PDA

View Full Version : Is ShowEQ for windows a possibility?

Gangster_Ogre
05-13-2002, 01:51 AM
Just wondering if there was any way to run showEQ on windows , i know there probably isnt =P. Anyway , if not, ill just head back into my little hidey hole and save up for a new computer. If there is a way , i would appreciate anyone helping me to run showEQ =) thanks all

Alwayslost
05-13-2002, 01:54 AM
In a word, no. If there were a windows version VI would spend much money/effort defeating it. There were windows versions in the past and that is what happened.

BTW The search feature is your friend.. :)

Gangster_Ogre
05-13-2002, 01:57 AM
didnt really think it through as to why there wasn't a windows version to begin with =P
thanks for the info

Nobody
05-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Can we get this stickyfied?

RSB
05-13-2002, 07:59 PM
If you want a windows version of SEQ then please post your name and home address and someone will mail you a package to take care of all your problems. Don't worry about the ticking. Things will be much clearer to you when that stops.

RSB

mfau
05-13-2002, 09:59 PM
It's not difficult to get it working with VMware if you're really interested. Just download 'WinPcap' (the Windows version of libpcap) and write a small program to forward all UDP packets to the IP of the VMware Linux session, and fudge Packet.CPP to suit. Works fine for me :cool:

Gangster_Ogre
05-13-2002, 11:23 PM
I just read some things about updecho *sp* and was wondering if i could possibly use that to get SEQ and EQ to run on the same machine(windows) or if i absolutely need a linux machine.

S_B_R
05-14-2002, 12:20 AM
you need linux

Virusmaster
05-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Dude, computers are VERY cheap these days and a little Linux knowlege is worth a lot. Check out a computer show, or stop by a local shop and buy a P.O.S. computer for a few bucks, download linux from redhat's website and get into this as deep as you can. eventually, with a LOT of internet research and a little tenacity you will be running SEQ on a $100 computer and be damn proud of it! Oh, by the way, Welcome to our addiction :)

fgay trader
05-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Virusmaster
you will be running SEQ on a $100 computer and be damn proud of it! Oh, by the way, Welcome to our addiction :)

$100?!? I bought my POS (p2-300, 128 ram, 2gb hd, net card, vid card) for $40 :p It's the monitor that's expensive, but even that is manageble if you don't mind an old 14"-er.

Mr. Suspicious
05-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Got ShowEQ running on a P100 with 32MB and a 4MB HD (Typo Ofcourse = 4Gb =)), Matrox Millennium II 4MB GFX card. Bought it for 18$. Without Monitor ofcourse.

Cryonic
05-16-2002, 06:29 PM
Wow, the graphics card has more memory than the system has storage :).

I've had it running on a P150 laptop with 80MB RAM (was 32MB till recently).

PainNSuffering
05-16-2002, 07:08 PM
I just used the first computer I had when I graduated HS.

500mhz with (I upgraded ram) to 128, and a voodoo 3 vid card. the monitor is an old PoS I had in my closet for testing. 14" that only runs at 640x480.

Broke out my old hub that I replaced with a router when the port 1 broke. but since I only need 3 of the 4 ports it all works.

Kinda odd though. I have a brand new system I built, sitting right next to an old scared, dented, drawn on comp, with no case cover. a nice 19" flat screen monitor next to the 14" scratched up PoS, that you cannot even make the visable area take up the entier screen with. and that old hum sitting next to a nice shiny router.

Looks like the good, VS the bad & ugly.

sauron
05-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Will SEQ run smoothly on a P100 ?? Like at 10FPS?

Cryonic
05-19-2002, 08:29 AM
SEQ runs fine on a P150 at 2fps. I don't think there is any real need to run it much faster than that (at least not that I've seen).

FuddRucker
05-19-2002, 11:10 AM
I just used the first computer I had when I graduated HS.

500mhz with (I upgraded ram) to 128

Heh, painNsuffering must be a youngun, I don't think my Atari 520ST with 1.5megs ram, when I graduated high school would be able to handle linux. Man I miss that computer.

Oh and to stay on topic, I keep SEQ running at 2fps, works fine for me. any faster and my 400celeron doesn't web browse as quickly. /shrug.

BlueAdept
05-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by FuddRucker
Heh, painNsuffering must be a youngun, I don't think my Atari 520ST with 1.5megs ram, when I graduated high school would be able to handle linux. Man I miss that computer.

Heh, I got a zenith z50 IBM 8086 pc as a present (My father bought it used from work and still spent 2 grand on it) after my first year in college for computer programming. My friends were in awe of it. Even had a 300 baud modem.

RavenCT
05-20-2002, 10:21 AM
Ooooohhh... and I thought my nice and shiny Apple //e with 128k of ram was good! He he he, I bought that the year after I graduated from HS, I was the first in my area to get the 2400 baud modem a while later! He he he, I still have the machine, with my Zip Chip (8 Mhz 65C02 Processor) and 1 MB of RAM!

Now what am I ever going to do with it and the several hundred floppies (5 1/4 and 3 1/2)???

No wonder why my wife calls me a pack rat :)

FuddRucker
05-20-2002, 12:46 PM
Heh, I got a zenith z50 IBM 8086 pc as a present (My father bought it used from work and still spent 2 grand on it) after my first year in college for computer programming. My friends were in awe of it. Even had a 300 baud modem.

Wow B.A., Very cool...

shadowcat
05-20-2002, 02:18 PM
*sigh*

I recently (within the past year) threw away a box of 8 INCH floppy diskettes from when I was working with some DEC and PDP machines. Tossed my tapes as well.

At least I never kept any of my punch decks from my freshman year! (So glad they upgraded all their remote sites and main site with terminals!)

