PDA

View Full Version : Compiling ShowEQ 4 in Mandrake

fryfrog
12-27-2001, 08:08 PM
man, i thought compiling showeq 4 in mandrake would be just about as easy as compiling it in redhat 7.2, since the distributions are fairly similar... but NOOOOOOO...

they should add zlib and zlib-devel, as well as gdbm and gdbm-devel to the requirements of getting it working :) maybe libpng and libpng-devel as well. i managed to find rpms for these, but they were mostly NOT mandrake rpms. i was lucky to find i686 versions of them though, so i didn't have to spoil the whole "compiled for the pentium" ideal of mandrake :)

i haven't totally finished testing, but i think mandrake might make a better showeq (and X) workstation than redhat, due to the heavy optimization for i586+ (redhat is optimized for i386). it may be kinda fruity, but once its up... i feel that it runs a lot smoother than redhat does.

Override
12-27-2001, 08:26 PM
I have always been fond of mandrake. So, I was gonna wrastle (not wrestle) it until i nailed it. I managed with all the mandrake packages off the (cheap version) distro cd's. However, i did download and compile qt, and as i found out, it was nessisary. Good luck fryfrog!! SEQ4 gave me the most trouble of all the versions to date.

fryfrog
12-27-2001, 09:30 PM
so you were able to find all the required rpms on the mandrake cds? i looked (albiet, not as hard as i should have) but did not see a few of them. i also discovered (after a few re-tries) that having "xxx" installed didn't matter until i installed "xxx-devel" :)

monster69
12-28-2001, 08:48 AM
I am running Mandrake 8.1 and have SEQ 4 working great. The only piece that was not on the CD's (downloaded version) was the QT. Grab that from the site indicated elsewhere.

I had issues with compiling and all that but all those issues have been addressed in other posts. Mostly making sure that your gcc3 and g++3 are being used to compile QT (with the -thread option) and SEQ will take care of most issues.

Good luck!