PDA

View Full Version : Basics on getting filters to work?

sequser
06-01-2002, 04:30 AM
Ok, I am just looking for the bare basics here.

Let me tell you what I did. I went to BlueAdept's web site and downloaded:
zonefilters.tar.gz
luclinzonefilters.tar.gz

I extracted all the files from these (tons of filters_zonename.conf files) into /usr/local/share/showeq/ with my other conf files.

I am using the absolute latest code, I just did an update and rebuild, Sat morning, June 1st.

None of those zone filter files seem to be used, and if I manually do Filters->Select Filter File and pick the zone I am in, it still does not seem to do anything.

I checked the contents of a filter file (ex: "filters_ecommons.conf") to see that it contained a mob that was in the current zone list (ex: "Altunic Jarten"), but when I select "Alert" from the popup above the mob listing I get an empty list.

Is this a case where these are old style filter files and I need to be using the new kind?

I was unable to extract "filters-020529.tar.bz2 ", as its not a gzip file (what is it? can someone give me the command line to extract this file?)

thanks in advance.

Mr. Suspicious
06-01-2002, 07:53 AM
http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf

then

Read the filters.conf.dist file in the /usr/local/share/showeq/ directory

then

http://www.petervandongen.com/images/search.jpg

and then

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102&highlight=filters.conf.dist
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165&highlight=POSIX+style

Have more questions after you did all those? Then ask again.

sequser
06-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Ok, I read all those faqs you posted (why did you put the manual to a firewall up there, were you trying to be annoying?) and I am no closer to getting an answer.

I look in the filters file from BlueAdept and it clearly has the name of a mob that is sitting right there, I see it. But when I select the, "Alert" or "Locate" or "Filtered" or "Hunting" popups, I get nothing in the list.

I have triple checked the spelling in the BlueAdept file and manually loaded that specific zone filter file.

I still get nothing.

(BTW NONE of those faqs you posted actually gives a simple installation procedure, which is what I was asking for. They all go into syntax, etc, which I have no problem with at all)

BlueAdept
06-01-2002, 05:36 PM
quick note.

I changed the file to a tar.gz file. Should make things easier for everyone.

BlueAdept
06-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Couple things to check.

Go into a zone that you know that has a filter file. In SEQ go to the filters tab, and click on edit filters.

If the window that opens has that zone filter file in it with all the filters, then the only thing that I can think of is that maybe your "is case sensitive" is checked and it is missing the mobs.

If you do the same thing as above except it is empty, then it means it cant find the file. Make SURE the files are in the correct directory, that the permissions and the owner/group are set correctly.

If you unzipped/untgzed it in windows and then transfered it to your linux box, it may have put extra characters in the file that could be messing it up. My suggestion is to get the tarball and untar it to /usr/local/share/showeq.

I dont know what else to say. No one else has had this problem that I know of.

Mr Guy
06-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Mr Suspicious you really need to put an arrow on the picture. I don't even want to THINK about all the Feature Requests you could generate with the one you got.

fryfrog
06-03-2002, 02:08 PM
i don't get it... all i can see is that it took me a minute to figure out exactly how it said BlueAdept... does it mean something skanky or something?

BlueAdept
06-04-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by fryfrog
i don't get it... all i can see is that it took me a minute to figure out exactly how it said BlueAdept... does it mean something skanky or something?

You mean the avitar? No doenst mean anything, just my new logo I made.

Blue Adept is a character from a Piers Anthony book (from around 1980-81).

Obadiah
06-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Sequser...

There isnt a compiled "How-to" about filters, or even a list of the commands or flags that are easily avail.

It's a little game the cummunity has set up.. such as ready all of bluewall to find just a simple syntax of the filter.confg file.

There is nothing definitive about ANY filter file you fine on the net. BA has tried to get a complete list... but it is not complete.

Best bet is to make your own as you enter a zone... Seq can give too much info and actually hinder you if you dont spend a few hours working on the filters yourself.

Suggestion:

-Filter out all common low lvl spawns.. (ie Skeletons, pawns & anything under lvl 10.

-Make not of what you seek and put them in [Hunting] or [Locate] header.. such as:
[Locate]

Name:High Shaman Phido (Rarest spawn in SK)

so if you ever happen to enter that zone... BINGO you kill him and you can sell his head to ANY monk for about 4k