PDA

View Full Version : Maps crash ShowEQ

horse_sense
07-30-2002, 01:44 PM
I am the only one who notices that when you open some maps, they crash Show EQ to desktop? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a limit to the amount of information that a map can hold?

My machine has plenty of disk space and RAM (512 meg). This seems strange.

Horse

S_B_R
07-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Never heard of this problem before.

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 02:12 PM
which maps?

horse_sense
07-30-2002, 02:58 PM
The latest map that I have problems with is the jaggedpine.map I downloaded from Catt's post. I can open SEQ and then open maps (F1). Select Jaggedpine.map and 50% of the time, I get a crash to desktop. I have kept up to date on the CVS, so the release is current.

Cryonic
07-30-2002, 03:25 PM
any messages in the terminal window that SEQ was started from? Is a core file generated? If so, search for backtrace and post the trace to the dev forum to help the developers fix the problem (if there is one).

Mr. Suspicious
07-30-2002, 05:34 PM
I usually get crashes that after I added something and made a typo. If I'd type a "." instead of a "," then it crashes ShowEQ. It also happens when I for example forget to add a "," between two digits: "100-100" instead of "100,-100" or when I mistyped something like: ",,". But these are all "guaranteed crashes" =) Let's see.... can't see anything wrong with Catt's latest jaggedpine.txt

There's one other time I noticed this "random crash", it's when the number of locations do not match the actual numbers:

M,Line,3,111,112,113,211,212,213,311,312

this _should_ have been:

M,Line,3,111,112,113,211,212,213,311,312,313

What I noticed about this one is that, sometimes it doesn't draw that particular line but draws the rest of the map, and sometimes it crashes SEQ. BUT, it would ALWAYS (wether it crashes or not) state a message "blahbla.map, line X, number of points not matched" or something similar, in the terminal window.

But as stated before _I_ can't see anything wrong with Catt's file.

Catt
07-30-2002, 09:27 PM
I had problems with maps crashing SEQ a while back, I did a clean checkout, applied my local patches and recompiled.

No troubles since.

DocDavid
08-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by horse_sense
I am the only one who notices that when you open some maps, they crash Show EQ to desktop? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a limit to the amount of information that a map can hold?

My machine has plenty of disk space and RAM (512 meg). This seems strange.

Horse

I was having the same odd problems. Found I just had to make sure i compiled from scratch... ALthough I didn't wipe out the directory and do a full cvs copy I did the following:

make clean
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure --enable-old-compiler (cause i have the old qt installed)
make
make install

Cleaned up all my problems. Just a simple start from scratch basically.

Mr. Suspicious
08-30-2002, 08:26 AM
It's the "make install " part that takes the newly downloaded maps from the directory they were placed in during your CVS checkout and places them into the /usr/local/share/showeq/ directory, if you do not use the "make install" part your maps will NOT be overwritten with a fresh set.