PDA

View Full Version : Session Management Error

Wolffe
12-30-2001, 11:57 PM
i get this error when it starts but it still loads:

Session Management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

After this message ShowEQ Loads but will not do anything but show blank maps, also it doesnt seem to be recieving packets, i have my IP in the showeq.conf but i am pretty sure the error above is holding me back ( i could most definitly be wrong)

Any help at all is greatly appreciated

Yendor
12-31-2001, 12:11 AM
While an error, I do not believe it effects showeq in any way. I used to know more about that when I was an X11 programmer... but that seems a lifetime ago.

Your error sounds as if packets aren't getting to your linux machine. Either you are not running as root, or your machine isn't seeing packets going to your EQ machine (ie they aren't on a shared network media).

Just my guess.

Wolffe
12-31-2001, 12:14 AM
Hmm, so i am still at the same problem of it not finding the datastream for EQ.

Oh well i am still stumped. I appreciate the info on that error though. Any suggestions on where to go next with my current problem?

thanks again

Yendor
12-31-2001, 12:19 AM
Heh. I edited my message on you, check it now.

Wolffe
12-31-2001, 01:00 AM
LoL, Thanks =)

Ok, maybe its late, or maybe i am just stupid. I believe they are on shared network media, let me give you a brief rundown on my setup:

Cable Modem attached to Linksys switch attached to 5 port hub, my Linux box and my EQclient box are attached to the hub. I can ping my eq box from my linux box.

Also I am running showeq as root.

So am I just stupid?

Prolly so LoL... Beat ya to the punch.

So as always... Any help is appreciated :D

Stryke
02-02-2002, 04:52 PM
It looks like I'm getting the same error message when trying to run showeq. The full text of the error is:

Using config file '/usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf'
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
Loading filters from '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'
Opcode Logging Mask: 0 0 0
Listening for client: 172.0.0.0
Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Filtering packets on device 172.21.13.11, IP host 172.0.0.0
pcap_error:pcap_open_live(172.21.13.11): bind: No such device

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

-Stryke

P.S. before anyone asks, I'm running showeq as root on a RedHat 7.2 box.

BlueAdept
02-03-2002, 08:26 AM
I get the same message about the session management but SEQ works fine for me.

I do not run xwin as root. I run it as a user. In the shell window I start SEQ as root though.

S_B_R
02-03-2002, 11:18 AM
It looks like you have the wrong IP address in the showeq.conf file, or you are specifying the wrong IP on the command line when you launch showeq. Also it looks like you have an IP address for the device name in the showeq.conf file.

Look for the "Device" line under the [Network] section of showeq.conf. That should be set to the physical device showeq should be listening on i.e. eth0 or whatever device it is in your box. Next look for the "IP" line (should be the next line down) and make sure that it is set to the IP address showeq should be listening for i.e. the address of the box you play everquest on.

Cryonic
02-03-2002, 01:19 PM
or your hub isn't a hub.

on linux as root:

tcpdump -i eth0 | grep <Windows box IP>

on windows open browser and surf.

Do you see more than just ARP and BROADCAST packets going by:

Yes: Hub
No: Switch

If No, won't work, get a different hub.

Stryke
02-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Well, it turns out it was my hub. I was using a Netgear Dual Speed Hub (DS108). tcp dump wasn't showing any trafic on my eq machine, so I swapped in an old picket hub I had. Works great now. Thanks for the help all.

-Stryke

Halb
02-07-2002, 12:52 AM
I was using a Netgear Dual Speed Hub (DS108). tcp dump wasn't showing any trafic on my eq machine, so I swapped in an old picket hub I had. Works great now.

FYI, I have this exact model hub and SEQ works just fine and dandy for me. I do get the session management thing too, but I have been getting that since early v3.0 and doesnt affect SEQ on my box at all.

fryfrog
02-07-2002, 01:10 AM
i've never used that brand/model hub before, but do you have ANYTHING at all that runs at 10mbit hooked up to it? i know that my linksys hubs work because i have a 10mbit router hooked up to the hub (my router has two old isa 10mbit network cards in it). the first time i saw people complaining about linksys hubs not being hubs, i thought they were full of shit, cuase mine worked. after a few creative networking experiments i found they were right :)

but, by having a 10mbit device that ISN'T your eq or seq box hooked to the 10/100 hub-switch, it really becomes a hub on EACH of the 10mbit or 100mbit segments (but not between them).

Stryke
02-11-2002, 08:15 PM
hmmm, actually my hub has quite a mix connected up to it. It has 10mbs ISA cards, and 10, 10/100mbs PCI cards.

My showEQ machine has a 10/100mbs PCI card while my Everquest machine has a 10mbs ISA card.

Sounds like what I'm seeing is pretty much in line with what FryFrog saw. Good to know. Thanks.

-Stryke

yassar
02-12-2002, 04:16 AM
Guys, check out my post http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=497 there. I hear that the netgear hubs do the same thing. Make sure your nics are all running at one speed. Let me know what you turn up please..I'm writing a book entitled "Annoying things stupid hubs do to irritate people who just wanna camp the AC without going insane"