PDA

View Full Version : not detecting packets...

hepkat
01-01-2002, 10:31 PM
computer A = Windows XP with Internet Conection Sharing(two NICs, one is hooked up to the net, and one is hooked up to my network hub)

computer B = Linux Redhat 7.2 with compiled ShowEQ, program works fine(one NIC, hooked into the network hub.)

computer B has DHCP on, and automaticaly has an IP. I can ping it's IP from my computer A and it works, and vice versa. computer B can access the internet through computer A.

When I run showeq, it's not detecing any packets.

maybe I have this setup wrong, can anyone shed some light on my problem.

Zaphod
01-01-2002, 10:46 PM
In your configuration since the machine with the Internet connection (computer A) is also the one EQ is running on (assumption in light of missing detail) then the packets will all go directly out onto the internet and never appear on the internal network.

You need to either use another Internet sharing method, possibly have the linux box do the sharing of the Internet connection (there are a number of ways to do this in Linux).

As long as the machine you are running EQ on is directly connected to the Internet the packets will never go over the local network.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

hepkat
01-01-2002, 10:57 PM
ah okay, I knew it.

Thanks.

Lemurq
01-02-2002, 06:52 PM
I had same setup and problem, so I went out and bought a router,hub combo. Still couldn't get it to work, then I read that I actually had a SWITCH and not a HUB. For efficiency, the switch only sends packets to specific NIC and does not broadcast over the internal network like a hub does. I still had my old cheapo hub, so I set up as follows:

cable--router--hub--all PCs

Works fine like this. Good luck!

hepkat
01-03-2002, 10:05 PM
I DID IT!

cable -- hub - computer A + computer B

I turned off DHCP on the linux box, so it's invisible on the hub, and doesn't have an IP. The hub repeats all the packets over the network and the linux box sniffs it. My friend help me with it, so I can't really explain it. But it works :) ./showeq -i eth0