PDA

View Full Version : Book to Big Screen - Who, what, where and Why!

Ratt
01-02-2003, 04:41 PM
Since I don't have anything terribly deep and meaningful to post...

I thought a fun thread would be to see:

1. What book would you like to see turned into a movie.
2. Why?
3. Who should direct it and why.
4. Who should star in it, and why.

One movie I would love to see make it to the screen is White Light by William Barton. While this book will never find a widespread audience, it addresses several interesting issues that I think we might have to deal with in the not TOO distant future. If you're kinda squeemish about some things *ahem*, then this book isn't for you... but it would make a great movie.

However, I think it would probably fall flat as a movie, because the directors and movie studios would be too wussy to handle the content in an adult manner. They'd be too afraid of the public.

But, for a director, I'd like to see James Cameron possibly. I was at first thinking maybe Ed Norton as the lead, but he's a little too scrawny, and then suddenly... I'm thinking, you know... Christian Bale (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/p/ChristianBale-1000845/) would make an excellent lead. I'm not dead set on that though, if anyone has read the book and has a suggestion. :) He's gruff enough to handle his on-screen profession and I think can produce enough belivability to pull off the scenes. Maybe not though.

fgay trader
01-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Many of the books I'd love to see on the big screen are far too encompassing to fit into the 2-hour movie. Multiple movies have their cons also: I don't particularly like waiting a year to see the next part of the saga (or 25+ years to see the prequels :p), I prefer it much better to have it all in one week, as in Spielberg's "Taken". After Taken's success on the Sci-Fi channel I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more would-be movies go the way of a TV mini-series.

Timothy Zahn's "Conqueror" trilogy would make a nice big-budgetted TV mini-series. Also Asimov's "Robot" and "Foundation" sagas would rock on the small screen.

Not sure who I'd like to see dirrect or star in those, just as long as it's not Leonardo DeCrappio or the AI's Osment boy ;)

Mr. Suspicious
01-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Jack Vance's "Darkprinces" five-ology. Pretty much all of Vance's books would make good movies.

crazzi
01-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Salvatore's Dark elf trilogy would be great to see.

a_necro00
01-06-2003, 05:46 PM
And what about Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvouz with Rama four books.

I know I know that is in pre-production but I don't really believe it, I think that the site just got stuck. :D

http://www.rendezvouswithrama.com/index.htm

Also, some more information at Coming Attractions:

http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/rama.html

HNY

a_necro00

baelang
01-06-2003, 08:44 PM
eon

Exo
01-10-2003, 03:51 AM
wies and hickman, Darksword

Dragonlance, with the twins

Fallout, the movie :)

Pyzjn
01-10-2003, 05:34 AM
I would like to see a live action Discworld Movie. Not a movie version of one of the books cause I dont think it would work well but a Movie Screenplay written by or colllabortating with Mr Pratchett based in the Discworld. Director is a tough choice but the sort of passion that Peter Jackson put into LotR is whats required cause it would just flop if it ended up like the Dungeons And Dragons movie.

On reflection I can think of one book that would probably work Pyramids. Orlando Bloom would make a good Pteppic and Christopher Lee has Grand Vizier written all over him. A CGI camel for YouBastard and Kylie Minogue for Ptraci.

Hmm that all sounds rather like a dream I had err...... anyway I'd go and see it.

Pyzjn aka Fippy :-)

Virusmaster
01-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Anything by Raymond Feist :)

hai_hai
01-12-2003, 03:46 AM
Chronicles, and if they do well ...Twins

Lisa
01-16-2003, 06:17 AM
I'm happy that Ender's Game (http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/ender.shtml) is being turned into a Movie (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html).

Something that isn't a movie right yet? I think all of the Tom Clancy books should be (re)made true(er) to the books: Go three hours long if you must. Just make them -- I think it would be a very compelling (and lucrative!) series of movies.

megonzo
01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
I dont have much to say , but always wanted to post something. So this is probably my first and last post. And in this section , I hope I wont getted flamed to bad.

