PDA

View Full Version : Updating Patches/CVS... touch of help or pointers please

TriggerHappy
12-31-2001, 10:33 PM
Hello,

I managed last week to fairly easily install the new ShowEQ 4.0.

I read that Zaphod has updated the CVS tree. I would like to learn how to use the CVS system to update my files.

Of course, it would be great if someone posted an idiot's guide, but I would like to rise above the level of the down-trodden... can someone point me to somewhere I can learn about how to accomplish the update and remake the install?

Appreciate it.

Trigger:D

Zaphod
12-31-2001, 10:54 PM
cd into the showeq source directory and do the following (example based on bash shell):

$ cd <yourdir>/showeq
$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
$ cvs login
$ cvs update
$ make -f Makefile.dist

Then make sure any environment variables you need to build ShowEQ are setup (CC, CXX, QTDIR, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc...).

And then

$ ./configure
$ make

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

TriggerHappy
01-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Uhm... Zaphod are you and Angel?

Worked perfectly.

Thanks!

a_corpse00
01-03-2002, 04:17 AM
A slight problem:

login as: root
Sent username "root"
[email protected]'s password:
Last login: Thu Jan 3 04:46:20 2002 from 192.168.1.11
[root@lbj /root]# cd showeq
[root@lbj showeq]# export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvs/root
[root@lbj showeq]# cvs login
(Logging in to [email protected])
CVS password:
cvs login: authorization failed: server cvs.seq.sourceforge.net rejected access to /cvs/root for user anonymous
[root@lbj showeq]#

How could I screw this up?

Zaphod
01-03-2002, 06:47 AM
a_corpse00, oops. there was a typo. substitute "/cvsroot/seq" where you see "/cvs/root". I"ve edited my earlier post to correct the path.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

a_corpse00
01-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Zaphod. But it appears that I've run into another snag (oi). It bombs out on libtool.

[root@lbj showeq]# ./configure
(snip)
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed
[root@lbj showeq]# whereis libtool
libtool: /usr/bin/libtool /usr/local/bin/libtool /usr/share/libtool
[root@lbj showeq]# libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52)
[root@lbj showeq]#

What could be the problem? :confused: I'm not quite adept enough to find a solution on my own...

Edit 2: Removed foot from mouth. :Þ

I "updated" libtool along with PHP this morning, so that's probably where the snafu is ... but the docs said seq should work with higher versions.

Yendor
01-03-2002, 08:49 AM
ltconfig is autogenerated.... so that is kind of odd..

might try deleting config.cache and running ./configure again and also check that you have plenty of disk space available and valid permissions to create/write files in your showeq directory.

EDIT: if you changed the version of those tools probably need to re-run "make -f Makefile.dist" as well to regenerate the files using the new tools. I bet that is it.

a_corpse00
01-03-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Yendor
EDIT: if you changed the version of those tools probably need to re-run "make -f Makefile.dist" as well to regenerate the files using the new tools. I bet that is it.

The directory containing the source, maps, and all was rm'd and a new directory tree was created by cvs co showeq. I changed to the newly created showeq directory and did make -f Makefile.dist, then ./configure. That's where it bombed out above.

Edit:
Followed these steps--
cd ~/showeq
rm -rf showeq
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs co showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
Bombs out, complaining about ./ltconfig.

:confused: :)

troll
01-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Just curious... How often should I be updating? I have seen a lot of changes being posted in the Annoucements section, and wanted to know if I should be updating my ShowEQ each time a post is made. I have noticed some changes are made and then the next day those changes are removed because of a problem.