PDA

View Full Version : Windows Services for UNIX 3.0

gopher_bin
06-19-2002, 08:54 AM
Has anyone gotten a win2k box to run as the Gateway/NAT box succesfully using Windows Services for UNIX 3.0, its an add on for windows 2000 , costs 99 bucks.

If anyone has any expirience with it I woudl love to hear some input.

Thanks

UnGod
06-22-2002, 05:13 AM
Try looking up something called ICS or Internet Connection Sharing, comes default with win2k?
(should be able to find it by checking the properties of your network adapter :P)

gopher_bin
06-24-2002, 07:23 AM
I was under the impression that ICS did not allow you to communicate with a linux box? ... Im trying to figure out how to set up a ShowEQ linux box on a windows 2000 network is what im saying =p

satmodem----win2kserver-----hub----multiple xp/2k boxes

I want to stick a showeq box in there ..
I have showeq currently running on a network with a linux box as the gateway ... I want to get it up on another network now
that has win2k gateway.
I can add hubs or whatever I need.

Anyone done this?

S_B_R
06-24-2002, 07:53 AM
ICS will work with anything you put behind it. The rest of your question dpends on what box you are playing EQ on.

If you are play EQ on the gateway win2k box then you'll either have to use udpecho. As long as you are NOT using PPPoE you could configure your network something like this:
Satmodem
|
-------hub-------
| |
Linux/SEQ |
|
Win2k/ICS
|
hub
|
Rest of your networkIn this configuration your Linux box would either need an IP from your ISP or an Unroutable IP, and would be pretty much useless for anything but SEQ.

If you are running EQ on any other machine on your network (i.e. NOT The gateway) then it will work just fine. Just put your Linux box on the "Rest of your network" like usual.

fryfrog
06-24-2002, 08:21 AM
actually, i think he might be semi-stuck using a win2k box if that satalite modem doesn't have drivers for linux. but just fyi, "ICS" is actually just ms's version of NAT. it will work with any os, just like nat. just don't try and play eq on the gateway device and you won't have any trouble at all :)

satalite -> win2k (ics) -> hub (real hub!) -> seq, eq, other computers

S_B_R
06-24-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by fryfrog
actually, i think he might be semi-stuck using a win2k box if that satalite modem doesn't have drivers for linux.
satalite -> win2k (ics) -> hub (real hub!) -> seq, eq, other computers

Yeah I was just assuming that it had a RJ45 Jack on it, like most Cable and DSL modems. If it requires special drivers then it's doubtful it will work...

gopher_bin
06-24-2002, 02:09 PM
It is connected via USB.

And no im not going to be playing EQ on teh gateway.

Thanks for clearing that up, for some reason I assumed that only windows boxes would work behind a windows gateway using ICS ...

S_B_R
06-24-2002, 06:47 PM
You're all set then. Just makesure your Hub is A "real" hub... Do a search on "Linksys" or "hub" or "switch" if you need clearification on "real" hub. ;)

RetroEQ
06-28-2002, 12:55 PM
ICS works fine with Redhat ... no issues at all.

RSB
06-30-2002, 08:02 PM
I had a problem with XP's ICS. But then I think it is a XP problem with the TCP/IP stack as I tried using Sygate and it didn't work either.

set up was as follows

ADSL
|
5 port hub
| | |
| | XP running ICS or Sygate and controllin the ADSL modem
| Win 98SE Box
Mandrake 8.2 box

Now both the XP and the 98 box could run EQ fine
The XP box could do everything
The 98 Box could almost surf the web. It would find the web site but then it was like it could never connect fully.

Linux box couldn't even ping anything but SEQ worked fine

The XP box was not running a firewall. It only had 1 network card in it.

Finally gave up on it and threw together a P100 with 96meg of ram (got to do something with that old ram) and a 2 gig drive and put Smoothwall on it. 20 minutes after installing and everything worked fine. Biggest drama is in the installation Smoothwall asked what password I wanted for "Admin" and when I connected into the box I put "Admin" as the userid but it is actually "admin"

I had 2 MCSE's look at the setup and they couldn't figure out why
it wasn't working.

high_jeeves
06-30-2002, 10:56 PM
There is a bug in single network card ICS in 2K and XP.. It took me a week to diagnose the same problem.. I finally found an article about it on MSDN... (Sorry.. no link).

Basically.. the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) causes a problem.. The MTU is set on the network card level, so if a packet from inside the ICS with a size equal to the MTU, it will be too large for the same network card after processing by ICS, and will bounce off the network card when trying to send it out to the network. It does not correctly report the fact to the inside machines (98, Linux for you) that the MTU needs to be reduced.. The was some workaround posted, but it never worked for me.. basically, you need a second network card, or second machine..

--Jeeves

RSB
07-01-2002, 01:58 AM
high_jeeves - thanks, that makes sense. EQ Packets would be small thus get through probably but web pages would have larger packet sizes.

Anyway got me off my but and putting in a proper firewall with 2 NIC's in it. Set up now is

ADSL modem
|
Smoothwall box
|
5 Port Hub
| | |
| | XP Box
| 98SE Box
Mandrake 8.1 Box

Works great connection only goes down due to the ISP (which seem to have major troubles lately) but if it hits 5% down time I don't pay for the month and it was down for 5 hours the other night. Shit 5% is a day and a half.....well its scaled I'll get like 10% off for that down time or something.

Smoothwall was one of the easiest things I've ever installed.