Thanks !
:D

Dark
01-27-2003, 11:16 PM
What about the Death world Trilogy or Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison.

Time wars by Simon Hawk.

Let the flaming commence :p

fgay trader
01-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Dark
What about the Death world Trilogy ... by Harry Harrison.

I don't think they'd be able to find enough bodybuilders for the extras ;)

edstarke
01-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Absolutely the best book (and one that would do well on film) would be George Martins "A Clash of Kings". Awesome fantasy with real political intrique as rival houses vie for power. The characters have incredible depth!

Circles
01-30-2003, 12:01 AM
a remake of starship troopers... thats faithful to the book, not completely fucked over by some liberal idiot.

directed by charolton heston, or someone else the understands the importance of weapons, and can fully express the meanings of the book.

who to play the characters?

Rico... the dipy kid they used in the mexican. he has that "im in the wrong place" look.

the rest dont matter... you almost never see them anyway.

oh... and show the god damn armor. its 90% of the friggen book.

jgorrell
01-30-2003, 03:47 AM
The Shannara Series :) Love em.

deveraux
01-30-2003, 08:42 AM
The Thomas Covenant series .. a hero that you just love to hate.

fizzlemaster
01-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Snow Crash,
and a Real well done version of Neuromancer and Count Zero,
other then that a Epic Jacksonesk version of The Wheel of Time series,

Lyroschen
01-30-2003, 01:31 PM
The Aprentice Adept series by PA. Primarily "Split Infinity".

Would like Lucas to direct, although it wouldn't matter as long as ILM did the special effects.

Toby McGuire could play the Blue Adept/Style since he's got that misleading, innocent appearance.

addicted.to.eq
01-31-2003, 06:55 AM
I truely would like to see a movie about Michael Moorcocks Saga
Elric of Melniboné.

spacemarine
01-31-2003, 07:14 AM
Not so much a book, but I would love to see a movie based on the Warhammer 40000 universe.

Any other players out there?

AbaddonxXx69
01-31-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I think that would be a cool idea. There is certainly enough material out there to grab a great story for a movie. Sadly though you'de probably end up with massive amounts of cheese and the movie would be geared at the kiddies, because of course the mass media would have you believe that kids are the only people who enjoy games like that. Adults are supposed to be working on their lawns or fixing their house or (better yet for them) watching TV in their leasure time.

Just be prepared for the cute little goblin comic-releaf character who can never shoot cuz his gun is jammed then he has to throw a rock but it bounces off something and comes back and hits him in the head, then he falls down and the gun goes off.

scooby_x
01-31-2003, 12:37 PM
I would like to see The Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield turned into a movie. The way he tells the story of the 200 Spartans at Thermopylae is very well done.

Xeo = Not Vin Diesel!
Leonidas = Ed Harris - Ed is just cool
Dienikes = Bruce Willis, George Cloony - because of their usal quiet but powerful nature
Polynikes = The Rock w/ acting school
Xerxes = Alan Rickman
Alexandros = Brad Pitt with broken nose - pretty boy

It would be fun to have a tall gangly comic-relief Spartan who could never do anything right, and during one of the battles a Persian Torso got stuck on his leg holding a spear, and while trying to kick it off he unwittingly killed 7 or 8 persians and dismounted a few Persian Cavalry. They could give him a real cute accent, maybe like broken Jamaican.

unknown_errors
02-01-2003, 09:37 PM
the books they have made movies out of have been good so far but they did it ass backwards, knida like startwars. but i like dune much more then startwars.

Gullork
02-02-2003, 12:17 PM
This would have to be a series thing though, like 24 or something. Also, they'd have to wait until he finally finishes the series (assuming #10 didn't, haven't read it yet).

mxedisn
02-03-2003, 12:01 AM
The Honor Harrington books would be kinda neat seen on a big screen...

Sean Young as Honor Harrington? Some kinda badass CGI for Nimitz?
Personally, I found the Honor Harrington books to be seriously rockin'. If you've not read them, and like any of the following:
Star Trek
W.E.B. Griffin Books
Tom Clancy Books

You should check out the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.

