PDA

View Full Version : IP Packets

nicknice2001
01-06-2002, 04:59 AM
Ok, I've read lots of posts on this subject but Like the dork I am, I'm still confused.

I have a WinMe box with 56k dialup modem for EQ and a Linux Mandrake 8.0 Laptop for SEQ. Both are hooked to a SoHo hub and able to ping each other. SEQ runs but no packets.

Is there any way this configuration can work? or do I have to use the linux box for the dialup. The darn linux laptop has a Lucent Microelectronics WINMODEM that I can't get to work.

If the later is the case, can someone please point me in the right direction to end this SEQ setup nightmare.

Thanks

casey
01-06-2002, 08:24 AM
if you are playing EQ on the box with the internet connection, you arent going to see packets. Packets will depart from the windows box and directly go over the dialup, never traversing the lan so that the linux box can see them.

nicknice2001
01-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Can anyone tell me how to set that up or point me to a resource on the web. Is that the masquerading I've been reading little snippets of. I'm not network literate so, please forgive the ignorance.

hepkat
01-06-2002, 08:38 PM
This might help, this is what I did.

computer A = winxp box running EQ (has an IP)
computer B = linux box running ShowEQ(has no IP)

cable modem --> hub -> [computer A] + [computer B]

I turned off DHCP on the linux box, so it's invisible on the hub, and doesn't have an IP. The hub repeats all the packets over the network and the linux box sniffs it. I used this, because there is no IP ./showeq -i eth0

Though I'm not sure how you will do it with a dialup. Goodluck.

nicknice2001
01-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for input. I wish we had cable in our area. I think it would be easier to set up for seq. Your config seems to be a common one. Unfortunately, I only have 56k dialup so, I have to dialup through the linux laptop.

56k Dialup<-->Linux SEQ laptop<-->HUB<-->WinMe EQ

My prob now is the laptop has a Lucent Microelectronics Winmodem that I don't think has any driver support for Linux. I did find one winmodem driver that might work. Gonna try soon.

Thanks again.