PDA

View Full Version : Think this will work?

wolflicker
05-31-2002, 05:32 AM
I have an actel dsl modem, 10/100 5 port switch, boca concentrator hub 5 port? oh, the reason i am including the switch
is because for some reason the dsl modem does not like the uplink port on the hub but works great on the switch.

What i did was hook the dsl modem to the uplink port on switch.

Then plugged port one of switch into uplink port on hub.

I plugged one of my computers to the hub and tried to initiate a connection to the dsl modem and it worked! Every single port worked.

So my question stands, Since it is a hub (old one i might add) wouldn't the traffic be broadcasted to all ports? so i could sniff it with my linux box?

Thanks in advance!

fee
05-31-2002, 05:49 AM
yep

Dedpoet
05-31-2002, 06:19 AM
fee already answered the question, but I wanted to throw something in. Some very old hubs, like the concentrator you have, need to have a crossover cable connected to their uplink port for them to work properly. Newer equipment can just use a normal patch cable. If you get motivated, you could pick one up or make one, and possibly eliminate a piece of equipment.

wolflicker
05-31-2002, 06:27 AM
Thanks! i was reading something about the crossover cable and my friend mentioned that he thought i needed it to use the uplink port on the concentrator. But since i am not using the switch for anything i will just go with how i have it now. I think i have the pinout to a crossover cable somewhere. Now to get that damned qt-2.3.2 to compile correctly lol. I have that question posted in seq helpdesk already .

sleestac
06-05-2002, 03:59 PM
crossover cable:

1>3
2>6
3>1
6>2