PDA

View Full Version : Seq on Redhat 7.3 up and hot

seqjoe
07-08-2002, 01:26 PM
I have this wierd luck with all things technical basically I have found I can make almost anytng work if I stick with it long enough. Friday I decided it would be kewl to build a computer, install Linux and install SEQ.

The catch is I know nothing about Linux and only looked around a little here before doing this. I paid particualr attention to the install instructions for ver 7.2 of Redhat and the compatibility issues with 7.3. I even SEARCHED *gasp* on Redhat 7.3 and found some good info. I was tempted to install on 7.2 but I had to try the most recent release first. I did find some instrucitons for 7.3 somewhere else but they where wrong.

So... I build a PC. Had all the parts but a CD ROM which I did not really need but the machine looked neeked without one. (PIII 866, 6 GB HDD, 128 MB of ram).

Had an old 5 port unmanaged hub, hooked that up to a port on my switch. Put my windows and linux box on tha hub.

Download Redhat 7.3. Made a few coasters trying to get a good set of CDs and finally just put the drive from the Linux box in my Windows box, made a 2 gig fat partition and moved the install files there. Tried both Nero and Burnwrite but none of the disk would pass the media check... I'll go back and figure this out later /rude ISO image files.

Ran the Redhat install without a hitch straight off the HDD. When prompted what components to install I selected everyting. More is always better right?

Downloaded and installed the right compiler, packages etc.... downlaoded installed, compiled seq etc...

Restarted, gave the user acocunt I created the proper rights and fired up SEQ.

Fired up my EQ and viola....SEQ is up and hot on my new Linux box.

I came back here and found the link to the filter file. Installed that and life got even better.

Anyway... life is good with SeQ the game is much more fun. I like knowing exactly where I am, being able to find mobs quicker, and knowiing ahdead of time whats around that next corner...

This is my first expierence with Linux... I like it! Gonna go get a book tonight and learn more I think.

Anyway... thanks for the info and thanks to whoever keeps SeQ current. Your hard work is appreciated.

fryfrog
07-08-2002, 03:41 PM
good job :)

Dblackfeather
07-13-2002, 08:02 PM
Hehe... I had more trouble getting Mandrake 8.2 up and running than SEQ.
USB IS A PAIN!

And yes, good job on getting it done right the first time ;) Reading the boards really pays off.

Kris Kringle
07-17-2002, 07:03 PM
The prob i had with RH 7.3 is that the different mirror sites seem to have different (incompatible) revisions.. took me a while to figure out to get it all from one spot, and then try it.