Honor is a seriously competent starship commander.

Chutney
02-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Dune - The original movie had decent acting, but the deviation from the actual story line was unacceptable. The sci-fi mini-series, while not really deviating from the story line obscenely, had the budget of a high-school play ... and it showed in acting & props. An honest attempt at this would be nice.

Ender's Game - Gawd I hope they don't fuk this up. Such a good book. I hope they follow up with Ender's Shadow.

Here is a plug for my favorite non-mainstream sci-fi author ... Daniel Keys Moran. I'd LOVE to see Emerald Eyes & The Long Run put to the big screen. The Last Dancer might be a bit too long & complex, however (even if it does answer a lot of questions from EE & TLR). Armageddon Blues, a standalone work, might be a good sci-fi series if they budgeted it correctly, as well.

wolfy
02-04-2003, 12:21 PM
The books i would like to see made into a movie, would be the nightsdawn trilogy by peter hamilton.

book one starts with the Reality dysfunction. a technological society with colonists breaking into new worlds, comes across something which threatens everybodies lives.

a great selection of books. heres someones review form amazon:

These books (and I've read all that have been released) have captured my imagination like few others have. They are filled to the brim with techno-gadgets, high-tech ideas, and statements on the human condition. Fast-paced action and a storyline where you have to know what happens next. Science Fiction mixed with the frailty of our all-too-human lives, enemies that are multi-dimensional, not your typical "save the universe" space opera. All these things and more describe this insanely epic story!

take a look: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446605158/qid=1044382659/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2371288-2952122?v=glance&s=books

LaBlade
03-05-2003, 03:54 PM
I'd love to see the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant done, but I don't think we have the ability to describe the other world in a movie. I mean "sound's have colors, smells have pitch and timbre". Even ILM can't pull that off yet. :)

Enders Game would be neat, but you do have all the kiddie violence.

My pick would be "The Ninja", by Eric Lustbader.

wolfy
03-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Another set of books i would like to see in the movies..the Wheel of time series, by Robert Jordan

all about a young lad and his 2 friends that get caught up in a world of plots, mysteries, special powers, evil creatures, strange people, and lots lots more.

The young boy named Rand is the one who was born to fight the evil one, prophicised to die saving the world...long long story...12 books now, and still he's writing more....

can't wait for the next....

and they released harry potter? sigh, strange people.....

gremlinz
03-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Heehehe I am just post crazy recently

Dark Elf trilogy - R.A. Salvatore

Vampire Assistant Chronicls - Daren Shan

Zodiak, Snow crash, Primer - By Neal Stephenson

Idoru - ??

Good Omens, Bad Omens - Neil Gaiman

I am legend - ??

Dark Tower Series - Stephen King

Anita Blake Chronicls - Laurel K Hamilton

Dreamcathcer - Stephen King (I got my wish on this one)

40k would be kinda kewl yes i play it :p

Night Fall City - Not out yet but will be soon in eletronic format :)

Chutney
03-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by LaBlade
I'd love to see the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant done, but I don't think we have the ability to describe the other world in a movie. I mean "sound's have colors, smells have pitch and timbre". Even ILM can't pull that off yet. :)

Enders Game would be neat, but you do have all the kiddie violence.

My pick would be "The Ninja", by Eric Lustbader.

Point of note ... Enders Game IS BEING MADE into a movie right now.

Read a little about it Here (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/)

NovaUSC
03-13-2003, 02:17 PM
A remake of Douglas Adams' Hitchikers Guide & Battletech

fgay trader
03-14-2003, 01:25 PM
"Memoirs of Ijon Tichy" by Stanislaw Lem would probably make a great series.

DancingHitler
07-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Update. Douglas Adams fans are now waiting for a remake of the movie or hoping that a directors cut will restore hours of filming.

DancingHitler
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Discworld. Sam Raimi could do it for TV. Bruce Campbell as Sam Vimes maybe or Captain Carrot or Rincewind. I think Bruce as Rincewind would be much funnier. They could also have him do the voice of Death.