PDA

View Full Version : Dual Processors and SEQ

BlueAdept
07-16-2002, 09:32 PM
I have the chance to upgrade my system to dual p3 450 processors. I was wondering if SEQ was coded to take advantage of dual processors. I know it is a long shot, but I thought I might ask.

I probably wont have it for another week or so.

high_jeeves
07-16-2002, 10:55 PM
Yes. And even you should search ;).

--Jeeves

BlueAdept
07-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Heh..actually I did search for dual processor. It turned up 3 threads but none of them said anything about SEQ being muti-threaded.

I probably should have expanded my search though but was tired.

monster69
07-17-2002, 07:59 AM
LOL!

No one escapes the "Jeeves Smackdown"!

casey
07-17-2002, 08:14 AM
heres a hint, the -mt in qt-mt that showeq links against, stands for -- multi threaded. If you want to find all of the explicit app level threading in showeq,

grep QThread /path/to/showeq/src/*

You also have to take into account the different processes responsible for making showeq happen, showeq itself, X, your window manager, etc. Having a second processor will benefit all of these since you can know have 2 processes running concurrently.

fryfrog
07-17-2002, 08:52 AM
and let me tell you, i can FEEL the difference between 2 procs and just one... ANYWHERE. i think arstechnica.com or 2cpu.com refered to it as the "creamy smoothness" of smp.

i run 2-4 sessions of seq and listem to mp3s all at once... system NEVER feels sluggish EVER. now, sometimes seq is kinda sluggish itself but that is isolated in its window as i can flip to other virtual desktops and be going along at normal speed.

just be sure to use "time make" then sometime later try "time make -j3" when you are re-compiling showeq... :)

Exo
07-17-2002, 11:34 AM
I just did a search for "search" and it returned 313 threads most of them from Jeeves, man I wish he would stop posting redundant information!

S_B_R
07-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
and let me tell you, i can FEEL the difference between 2 procs and just one... ANYWHERE. i think arstechnica.com or 2cpu.com refered to it as the "creamy smoothness" of smp.I know exactly what you mean I used an SMP box for a long time as my primary system. I really miss that feeling.

Originally posted by Exo
I just did a search for "search" and it returned 313 threads most of them from Jeeves, man I wish he would stop posting redundant information! Man I wish you would post useful or topical information!