PDA

View Full Version : New SEQ Wierdness

Joemama
06-06-2002, 09:37 AM
I read the other posts about the random beeps that happen with the new SEQ, so I will let that one go, but there are a couple things I was curious about

The old SEQ, if started after you were already in a zone, would still show your player and grey dots for the unknown mobs, and you could manually bring up the map.

With the new SEQ though, if you start it after you are already in a zone, it's totally useless until you zone or properly load it, as it won't show unknown mobs or your player. And if you zone into somewhere, and the zone isn't popped yet, it only shows you, not unknown dots like previous version so that you could still tell where mobs are.

I have tried checking the "View Unknown Data" from the Network menu in SEQ, but that doesn't really seem to do anything.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I am running seq 4.2.7

Thanks.

Also, why the switch to .xml instead of showeq.conf?

fryfrog
06-06-2002, 10:03 AM
try right click on map, goto "show" sub-menu and look for things about "Unknown" spawns. i ran accross that the other day and turned it on myself.

S_B_R
06-06-2002, 12:23 PM
Also under the "Options" menu you must have "Create Unknown Spawns" selected

bonkersbobcat
06-06-2002, 12:28 PM
It also helps to use the --ip-address startup parameter when you start showeq

BlueAdept
06-07-2002, 07:41 AM
Im using the one from about a week ago.

He is right. Even though I have show unknown, when it segs and you reload, it doesnt show the unknown even though it is checked.

Also has anyone noticed that if you use the find above the map, it works great, till you zone. Then if you enter anything else in it, it doesnt work.

Gullork
06-07-2002, 10:40 AM
--restore-all

Loads the map, shows where you WERE. Kinda nice I guess lol. But now it is all locked up and doesn't even come back when you zone. I end up closing it, restarting it normal, and zoning.

Not whining, just letting you know. Hope this info helps.

S_B_R
06-07-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Gullork
--restore-all

Loads the map, shows where you WERE. Kinda nice I guess lol. But now it is all locked up and doesn't even come back when you zone. I end up closing it, restarting it normal, and zoning.

Not whining, just letting you know. Hope this info helps. Yeah I get the same thing with all the --restore-* options. With one exception, sometimes it doesn't ever bring up the GUI. In the terminal everything looks ok but it just hangs there for a few minutes and eventually ends with the message "Aborted" no error to speak of though.

Zaphod
06-07-2002, 04:16 PM
BlueAdept/Joemama, Unknown spawns will only be created if "Options" -> "Create Unknown Spawns" is selected. And they will only be shown on an individual map if "Show" -> "Unknown" is enabled under the maps right-click context menu. As per version 4.2.0 (CHANGES entry "dohpaZ (11/05/02)").

Joemama, the "random beeps" are either caused by some type of alert match and you have "Filters" -> "Use Audio Device" unchecked or ShowEQ is trying to warn notify you that it has seen an unexpected condition (inability to open some files, seeing more data then expected when joining fragments, etc...).

Gullork/S_B_R, --restore-spawns and hence --restore-all is currently broken which will result in various problems (problem with spawn saving that will be fixed in my next CVS commit). The --restore-player-state, --restore-zone, and --restore-decode-key command line options currently work. Also, remember when you use the --restore-{} options you are using them to recover from ShowEQ crashing (i.e. it was in a bad state) and therefore restoration may not work properly. See the Notes under the CHANGES entry "dohpaZ (17/03/02)" where the ability to save/restore state was added. It specifically warns that "Restoring after a crash will not necessarily result in a stable ShowEQ". Also, make sure not to use these options unless you are actually trying to recover from a crash and are in the same zone/session that the crash occurred in otherwise "WIERD THINGS WILL HAPPEN! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!" (as again per the "dohpaZ (17/03/02)" CHANGES entry). In closing, the --restore-{} are decidedly a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) feature.

bonkersbobcat, you should only need to specify the --ip-address=<> command line option on restoration iff your having ShowEQ monitor the "Next EQ Client Seen". If the user had gone to the "Network" menu and selected "Monitor EQ Client IP Address" and then saved their preferences with that setting it should be unneeded.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

S_B_R
06-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod
Gullork/S_B_R, --restore-spawns and hence --restore-all is currently broken which will result in various problems (problem with spawn saving that will be fixed in my next CVS commit). The --restore-player-state, --restore-zone, and --restore-decode-key command line options currently work. Also, remember when you use the --restore-{} options you are using them to recover from ShowEQ crashing (i.e. it was in a bad state) and therefore restoration may not work properly. See the Notes under the CHANGES entry "dohpaZ (17/03/02)" where the ability to save/restore state was added. It specifically warns that "Restoring after a crash will not necessarily result in a stable ShowEQ". Also, make sure not to use these options unless you are actually trying to recover from a crash and are in the same zone/session that the crash occurred in otherwise "WIERD THINGS WILL HAPPEN! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!" (as again per the "dohpaZ (17/03/02)" CHANGES entry). In closing, the --restore-{} are decidedly a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) feature.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Thanks for the info Zaphod. I wasn't aware that the --restore-spawns was broken, so I'm sure that was my problem. I very rarely use those options anyway so no big deal to me. :D

BlueAdept
06-08-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod
BlueAdept/Joemama, Unknown spawns will only be created if "Options" -> "Create Unknown Spawns" is selected. And they will only be shown on an individual map if "Show" -> "Unknown" is enabled under the maps right-click context menu. As per version 4.2.0 (CHANGES entry "dohpaZ (11/05/02)").

Heh...I should have RTFMed it....I didnt even follow my own advice :)

I havent had much time to look at...let alone use SEQ for the last month or so. Been having too much RL stuff going on.

Gullork
06-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Yea, is no biggie. Like I said, just letting you know in case you didn't already. I see you do though :)