PDA

View Full Version : Networking Issues

Compai
12-24-2001, 08:00 PM
I have a Windows XP machine with EQ and I run a machine with RedHat Linux 7.2 with SEQ.

These two machines are connected to a cable modem via a Linxus 4-Port Router. I have read all of the threads concerning Switches vs Hubs so I also have a 8-Port Acer Hub.

I need help networking the Win Machine to the Linux machine to get SEQ working. This includes how to connect the hub to the router and how to set up the IP address or whatever I need to get them to network.

I tried connecting the two machines to the hub and connected that to the router. The Win machine works however the Linux machine does not work on the hub no matter how I set it up. I cannot even see the blinking network traffic light on the linux port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fryfrog
12-24-2001, 09:33 PM
okay, i'll try to describe how things should be hooked up... it might not sound very good when read... and i am not even going to TRY to draw an ascii picture :)

cable modem ---normal cable---> 4 port router device

4 port router device ---normal cable ---> hub1
PORT MARKED UPLINK (usually shared with first or last port) OR PORT with a switch that has "xover" and "normal" settings (you need to switch it to "uplink") the reason behind this is that from hub -> hub (or switch -> hub, or hub -> switch, etc...) you need to use a cross over cable (some of the wires are arranged differently on one end). most hubs have the ability to re-wire the PORT itself instead of the wire, thus saving you from having to make an xover cable.

hub1 ---normal cable--> linux computer
hub1 ---normal cable--> eq computer

okay, so i MIGHT have used SOME ascii looking pictures, so kiss my butt :)

CodeWarrior
12-25-2001, 05:30 AM
Do you get the "link" light to come on, on the hub/router when you connect the linux box?

If yes, have you tried to run a browser to see if you have a normal internet connection?

If no link, did you try switching the connecting cable between the linux and xp machine? What about swapping netcards?

eth0 configured and "up" on your linux box?

Btw, don't expect any blinking on the "activity" light on the linux box... In promischeous mode it just sucks up all packets floating by the interface, it does not transmit anything!

Try telling us a little more in detail what's happening...

Arkaria
12-27-2001, 01:34 AM
Have a look on your winXP machine at what IP your router has leased to it. And then if you need to just assign your linux box an IP manualy and see if you can ping your windows box from your linux box. The linux box does not actaully need to have an internet connection to run SEQ. It just needs to be on the same hub as your EQ machine is.

shadowcat
12-27-2001, 03:10 PM
I have a similar setup at home. I currently have a Linksys router attached to my cable modem. I have one PC connected to the router and I have a crossover cable hooking the router to a Netgear hub. The Netgear hub has 2 Win PCs and my Linux machine hanging off of it.

Since you said that the Win PC is connecting to the internet, it would seem that the cable connecting the hub and the router is working and that your cable modem is configured ok. If there is a problem connecting to the internet from Windows (and the PC is hanging off the hub) then check the connecting cable between the router and the hub. [I initially had a straight-thru cable with a switch pushed on my hub but exchanged it for a crossover. No difference in that.]

Next, if the Win PC is working and the Linux machine is not and both are on the hub, check to see if your Linux machine can ping your Windows machine. Make sure you are pinging the internal IP address you've assigned. If you can't ping the Windows machine I would have to guess one of three things: the cable from the Linux to the hub is bad, the NIC adapter is bad, or more probably, the NIC adapter (eth0) is not configured correctly.

If you can ping the Windows machine but can't get onto the internet then your configuration for the gateway might not be correct on your Linux machine. Check the addresses (IPs) you've entered.

EX:
My router is configured for 192.168.0.1
My Win PCs are configured as 192.168.0.11 thru .13 and they all point to 192.168.0.1 for DNS and Gateway
My Linux machine is configured as 192.168.0.21 and pointing to 192.168.0.1 ...