PDA

View Full Version : Problems with libtool

a_corpse00
01-05-2002, 12:13 AM
I updated Libtool to 1.4.2 according to the docs that came with the tarball (./configure make make test make install) and whenever I try to build Showeq now I'm given this error:

./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

How do I diagnose the cause problem and resolve it?

Yendor
01-05-2002, 07:30 AM
What distro and version of linux are you using?

a_corpse00
01-05-2002, 04:29 PM
# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.2-2 ([email protected]) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-79)) #1 Sun Apr 8 19:37:14 EDT 2001

Yendor
01-05-2002, 05:56 PM
That is very odd.

Do you have both

libtool-libs-1.4-8
libtool-1.4-8

installed?

What command did you use to install libtool? (what flags to rpm)

KennySP
01-05-2002, 06:21 PM
./ltconfig: ./ltconfig: No such file or directory
configure: error: libtool configure failed

Now, I'm no programmer specifically, so I don't know if this file is created by configure, or if it is one that should be on your system, but I do know a bit about unix...

To me it looks like it is looking for ltconfig inside the directory that you are running the configure script. Is it supposed to find the ltconfig in your path? Or is ltconfig created by the configure script?

Where is ltconfig located on your hard drive? Looks to me that configure is trying to use one that isn't where it should be?

KennySP

a_corpse00
01-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by KennySP
Now, I'm no programmer specifically, so I don't know if this file is created by configure

I'm pretty sure its generated by `make -f Makefile.dist`

Yendor, I did not use the RPMS, but rather the tarball.
Here is how I installed it:

gzip -d libtool-1.4.2.tar.gz
tar xvf libtool-1.4.2.tar
cd libtool-1.4.2
./configure
make
make test
make install

Did I goof up by not using the RPMs?

Yendor
01-05-2002, 10:16 PM
I really can't say.

libtool
automake
autoconf

Are all closely related. So its possible that the tarball installation of libtool placed files in different locations than the (RPM?) installed versions of autoconf and automake might be looking for them.

I'm not sure why you need to update them, I seem to recall I was able to run make -f Makefile.dist and configure using the tools standard with RH 6.2, so I would think the versions with RH 7.1 would work. I could be wrong quite easily.

So one thing to do is remove your tarball installed libtool and reinstall the RH 7.1 versions.... or remove your RH 7.1 versions of all those tools and install latest versions from tarballs. Not sure what order, would guess libtool then automake then autoconf.

Hope that helps some.

a_corpse00
01-06-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Yendor
I really can't say.

libtool
automake
autoconf

Are all closely related. So its possible that the tarball installation of libtool placed files in different locations than the (RPM?) installed versions of autoconf and automake might be looking for them.

I'm not sure why you need to update them, I seem to recall I was able to run make -f Makefile.dist and configure using the tools standard with RH 6.2, so I would think the versions with RH 7.1 would work. I could be wrong quite easily.

So one thing to do is remove your tarball installed libtool and reinstall the RH 7.1 versions.... or remove your RH 7.1 versions of all those tools and install latest versions from tarballs. Not sure what order, would guess libtool then automake then autoconf.

Hope that helps some.

Had to update for PHP 4.1.1. :) How do I remove the package?

Yendor
01-06-2002, 10:05 AM
rpm -e "package name"

to get a list of packages installed:

rpm -qa

to find the packages you are interested in regarding this:

rpm -qa | grep libtool
rpm -qa | grep automake
rpm -qa | grep autoconf

remove the resultant packages. reinstall from tarballs. and maybe it will work. alternately you should be able to find rpms of all those packages at the levels you need. but whichever. hopefully you have enough info now to find a solution.