backup
2) cvs -z3 update
3) manually recode it all from my backups
4) cvs diff ...
5) submit patch

if B is the correct answer can you give me the syntax to do a recursive diff on files having the same name but in two directories, like: ~/seqbefore and ~/seqafter, so I can see the changes a bit easier?

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Hmm... cvs -z3 update should not delete your code... it never has with mine...

Specifically.. look in the cvs manual here:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_16.html#SEC152

Take a look at section A.16.2... it will show you how to read the letters before the filename when you do an update, so you can see which ones have merged, and which have conflicted... At the very least, it should save all your changes in the .# file..

after you do a cvs -z3 update, do a cvs diff... you should see your changes show up in the diff (probably with a bunch of other conflict crap).. if you dont, you may have done a cvs export to get your files instead of a cvs co?

I've been working with CVS almost every day for 5 years now, so I'm quite certain this is the way it works..

1) cvs update
2) <fix any conflicts>
3) cvs diff <will show you exactly what is different between your code and the repository>
4) cvs commit <or in this case.. generate a patch file and upload>

Here is another excellent source for your perusal:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_10.html#SEC85

--Jeeves

HanzO
05-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Ok, I read the sections...

So, in theory, just a plain old cvs update should just take my edited files and merge them with the current version. Which I then have to manually negotiate any differences... correct?

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Exactly...

--Jeeves

HanzO
05-10-2002, 05:15 PM
Thanks for all your non-flame information.

I'll get a patch up as soon as I can, have a lot of work this weekend to muddle out.

high_jeeves
05-10-2002, 06:06 PM
I only flame people who dont try to do things for themselves... :)

--Jeeves

LordCrush
05-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Hmmm HanzO are you still working on this, if you dont i would try it myself, but my knowledge of c is 10 years old :rolleyes: ...

- Lord Crush

liquidx
05-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Listen to this crack-head idea.. What if someone designed a system like magelo charactor profiles, but instead of selecting armor from lists, you upload a data file containing all the info for you...

Then ShowEQ could write these files, and you could setup a simple script to upload it, or better yet if the website portion was not a community but instead a project, just upload it to your own webserver, would be super-easy to automate this..

If ShowEQ comes out with a standard format for equipment lists and such, I would be inclined to start working on the website, based around these data files =)

Of course the only real BIG problem is that it would be bad to show charator names in these profiles, as the only people running the website would pry be showeq users, verent could single them out pretty easily.. On the other hand, if the data file is not cryptic, I.E. anyone without showeq can create one, then there would be no problem..

fryfrog
05-30-2002, 03:04 PM
i think you found your problem... the only "users" would be seq "users". and if you don't have the name of your char (or some way of identifiying) what is the point? and if you DO have the name of your char... it just turns into a VI ban list :)

liquidx
05-31-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
i think you found your problem... the only "users" would be seq "users". and if you don't have the name of your char (or some way of identifiying) what is the point? and if you DO have the name of your char... it just turns into a VI ban list :)

Well what if the website was designed to be used stand-alone, much like other charactor tracking sites like magelo and allakhazam, except you run it on your own servers, or if your too lame, your PC...
Doing this, there could be an option built into it, or a script built into it, to import and export these charactor profiles..

So basically the website's primary purpose would be just managing your charactors on your own server.. but you could export profiles to send to other people, and import them from other people or ShowEQ =)

I think this would get around the problem? The Import/Export function does not even need to MENTION ShowEQ, rather ShowEQ could mention the profile system...

HanzO
06-02-2002, 12:59 AM
I quit EQ - You want the source, send me an email address to send it to. You can hack n slash it.

LordCrush
06-02-2002, 03:42 AM
Hi HanzO,

hmmm quitting EQ ... no ... that will be a long time in the future for me :)

my email-address

[email protected]

There is a limitation of 4 Mb on this mail-adr.

Thanx for your help - and be safe :)

- Lord Crush

Ratt
06-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Post a patch with it and I'll see what I can do about getting it in.

I like the idea of being able to export everything ... and making some sort of "standard" that is used is intriguing... but as it's already been mentioned, having a standard only SEQ follows is kind of a bad thing...

HanzO
06-03-2002, 06:26 PM
The problem is...

The patch was written for v3.12 and when you forced me to v4.0 it meant a reinstall of Mandrake 8.1 or 8.2 for me.

So... I can just tar/gzip up the src directory and send it to you. I can't even remember the files that I modded to be quite honest.

I'll send them to you Lord Crush - give me a couple days.

Oh, and with the decryption in v3.12 the playerinfo file wasn't correctly getting renamed.

The flow was:

On zone entry:
1) dump player item info/wearing info/bank info to a file.
2) dump player stats to a file.

If memory serves they happen at different stages of the decode cycle so for one of them, at the time you receive the data - you don't know your player name. I think it was for your inventory file. So I wrote it out to 'temp.iteminfo' then when I got the player stats, renamed it to the proper 'playername.iteminfo' after i built 'playername.playerinfo'.

The only thing I had to do was build a couple hack functions to properly parse some of the gear slots and stuff for like MELEE1 MELEE2 EAR1 EAR2 etc.

Should take Ratt like an hour MAYBE ;)

See what you can knock out before I send it to ya ;)

LordCrush
06-03-2002, 11:40 PM
Thank you HanzO,

i will look at it and see what i can do with it :)

If i am stuck i am sure here will be someone hwo gives me a push in the right direction.

Since the original source of 3.12 is still availible form CVS a diff should be no problem...

aehh and i will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so there is no need to hurry :D

/wave

- Lord Crush