PDA

View Full Version : OT- linux distro's with gcc3.1

Pigeon
07-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Anyone know of any linux distro's with the only compiler being gcc 3.x? I'm not talking about the multitude of distro's out there that have an optional gcc 3.x package, but a complete system built on the 3.1 compiler. The only one I know about is Gentoo 1.3- are there any others?

I'm sorta just wondering for the sake of curiosity- I don't myself switching from Gentoo anytime soon... it's just too good. =)

Dedpoet
07-21-2002, 05:32 PM
I'm not an expert, but a shove in the right direction might be Distrowatch (http://www.distrowatch.com). It looks like Sorcerer might be able to pull this off. I don't know much about Sorcerer except I have read that it builds very slowly but runs very fast. I didn't spend a ton of time looking, but there are a LOT of distros listed there. Check it out, maybe you'll find the next best thing...

casey
07-22-2002, 01:51 PM
sorcerer is a source distro like gentoo.

i wouldnt be surprised to see debian moving to gcc 3.1 in the near future since woody just went stable, nows the time for changing stuff like that.

casey
07-23-2002, 11:42 AM
the masses that limit themselves to binary rpm distros now have a new easy way out, mandrake 9 beta 1 is based around gcc 3.1.

Wolffe
07-23-2002, 01:54 PM
I saw on distrowatch.com Redhat 7.4 Limbo Beta is also 3.1.

I just burnt it to cd's ... Gunna try it out in a bit.

May go ahead and get the tar for Gentoo 1.3b and see what thats like too.

flipper
07-23-2002, 04:04 PM
Mandrake just released 9.0 beta1 ISOs yesterday. It is a GCC 3.1 based distro compiled for i586 architecture.

The best way to get GCC 3.1 and optimizations that are tailored for your system architecture is to go with one of the "roll your own Linux" varieties (e.g. Gentoo, Sourcemage, LFS).

Mandrake will be releasing new betas every ~10 days or so until the final 9.0 is complete (schedule for Sept). Gentoo is about to release their 3rd beta (1.3c) with native GCC 3.1. I'm not sure what RedHat's schedule looks like, but I would assume they would be later than Mandrake, Gentoo, and Sourcemage.

Post back and let us know how your bleeding edge experience goes :)