PDA

View Full Version : SEQ on Lindows?

Mr Guy
06-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Did Wal-Mart just make using ShowEQ easier?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/14/1457251&mode=thread&tid=163

high_jeeves
06-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Umm... no? You still have to install all the packages, and ShowEQ.. that like saying that anyone who sells a computer with linux pre-installed (and alot of people do) makes installing ShowEQ easier...

Lindows is just an OS that runs both operating systems apps (or so they claim... i'll beleive it when i see it).. ITs just like running 1 OS then another in VMWare...

--Jeeves

Mr Guy
06-14-2002, 11:23 AM
Show me the mass market brand that sells a computer with VMWare preinstalled, for $199.

Perfect? No.

Easier? Yes.

high_jeeves
06-14-2002, 11:27 AM
1) They are $299 - $599

2) You can buy a no-OS PC for less.

3) Any moron can get RedHat intalled (put in the CD, change the CD when requested)

So, now, as far as ShowEQ is concerned, you are at the same point as with Lindows... I still fail to see how this really makes the process easier (maybe it saves time, but it doesnt really lower the required intelligence bar)...

--Jeeves

Mr. Suspicious
06-14-2002, 12:02 PM
3) Any moron can get RedHat intalled

Ah, but doesn't your own experience prove you wrong here? :D

high_jeeves
06-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, most of the morons here can get RedHat installed, its getting all the right RPMS and ShowEQ installed that seems to baffle them (contrary to the number of step by step walkthroughs)..

--Jeeves

genius
06-14-2002, 04:52 PM
The issue I see is whether or not Lindows supports Everquest which will make it more popular to run it and SEQ on the same box just different windows. Which would add the people who know nothing about networking and/or dont have the money for hardware.

R/S
Gen|us

Cryonic
06-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Does lindows support DirectX stuff?

high_jeeves
06-14-2002, 05:15 PM
I'll be suprised if lindows can run a DirectX (Windows) app and a linux app at the same time... atleast not without an enormous amount of memory... I think lindows is going to be more of a novelty than anything...

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
06-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Just as a follow-up:

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06/18/1344258.shtml?tid=23

Like the old saying goes: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably it."

--Jeeves

muertala
06-19-2002, 12:35 PM
You can easily get vmware from people that share it. Go to download.com and get Kaza its a peer-to-peer client just make sure you have a descent firewall up and lastest anti-virus definitions up, but trust me I tried the vmware route and its not worth the time and effort so I bought another PC p-150 cyrix loaded mandrake 8.2 got a router and a hub and showeq was easy from there only cost me $150. Trust me save yourself 3weeks of headache.

icel0rd
06-20-2002, 04:29 PM
You can download VMware for free from www.vmware.com and get an eval license. What you really need is the key to unlock it, not the installation.

My company got me a copy of it, so I use that now instead of a gangster copy, but if you want to check it out for a period longer than the eval, download he previous 3.x release and do a search for the vmware_license.txt file that works with whatever OS you need. I'm sure if you are resourceful enough (anybody with a friggin browser these days), you can find the key. Just don't waste your time looking for a key to the latest version since it will be MUCH harder to find.

Just my 2 cp. Oh, and no, I'm not sharing my corporate key :)

-Ice-

fgay trader
06-21-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by icel0rd
Oh, and no, I'm not sharing my corporate key :)

Come on, Ice, you know you want to! :p

Seriously though, I tried VMWare before but found that on my pos machine (P3-600 w/256 ram) running Win2k + EQW + EQ + VMWare + RH7.2 + SEQ is just too much, which renders EQ almost unplayable and SEQ useless.

That's when I shelled out $40 (no typo, forty bucks is all it cost me) and bought a P2-300 Case/motherboard/CPU combo, threw in the RAM/HD/Monitor I'd scavanged from the pile of old junk I never bothered to throw away, and voila!

Even if you don't have access to a pile-o-used spare computer parts, I can't imagine the rest of the components costing any more than $100. That's excluding router/hub/cabling, but that's what, another $50 - $100? Still cheap and far less headaches than setting up everything on one machine.

Tux Racer
06-23-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Mr Guy
Show me the mass market brand that sells a computer with VMWare preinstalled, for $199.

That's because he is wrong. It doesn't have VMWare and it isn't like running two OSes. Lindows just is designed to be really really easy to install and use, and it has a modified (improved?) version of WINE (http://www.winehq.com/) integrated into it so you can run some Windows programs on it as well.

WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator", it is nothing like VMWare.

casey
07-06-2002, 04:15 AM
WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator", it is nothing like VMWare.

correct.

wine is just an implementation of the WIN32 API for unix, and vmware is an x86 machine emulator (and by that i mean it emulates the hardware environment, it does not emulate the actual cpu instruction set (ie you can only run code compiled for x86 inside the virtual machine)).

high_jeeves
07-06-2002, 08:37 AM
In my original post, I was well aware of the differences between Lindows, WINE, and VMWare... My point was, being able to run EQ and SEQ on 1 box is going to be just as complicated on Lindows as it would be with EQW and VMWare, I'm sorry if I wasnt clear enough.

As it turns out tho, according to the reviews I have read, Lindows barely runs linux apps correctly, and it runs windows apps through a slightly modified version of WINE... so, basically, its the same as running RedHat + WineX... It is mostly vapor... All the reviews I have read pan it, because you have to pay $99 to get download access to free software. Its a debian based system, so apt-get is available, but if you are buying a $400 machine from WalMart.. do you know how to apt-get, or are ya gonna pay the $99?

--Jeeves