PDA

View Full Version : Reply from the Announcement Forum

CoolGuyEQ
05-17-2002, 06:33 AM
CoolGuyEQ, seqdef.xml will never be automagically integrated, that's why user settings are in showeq.xml. Most people shouldn't need to touch seqdef.xml. Heck even those running multiple ShowEQ instances technically don't have to touch seqdef.xml.

It's possible some of the checkmarks aren't being set, I'd have to double check. Last time I did they were, but I don't know your exact config or which specific options you are talking about.

Thanks again for the reply. I guess I never meant that the .xml files ever be 'integrated' into the main program itself, moreso than I meant for any changes just be merged into the existing .xml files. I made this statement before understanding that the future CVS updates wouldn't be including the default .xml files anymore, thus, overwriting exisiting .xml files, and thus, overwriting user settings. It's a moot point now, really :)

As for the check marks, it happens for me, anytime CVS installed a new .xml when doing the make install. It would show all the default stats, but the check boxes wouldn't be checked by default. Also, the Show Resists menulist item is greyed out (as of the last CVS update/new .xml) and nothing can be selected there - but no resist information is shown by default.

Beyond that, moving all of the user settings to the interface is a godsend, and saves a TON of time (at least for me).

Thanks,
CGEQ

Zaphod
05-17-2002, 10:37 PM
The only xml file being taken out of CVS is seqdef.xml, integrating changes between the CVS and an installed seqdef.xml would be too much of a PITA. Mostly because the changes in seqdef.xml frequently involve changing system defaults (because we found a "better" default value), the property type has changed (we found yet another thing being encoded as a string or int that shoulda been a font, size, or some such type), the property name has changed (because we found that the previous name didn't relate or just found a better name), or we changed the behavior/meaning of an existing property (see FastMachine where half the behavior didn't make sense).

As to the resists, they haven't been shown in a long time, mostly because we don't know where to find them in the character profile data. So for now we just disable their menu picks.

The check marks next to menu itmes will be, more or less, fixed in my next CVS commit.

I think I should put in a splash screen with the message "Please pardon our appearance during remodeling..." ;)

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

CoolGuyEQ
05-18-2002, 06:45 AM
Hahahah - thanks Zaph :) You guys rock.

CGEQ