PDA

View Full Version : Exp Bug

Vlortho
05-19-2002, 12:53 AM
I have the latest release (4.2.4) and even in the previous release I was seeing wierd negative numbers in the exp window. up in the millions. The exp calculater then shows that I am negative 4 million xp, etc...

If this is not just me is there anyway we can filter the bad exp out? I really want to use the exp estimater so I can tell my girlfriend when I am going to spend time with her. ;)

I've search on this and seen a few posts but nothing addressing the filtering of this data. What source file does the calculations?

Thanks

Cryonic
05-19-2002, 01:10 AM
This isn't a bug and can't really be fixed. Verant is no longer sending exact exp anymore except on zoning. All other times the server sends a drawing update for the exp bar of the character. Exp is just 330 positions now. The negative exp in the exp window is probably from switching chars and SEQ getting the new chars exp and adjusting from the last one.

Try looking at the View menu of the exp window for filtering abilities.

Vlortho
05-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Actually thats not the case. I have 1 character and I just looged on and within 30 seconds I see an entry in the exp window that says I killed a fungi shroom and all the stats on it are fine but the exp gained is -2449199

Throughout the game there will be similar mob entries that have negative exp. Would it be difficult to filter negative valued mobs? Killing a schroom is never going to give you neg exp ever.

I also get lots of 0 stats unknown mobs. Again, a filtering issue would resolve this.

The main problem here is that the exp window calculation become useless. I understand how the exp is sent to the client and the problems related to that but this is a totally different issue.

Cryonic
05-19-2002, 06:09 PM
Could be done, but for now, why not just use the filters it has in the Exp Window -> View menu. Switch from All to something like last 15 min or last Hour.

Vlortho
05-19-2002, 07:10 PM
The Filters dont work or solve the problem. Even if I put last 15 minutes the stats and calculations use all the mobs killed. And that is not addressing the point of what I am saying which is that there is erronious data in the exp log.

Cryonic
05-19-2002, 08:18 PM
They seem to work for me. Sure, if a negative suddenly appears (still haven't seen this happen except when zoning) it will count until the filter (in my case 15 min) moves it out of the stack of consideration. You could also just clear the log everytime you zone, since only during zoning do I see the negatives show up as that is when SEQ actually receives the EXACT UPDATED TRUE NUMERIC exp value as opposed to the approximate exp gained (hence your seeing 0 exp gained from some kills).

I'm not a coder, was just pointing out a temporary option that might help in the short term.

Vlortho
05-19-2002, 08:46 PM
I'm going to look into the source code to see what I can do with the logging. I think it would be easy to filter the data out. I will post the results here.

lildr00d
05-20-2002, 01:01 AM
I have seen this problem as well. For example I am going from EJ to SEB.

Zoneing into EJ - Neg exp
Zoneing into TT - Neg exp (Nothing was killed and no exp was gained while in EJ)
Zoneing into Seb - Neg exp (Again nothing was killed in TT)

This happens 90% of the time I zone. If its just recalculating my exp why does it change everytime I zone even when I did not kill anything to give me exp to recalculate.

Anywas just thought I'd throw in my 2 coppers..

;-)

Vlortho
05-20-2002, 02:10 AM
It really makes the exp meter useless to me. I love the fact I can predict dings and stuff but the -2 million exp for not killing anything is not good. perhaps verant playing with us seq users.

RSB
05-20-2002, 09:21 PM
I haven't been looking at the code but what might be happening is a problem with decoding the intial zone info. So you zone and your info isn't decoded. SEQ gets a update to what your xp bar should show and guesses at the xp. Upon decoding the initial zone data it see's that you are actually a bit under that and you get the messages.

What could be done about this? Well they could hold the decoded information from that last zone until the new one. But no matter what I think of right now I can think of instances that it will be inaccurate a bit.

The xp is still pretty spot on. You can still get a good indication of Dinging within a few mobs (if they are under 1/330 of a level).

three-p-o
05-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Not sure why it happens but when you zone or your first kill after you zone ALWAYS comes up negative... whenever it happens I just reset my xp window and start it over fresh.

Vlortho
05-21-2002, 01:56 PM
the one part that does work really well is the x/330. That works great as well as the xp remaining and the xp calculator.