PDA

View Full Version : Don't make TOO much fun of me :)

Tag
12-27-2001, 10:59 PM
ok here it is, i have 3 boxes...1 i am putting redhat 7.2 on, and 2 with WinXP and EQ on them...what i want to do is set up SEQ to work on one of them...now i have limited networking skillz hehe and like no *inux knowledge so be gentle...basicly i just want to know how i have to set everything up (hardware - do i have to put 2 NICs in the linux box?) and as for the software part mostly i think i can mess with it until it works using Zaphods guide...hopfully...basicly any ideas that would curve me from a common mistake that a linux newbie would make

Thanks in advance!!
Tag
yeah i'm stupid but i CAN learn i sware heh :confused:

RedRover
12-28-2001, 12:54 AM
If you use cable you will need 2 nics in the linuxbox, or any other type of outside-world connection that requires a nic, you will also need a hub that goes from the linux box to the hub
so it should be
Cable modem (assuming you use cable)
|
Linux box
|
Hub
/ \
winXP1 winxp2

hope that helps

Tag
12-28-2001, 02:06 PM
it goes from my ethernet jack to my first NIC in the Linux box...then from the second NIC to the uplink port in a hub...then the 2 XP machines go to the hub right?

ok i live in a college dorm so i would have to get an IP address for the linux box then?
also how should i install linux? use the server option?

Thanks in advance
Tag

Override
12-28-2001, 04:39 PM
I don't know about redhat, but im setup to recieve an ip from DHCP on my mandrake box. You might check with a tool like linux config. I'll bet you already have support for this by default.

quack
12-28-2001, 05:13 PM
Just to point out a silly solution. If you KNOW you will only want to use two computers on the inside of your linux box, you can always put three nic cards in the linux box and forgo the hub. (i.e. 1 nic to the outside network, and 1 nic for each of your EQ computers). This may be a cheaper (yet less versitale) solution.

As for how to install your linux, I've only installed Debian (although I have worked with Red Hat, Mandrake and Suse). It shouldn't matter how you install it as long as you make sure you have NAT in the kernel and DHCP installed and properly configured.

quack

Tag
12-28-2001, 05:35 PM
well we each have ip's assigned to us at school so would automaticaly getting an ip from DHCP work? also i already have the hub so no prob there

Thanks in advance
Tag

quack
12-28-2001, 06:01 PM
If your linux machine is assigned a static ip address, then it does not need to run a DHCP client. Many univeristies will assign you a dynamic address everytime you boot up, thus a need for a DHCP client.

As for your internal network, you can either assign each machine an address, or you can run a DHCP server (that's what I do) and then any person who plugs a machine into your hub will be automatically assigned an address for your network and be able to play with you.

Quack

Tag
12-28-2001, 06:24 PM
say i want to play <insert random game such as half-life> online with someone on my other PC...can we connect to the same game server since we are connecting though 1 ip...cause the internal DHCP ip's don't mean squat to the outside world right?

sorry if i am asking the same questions over and over hehe

thanks in advance
Tag

monster69
12-28-2001, 08:21 PM
Yep, your other games will work as well. Your linux box will NAT/PAT your inside (your little network) addresses to the outside (address assigned by the Univ. on your Linux box. It takes care of the translation and tracking for you.

note: NAT = Network Address Translation
PAT = Port Address Translation

Tag
12-28-2001, 08:27 PM
so do i use the college assigned IP as a gateway and DNS then for the XP machines then?

monster69
12-29-2001, 12:02 AM
College assigned DNS yes. Gateway will be your linux box. Your gateway is always on your local ip subnet.