PDA

View Full Version : odd map updating

NobodySpecial
12-30-2001, 11:44 PM
Anyone have their map updating wierd? Not sure what's going on or why it's doing it, but it's only updating random dots on the map. All the spawns are listed in the spawnlist window, and if you highlight them there a line is drawn to the correct position, but the dots just simply do not show up.

Also, as a wierd case, I was in FG earlier and I was walking through the town, and the town was updated correctly. Walked halfway across FG and the town was now barren.

Any clues?

Zaphod
12-31-2001, 08:41 AM
Sounds like you have spawn depth filtering on. Do you? If you have spawn depth filtering on it only shows spawns that are within a certain range of height around you ((Player Z + Head Room) to (Player Z - Floor Room)).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dophaZ)

NobodySpecial
12-31-2001, 09:20 AM
thanks Zaph. You nailed it. As far as customizing, I assume the Head/Floor is the raw Z axis value. Can the default be customized per map? Perhaps whether or not it's on at all?

example: spawn depth would be very useful in Ssratemple, but hardly useful at all in The Grey...

Zaphod
12-31-2001, 09:48 AM
Glad to help.

The "Spawn Depth Filter" can be enabled/disabled on a per-Map basis and the Head/Floor Room can also be set on a per-map basis. The Head/Floor values are applied as deltas to your players current Z, using the formulas I gave in the last post. To set the amount of Head/Floor room go to the "Bottom Controls" sub-menu of the right click menu and enable "Show Depth Filter Controls". You will then see Head and Floor Spin boxes which you can use to adjust the values. These Head/Floor values also effect what map elements are displayed if your "Map Line Display" is set to "Depth Filtered".

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dophaZ)

NobodySpecial
01-01-2002, 06:38 AM
Is there any way to configure these options in a .map file? So they wouldn't have to be reconfigured when you zone into another area that doesnt require spawn depth filtering?

Basically when you zone into Runnyeye, the map was made to (and I'm just pulling numbers out of my ass) be read properly with spawndepthfiltering with +/-75, but spawndepthfiltering isn't required in either Gorge or Misty Thicket, or keep running to Ssratemple and the map would automatically switch the spawndepthfiltering to Z+/- 200.

Maybe I'm lazy. Trying to figure out the best way to automate all this.

Perhaps by adding a "#spawndepthfilter,1,75,75" type thing to the .map file format? Something that wouldn't break existing maps (would assume it would get get ignored, or default to 0 (off)), but could be used to more effectively use this feature, which imo kicks ass.

Zaphod
01-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Feel free to add the feature.... ;-)

Just a couple bits of advice, choose an unused letter to specify the option, something like 'F' and it should be ignored by versions that don't support that option. So as per your example but of the form 'F,1,75,75'. Don't forget to add error checking, and make sure to add it to map save. Also, add a boolean flag (settable in the config file and available as a menu pick) to specify whether a particular map instance will follow the values for Head/Floor Room specified in the map file on a per map basis.

When you're done, submit it to the "Patches" Sourceforge section http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=310131&group_id=10131&func=browse and will be sure to integrate it quickly.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

winseq
01-01-2002, 11:48 AM
I had been thinking about this. Things like zoom and depth filtering might be better if there were implimented on a zone-by-zone bases. But instead of added new options to the map file parser, it might be better to make it part of the showeq configuration options. Since showeq.conf is getting pretty crowded as it is, it might also be a good idea to have a seperate conf file for this (eg: maps.conf) or individual conf files per zone (eg: FreportE.conf).

Any thoughts on how you'd prefer this sort of thing to be implemented?