PDA

View Full Version : RTFM : So im sitting here at work bored

Slam
07-17-2002, 06:40 PM
Ya know I came on here a week ago? And started reading all these post about "Try search first"...
At first I felt they were a bit harsh. But now sitting here at work (ISP Tech Support) I’m in the Operations, the place where every other tech turns to when they are stumped... Reading over some of their messages I understand all of these Use Search posts, and only wish that I had the luxury to tell my techs this. I am getting some pretty stupid and N00bie questions from alot of my techs.
If only I were allowed to walk to there desk and put a "RTFM" Post-it on there forehead. :CRY:

This is my Life, This is my Hell, This is my source of Income to pay for Everquest.

Slam

Ps. Hey I like that quote, might have to start using it more often LoL

S_B_R
07-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Yep, I know exactly how you feel... I was "Director of Technical Support" :rolleyes: for a Medium sized ISP for 3 years...

BlueAdept
07-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Yup...Im a tech in the main office for a 5 star resort who supports 4 properties. I deal with all the stupid questions over and over on a daily basis.

Im in the same HELL that most of us are in...

PainNSuffering
07-18-2002, 08:18 AM
My god am I glad I quit doing that for Compaq!

now I do it for a slightly more respectable company, at least I have cut down the "it dosent work, what should I do?" to at least once a month instead of 3-4 times a day.

LordCrush
07-19-2002, 01:50 AM
Hehe i am working as a consutant for softwaremanagement and doing 3 rd levelsupport too :rolleyes:

Yes you need to have an ip-address to connect to your mailserver - no, the mailserver is not broken

:D

Dedpoet
07-19-2002, 06:15 AM
IT Manager/Network Admin/Unix Admin/Tech Support Flunkie here. The building I'm based in is small so I get to do everything.

/sarcastic cheer

SeqTester
07-19-2002, 07:18 AM
I am actually like 5th lvl support at Ford Motor Company (Actually called "Assistant Technical Architect") and have not had to deal with People for a long time. Of course I don't miss people, people suck. At least to us Techies they do.

Just keep remembering, the only reason we make the money we do in IT is that 1% of the people hold 99% of the knowledge, so all them stupid questions are the only reason we make as much as we do.

BlueAdept
07-19-2002, 07:35 AM
I wanted to share the most stupid response I have ever gotten from someone at our organization.

I got a call and she said that her screen was blank. I asked her if she was using a computer or a monitor. When I heard dead air, I tried to narrow it down for her. I asked if there was a mouse next to the keyboard. Her reply was "No there isnt, the exterminator was here last week". I hung up the phone, I just couldnt deal with it. She only lasted about two weeks or so in our company. Unfortunately, there are plenty more like her in the company.

There is a department on our sixth floor. I got a call saying that their keyboard doesnt work. I go up there and they were right. When I stood the keyboard up on end, a whole bunch of coffee poured out of it. They all denied that anything was spilled on it. Two days later they did it again to a brand new keyboard.

Thank GOD I dont work for a company like Dell or Gateway. I would probably have to shoot myself in the head to be able to deal with people.

SeqTester
07-19-2002, 07:43 AM
I used to work for a company owned by IBM called "Technology Service Solutions" what they where was a service sold to people like (Real customers) Gateway, Acer, Packard bell and a few other Retailers that where to big to do there own Warranty work.

Well I had seen everything from CDs jammed into 5-1/4 Floppy drives (Remember those?) and even one time someone Folded up a 5-1/4 Floppy to jam it into a 3-1/2FDD. I had one guy that had a Gateway and I had been sent there to replace his CDRom drive for the FIFTH time, well at the time I was a heavy smoker and when I went into this house the Stale smoke smell made me sick even though I just finished my own cigarette just before going up there. Well to make long story short (Too late) the drive was "Nicottiened/Tared" into the PC so bad that with all the screws out I could lift the PC by the CDRom.

/em is glad its Friday

Dedpoet
07-19-2002, 08:15 AM
I just had this one this morning...

Got a call from our main administrative assistant that the color printer wasn't printing her job. I check the queue on the NT print server, and sure enough, there is her job submitted 23 times with an error sitting on the first job. I have her check the Jetdirect box under the desk (they tend to get kicked) and she says the activity light is blinking. I check the other queues on the server and they are working fine. I can ping the Jetdirect box.

Hoping to save me from dealing with her in person (/agree Seq Tester about most people) I asked her what the display on the printer said, and she said, "It doesn't say anything, the power is off."

I am not making this up. This happened an hour ago. Thank God we have 1/2 day Fridays in the summer here...

SeqTester
07-19-2002, 08:17 AM
/em adds more clorine to the Gene Pool and crosses his fingers.