PDA

View Full Version : strange error with 8.2 install

TheToastman
05-13-2002, 09:10 AM
As you can already tell, I am new to the forum ( i just signed up today). I am not new to the Show, however. :)

A friend of mine who is very comfortable with Linux has always helped me out. I want to learn, however, so I am trying to set up my new install on my own. Of course, with this learning problems must come up, and I have not seen this particular issue (at least explained in the way that I will try to) posted:

I am using Monkey's guide, and I set up a clean 8.2 install (with iso 1 & 2) & pressed on through the guide as follows:

1) 8.2 installed & chose development package, making sure to choose all of the packages.

2) downloaded qt-x11-free-3.0.4 from trolltech

2a) was not able to perform this step for 2 reasons: 1] pico does not exist on my mdk 8.2 (licensing issue?) 2] when i decided to browse for qt-3.0.4/configs/linux-g++-shared i found it did not exist. Thinking that ALL references to 2.3.2 should not be changed to 3.0.4, i looked in qt2 and was not able to find /configs/linux-g++-shared . i went one more step and searched the HDD for linux-g++-shared also to no avail. i skiped forward to the next step hoping that this was not necessary since i was using 8.2 instead of 8.1

2b) performed this step changing 2.3.2 to 3.0.4 with supposed success, but it did not take an hour... it was more like 10 - 20 minutes. I am using a 933 with 512 mb ram.

2c) performed this step with success. i verified it by opening ld.so.conf during one of my many attempts. I did do one additional thing during my last attempt... i removed the line referring to qt2 (a mistake?) thinking that it was part of the reason that my error below was ocurring.

3a) success

3b) success

4) performed all steps, making sure to be conscious of the case sensitivity. I changed all references to 3.0.1 & 2.3.2 to 3.0.4. During this step (the first make) i get an error stating that the only version of qt that is available is 2.3.1. The steps before this error made successful references to my 3.0.4 files, so I am very confused...

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated. :) Any flames or arse-chewings will not :( (as you can tell, ive been reading here for awhile and i see some trends... )

just think karma before a response is given :D

The Toastman

TheToastman
05-13-2002, 09:13 AM
damn! my first post and it's in the wrong area.... please please flame off!

I will repost in the correct section :(

The Toastman