RSB
05-20-2002, 07:26 PM
My first computer was a Atari 400 I had a tape drive and a floppy disk drive for it.
Hmmm Pack rat...I have a RS6000 with a 19" 1600x1200 grey scale monitor with a whopping 32 meg of ram. Starting it up sounds like a twin engine plane.
Turn on power.
First HDD powers up
30 seconds later 2nd HDD powers up.
Lights dim, neighbors can no longer use cordless phones or
watch tv....hmmm I don't think I can legally start it in a residental area.

Think I should toss the box? Got a 3/4" external tape drive and CDROM for it. Just no software for it anymore 8).

KaL
05-22-2002, 05:49 AM
My first PC was a Commodore 64.. but the oldest PC that I still have, minus OS, is a Sun 4/110.

8 whopping megs of RAM; the original hard drive was 320 megabytes I believe.

The Sun 4's had the first "Sparc" chip even though it's not called a Sparc.

I used to run part of a BBS on it, including an LPmud -- and allowed people to use Gopher and Lynx to browse the web (I had it ppp'ing to my university internet account.)

The cool thing is, it can be bootstrapped from a bootp/tftp server, and I can run BSD on it.

It's got a hellaciously heavy 19" color monitor with pretty good resolution; not sure on the exact res. (Fixed frequency; uses this huge octopus cable with 4 BNC connectors on it.)

The drive tower (had a full height hard drive and tape drive) power supply went out a long time ago, but it's got a SCSI1 cable so you can hook up an external SCSI1 device.

I had plans to use it to export my X display for ShowEQ, but it was too much hassle.

KaL

RavenCT
05-22-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by RSB
My first computer was a Atari 400 I had a tape drive and a floppy disk drive for it.
Hmmm Pack rat...I have a RS6000 with a 19" 1600x1200 grey scale monitor with a whopping 32 meg of ram. Starting it up sounds like a twin engine plane.
Turn on power.
First HDD powers up
30 seconds later 2nd HDD powers up.
Lights dim, neighbors can no longer use cordless phones or
watch tv....hmmm I don't think I can legally start it in a residental area.

Think I should toss the box? Got a 3/4" external tape drive and CDROM for it. Just no software for it anymore 8).

Sounds like to computer that "Clark W Griswold" would own! :)

TweedleDee
05-28-2002, 05:26 PM
Was hopeing someone would mention the Commodor 64. My dad bought it while going through law school. $2,600 bought TWO 5 1/4" floppys, and the SWEET commodor tape deck that actually took cassette tapes :) Loved writing BASIC programs on "tape" that displayed color bars on the television (monitors were too expensive when you could just plug the a/v cable into the pong tv/av switch screwed onto the back of the TV :D )

futuro
05-30-2002, 09:55 PM
OK, I'll just mention my TI-99/44a with 8K ram and the expansion unit with the 300b modem in it. Oh and the Sinclair I had. too...

Oh, the good old days!

:D

Meticulous
05-31-2002, 01:51 PM
:confused:

Just last week I had a client bring a TI-99 to me actually wanting it serviced.

...still picking jaw up off of floor...

Virusmaster
06-04-2002, 10:27 AM
WOW! The trouble I started with the "buy an old POS" line :)

Guess I'll add mine to the war story - Tandy model 4, 64k ram, 2 5.25 drives. Still have it somewhere and now I'm itching to dig it out and fire it up. Come to think of it, that was the last machine I wrote any code for!

Now for my NEW SEQ machine - duron 1g processor, 512mb ddram, 20g HDD and best of all, OS is Windows 2000 server with Redhat running on a virtual PC using Connectix software. BTW, I have NO problems using the virtual switch in the connectix software. Can connect SEQ to any PC on my home network. Best of all, I have burned a backup copy of the virtual HDD to a cdrom so I can fix my SEQ problems when they appear with a simple file copy, or easily share my working copy with friends. Only limit I've run into so far is the resolution at 16bit color is limited to 1024x768 due to the emulated 4mb video card. So far this setup has been really nice.

I think my next upgrade will be my car...

BlueAdept
06-05-2002, 09:21 AM
I actually started out on a Trash 80 model 1. It was my friends, I couldnt afford it, but I spent more time on it than he did. (I think I became friends with him just for it).

It used to have a cassette tape drive. I even wrote some programs for it :).

It has a whopping 2k of memory! (My wristwatch has more than that now :) )

netspyder101
06-06-2002, 05:09 AM
I remember that computer...with the audio cassette drive to store my data on...wrote a pitfall clone on that computer...Hook it up to a standard television and play some good ol' cartridge games

Ahhhh....the nostalgia!

Spyder

TweedleDee
06-06-2002, 03:48 PM
Nah, how bout we port EQ for Linux:p

Yueh
06-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Now I know I'm REALLY sick, I actually have in my possesion one of every computer mentioned in this thread with the exception of the Zenith and the RS6000. Sad. I think if my basement ever burned it would have to be classified a superfund site :D

futuro
06-06-2002, 07:20 PM
When do we change the thread title to :

"Bunch of old geezers talking about crappy old computers"?

My earliest computers worked on :

IBM 360/30

HP 2050A

They both had 8meg of "core memory" <--- really old term for RAM

I still have a box of 80 column punch cards I use for notes.

Quiz for the geezers :

What two "Sections" were allowed under the Data Division in a Cobol program?

First correct answer gets a free upgrade to the lastest seq version :)

Bonus question :

What was the effect of "alter-goto"? (Syntax may be wrong, sorry, it's been a looooonnnnnnng time!)

:eek:

Yueh
06-07-2002, 09:04 AM
Anyone who can answer those questions doensn't need an upgrade, they need euthinasia ;)

/em tries very hard not to remember those Cobol classes :D