PDA

View Full Version : my head hurts

caveman
07-24-2002, 12:56 PM
OK just wondering what i should do...i know little about linux and programming and found the lingo here to make me wanna beat my chest and scream kinda like the prehistoric man did. I have 2 comps a hub, dsl, network adapters. And would just like to know what route i should take. I have scoured the boards all morning and my head hurts too much to try to think of how to get SEq rolling for me :) i have read and am aware of the Faqs and walkthroughs...just want to know the best OS to use and any other thips not mentioned to make this a bit more workable.\

i know that the procedure to get Seq to run and use its features NEeds to be difficult and i would'nt have it any other way...it weeds out all the peeps that dont deseve to use it. But i am just asking for a shove in the right direction...then i will pull out my hair on my own getting things configured and running.

any tips will be greatly appreciated

*note*
Specs of all gear inc in next post :)

thx!!
-Caveman

high_jeeves
07-24-2002, 01:00 PM
What tips do you want exactly? Read the walkthrough and the FAQs, those make it about as easy as it is going to get. If you need more information on linux in general, go purchase a book, or read documentation at one of the various linux websites.

--Jeeves

caveman
07-24-2002, 01:05 PM
for the record i hate being a Blackborrow gnoll :|

anyways ok here it is

com1: *dont laugh too hard*
P3 500
384 mb sdram
20gb partitioned HD 2(C and D)-10and10
10/100 Network everywhere fast ethernet adapter
voodoo5

com2 *by now your laughing*
pentium 233mmx
64mg ram
20gb partitioned HD 2(C and D)-10and10
10/100 Network everywhere fast ethernet adapter
voodoo3
56k modem

Linksys 10/100 5-port workgroup hub that i used to connect the 2 comps together to internet share. yea i know i need to get a router and get them both on the dsl line then run it through the hub...as well as install linux on the 2nd comp. But what version? i read conflicting reports on what OS is the best. WHat do you all think?

fgay trader
07-24-2002, 01:20 PM
Tip: If you're not a Linux expert don't do anything fancy and go for the easiest setup. I'm talking about the Linux distro being RedHat 7.2 and using a hub instead of making your Linux box a gateway with 2 network cards (unless you know exacly what you're doing).

Another tip: Make sure that your "hub" really is a hub and not a switch. This will avoid a whole bunch of problems getting SEQ to run properly. If you search the boards for the keyword "hub" you will find tons of info on this subject.

One more tip: Follow the installation HOW-TO's to the letter! Skipping steps = possible future problems leading to SEQ not compiling.

Last tip: Do your homework before asking for help on these boards (good advice for any board actually ;) ). Folks tend to tear appart people who post questions that were already answered 100 times or that can be easily found elswhere on the web.
You said you knew a bit about Linux, but I'd still recommend picking up a book on whatever distribution of the OS you end up using for reference.

Good luck!

caveman
07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
bah i know the knowledgable peeps here at seq read teh same noob ass questions often....so i know they need to vent so vent on me :) as with all the readin g i have done prior to posting i know that the experts are upset from the newb questions that resurface..and still help us ...while calling us dumbasses so vent :)

ok so looks like ill go with redhat 7.2 :)

gonna set this up and start grinding my mind into oblivion.

wish muh Luck! =D
thanks for the input/help

-caveman

Dedpoet
07-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Make sure you follow your own advice too. You will need a router if you want both machines to have Internet access. Seq will work without it, but installation will be a pain, as you will have to keep shutting one machine down so the other can get net access. Spend the 60 bucks on a router, make sure your hub is a hub (as stated above), download RH 7.2, and follow the install guide to the letter. It will work the first time and you will be happy.

Mr Guy
07-24-2002, 02:05 PM
I respectfully disagree. Mandrake 8.2 is much easier to install from a total dumbass perspective than Redhat, you just end up with different packages.

I'd go Mandrake 8.2 and learn how to use a tool called MandrakeUpdate (rpmdrake).

urpmi == aptget for retards (which is why I like it)

Mr Guy
07-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Oh, and on your system, it beats mine.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1067&highlight=266