PDA

View Full Version : Question

chickenfry
01-01-2002, 10:21 PM
Ok ran into a snag and seeing if someone can see what I am doing wrong. I am reconfiguring since i was using QT 3.0.1. I got additional rpms for redhat, and got qt 2.3.2. I untar Qt in usr/local and renamed QT 2.3.2 dir to QT. Untar SEQ there as well. Configured fine, did make fine as well. Now trying to do make install and getting an error of "no rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

Should I be doing make install from same directory? profile has proper pathing for QTDIR. It points to usr/local/qt. Can anyone shed some light?

IcewraithUK
01-02-2002, 02:18 AM
Are you trying to make install the QT or Showeq? Not particularly clear :)

If it's QT, there is no make install, you just make it and it's done.

chickenfry
01-02-2002, 04:13 AM
Cool thanks. im used to old way hehe. Aye then I am done I guess. Is there configure for showeq?

chickenfry
01-02-2002, 04:24 AM
Ok well basically everything seemed to configure ok. Make went fine as well. I show nothing in usr/local/bin like alot of ppl have. Tried to type showeq to initiate it but no go. No file or directory found.

Zaphod
01-02-2002, 06:34 AM
chickenfry,
What did you do to make showEQ?

Did you do the following:

$ make -f Makefile.dist
$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
<type in your root password in response to su>
$ make install

after of course setting any required environment variables (such as CC, CXX, QT, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH) to point to the correct C++ compiler and Qt library? If not, please do that.

Also, pay attention to what the link step created. Certain versions/configurations of autoconf seem to like to append ".C" to the end of the file names of certain binaries. We've fixed it for a number of cases, but some versions may still be doing it.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

chickenfry
01-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Zaphod thx for all of your help bro. That worked. Hehe been along time since i configured showeq. Hehehe. Only problem is it gives me an error that needs compiler of 3.0 or higher. I have gcc 3.0.2 and gcc++3.0.2. My Rpms are currently in RPM folder and in root. it doesnt seem to be locating them though to do the configure for showeq. Also I wanted to get your advice. When you untared and compiled QT, I know its done in usr/local. Did you do same with showeq or did ya compile showeq within your QT dir. I have seen some ppl do it that way. What do you recommend?

Zaphod
01-02-2002, 09:47 PM
chickenfry, I would suggest you read this thread: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

chickenfry
01-04-2002, 08:47 AM
is it ok to use binutils-2.11.92.0.12-8.i386.rpm? Seems to be all thats available. Or at least could ya put that back on your ftp site if its neccessary to have. I am having trouble finding that one and i do error when installing it.

Yendor
01-04-2002, 08:58 AM
binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9 off the RedHat 7.2 CD works for me as far as I can tell.

chickenfry
01-04-2002, 09:13 AM
hmm i keep erroring out that glibc-devel-2.2.4-20.i386.rpm is not a rpm package. I have tried many sites but still no go. Any suggestions? The dependencies fail as well because of.

Yendor
01-04-2002, 09:24 AM
If you are using RedHat 7.2 you can use the versions of everything (except qt) that are on the CDs. I don't think you stated what distro you are using....

EDIT: If you are using 7.1 and following Zaphod's instructions for that it's possible you need a newer version of rpm itself. But I don't know that for a fact, just an idea.

chickenfry
01-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Lol im still running 6.2 hahah. i know its old but til i move to another comp will have to be that way. Previous showeq ran fine til luclin changes. Any tips?

Yendor
01-04-2002, 08:45 PM
Zaphod may know better about the feasability of using 6.2

But I gave up trying to get it to work via rpm updates and just installed 7.2 (was a trick with a 512Meg drive and a CDROM drive that was only about 80% reliable).

Have you upgraded to a version 4 of RPM? I had trouble getting even that to install and it went downhill from there with cross-dependencies breaking as I tried to install lower and lower level things (like glibc). Eventually I tried to force install something and my entire system went belly up.

But if you were determined to get it to work I think I would try to build gcc3 from sources, then qt 2.3.2 rather than any of the RPMs (which will have been built with libraries/headers for later development environments than you are going to have for 6.2).

But Zaphod may know better as I thought he mentioned actually having done it.

All told I am happy with my reinstall of 7.2 (and a recycled 6Gig drive and taking apart the CDROM drive to unjam some gears filled with gunk... so much happier system overall).

Hope that helps some.

chickenfry
01-04-2002, 10:48 PM
I started out ok. I did fresh install of 6.2. Then configured QT 2.3.2. It went fine with no problems. The only time i ran in to issues was configuring showeq. The make -f Makefile.dist was great to. I did the configure and said the only problem i had was i needed a compiler 3.0 or higher. i hadnt installed any rpm's yet either. As in rpm -Uhv glibc........ So that was my main snag and I was seeing if Zaphod could walk me through and thats when he pointed to the thread for 7.1 and 7.2 users install.

I am stuck on that thread during reconfigure cuz alot of the rpm's wont install. Some say they are not valid rpm's leading me to try from different sites and maybe thinking the distro i am using. Although everything seems ok up to the point I am struggling with the compiler error. Seems i had read a previous thread in regard to that error but I cant remember haha. If this seems familiar pls let me know. Thanks for your help so far.

I am running 6.2 on a P200 128mb ram and 1.6 gb HDD. haha i know its barebone but this is all i got right now for it. Been working ok up to now.

Yendor
01-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Well gcc3 is the whole point. You need gcc3 installed and you need to build qt-2.3.2 with gcc3 (can't use any of the standard RPMs for it as they use gcc2, and probably can't use zaphod's RPM with your version of RH, though I could be wrong).

Most current RPMS use RPM 4's format, RH 6.2 has RPM 3 and that is probably why you are unable to install them. Theoretically you should be able to get RPM 4 for RH 6.2.

I'd still suggest getting RH 7.2. I am using it on a 233Mhz Pentium and showeq runs perfectly happy there. (or switch distro's, from what cassey says debian sounds very nice to setup even on limited machines).

In anycase to persist with RH 6.2, you will need to download the gcc3 sources and try to compile it yourself. I can't offer much advice on this process as I haven't done it in several years.

Good luck. It should be possible to do, just will take a little work.

chickenfry
01-05-2002, 09:21 AM
you know how big 7.2 is? I am on a small harddrive.

Yendor
01-05-2002, 10:24 AM
You have plenty of space, I fit everything showeq needed on a 512Meg drive. It was a pain though having to fit a full qt distro on it to compile along with everything else, but once I could delete the excess qt stuff everything fit well enough. 850Meg or so would be quite comfortable and you wouldn't have to do anything funky or even have to do a custom install I don't think. Just a suggestion.

chickenfry
01-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Ok I forgot i had a copy of 7.1. Giving it a shot.

Zaphod
01-05-2002, 03:53 PM
If you can install 7.1/7.2 you can install Qt using the RPM's I posted about here: http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

chickenfry
01-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Ok got 7.1 installed but now having a problem logging into root. Getting IO error when I try to do StartX. Hmm maybe time to upgrade. This may put me out of the loop for a bit.

Yendor
01-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Post the exact message you are getting on that IO error.