PDA

View Full Version : SUSE - QT 2.3.2 - GCC 3.0x - KDE 2.2.2 broken

LordCrush
01-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi all,

i use suse 7.3 and compiled gcc 3.0.3-src from GNU.org and the qt-lib-2.3.2-src direct from trolltech. seq can be compiled with this and works fine with the twm-windowmanager.

But i cannot start the KDE on this box. I get a bunch of errormsgs (if it is required i can post them).

I upgraded the KDE with SUSE rpms to KDE 2.2.2 and used SUSE qt-rpm 2.3.2. With this KDE works fine but seq will not compile. (again masses of errors - unknown symbol and so on).

If i change back to the qt 2.3.2 compiled with gcc 3.0.3 myself, seq is compiling and working - but not KDE.

I suggest that SUSE RPM was compiled with gcc < 3.00 and that is the cause of the problem.

Has anybody a clue ?

Thank you in adavnce !!!

To the developers:
=============

Compiled the last CVS today - Great! :) Map panning is working with middlemousebutton

Great Job: SEQ 4.0 - Manny thanks for Your work ! :D

- Lord Crush

casey
01-02-2002, 04:44 PM
you need to compile qt on your own, not rebuild the rpm. If you rebuild the rpm you are getting rid of your gcc-2.9x compiled version, and every program that uses it (KDE) will fail to work.

reason in short, g++ 2.9x and g++ 3.0 makes binaries in a different way, and you cannot mix and match objects. So if KDE is compiled with 2.9x, QT must also be. you need to maintain a g++ 3 compiled version of qt somewhere else that wont conflict with the system version (unless you recompile everything that uses it).

LordCrush
01-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. I suggested that...

But i donīt know howto maintain 2 different versions of qt-lib on the same system - one for seq and one for the rest ;)

regards
- Lord Crush

casey
01-02-2002, 05:23 PM
find zaphod's guide for redhat users in one of these forums and read it, it will be applicable to suse.

Yendor
01-02-2002, 06:28 PM
LordCrush.

Install/build the gcc3 version of qt in a different directory (/usr/lib/qtgcc3-2.3.2 or /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 are suggested).

Then when you go to configure showeq use the line "./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qtgcc3-2.3.2"

That should take care of managing two different versions of qt. With recent CVS changes the path to the gcc3 qt should be compiled into the showeq binary making it a little easier to maintain multiple qt libraries.

Hope that helps a little.

LordCrush
01-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Hi,

works great - thank you very much.

I compiled SEQ with "--with-qt-dir=" option! Now i have the KDE running. The Windowmanager is much better!

Again many thanks for your help :)

- Lord Crush