PDA

View Full Version : Need Help plz Setting Up Internet

Orb
01-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Ok I followed this guide http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=273 Installed ALL the listed RPMS Installed a new workstation etc etc Booted Linux redhat 7.2 and everything works, I can startx and load into Gnome with root.

This is how I have my setup

CABLE MODEM
|
|
LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
|
|
HUB
|
|
Everquest Comp

Will this work ??? Cause I cant get the internet to work when Redhat boots in text mode it says

checking lo [OK]
checking Eth0 [FAILED]

I dont even have internet and I dont know how to configure it so I do and It will share the net with my Everquest comp may someone please help out a brotha???

peace,
OrB!

Yendor
01-10-2002, 03:05 PM
What network cards do you have installed in the linux machine?

In principle that setup should work. Unlike others I prefer to use a seperate standalone router/NAT firewall, but you can certainly use a linux machine with two NICs to achieve the same thing. Someone else will have to help with how to configure that, but your first trick is to get linux to deal with your network cards (and hence my first question).

Orb
01-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Well i have:

NETGEAR FA311
NETGEAR FA310TX

the reason why i have it setup like this:

CABLE MODEM
|
|
LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
|
|
HUB
|
|
Everquest Comp

is because I have other comps in the house thats connected to the hub to get internet so it would be:

CABLE MODEM
|
|
LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
|
|
HUB----Living room comp
\
|\___ Laptop
|
Everquest Comp my room

when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working..

Yendor
01-10-2002, 03:50 PM
"when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working.."

how are you checking that? just trying to get a clue to help figure out where to start.

(linksys 1-port cable/dsl router=$62... not having your home network go down when you fiddle with your linux machine=priceless). :D

Orb
01-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Well i have:

NETGEAR FA311
NETGEAR FA310TX

the reason why i have it setup like this:

CABLE MODEM
|
|
LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
|
|
HUB
|
|
Everquest Comp

is because I have other comps in the house thats connected to the hub to get internet so it would be:

CABLE MODEM
|
|
LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
|
|
HUB----Living room comp
\
|\___ Laptop
|
Everquest Comp my room

when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working..

Orb
01-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Ok well i was fucking around with the eth0 and eth1 and i dont know what the hell i did but my comp freeses
CHECKING lo [OK]
CHECKING Eth0

just freeses here it doesent say failed anymore totally just hangs.......

I am reinstalling linux 7.2 again BUT this time when I am setting up redhat at the eth0 and eth1 settup screen my friend somewhat helped me. This is what he told me to do for now since we dont know witch has direct connection to the net. ?

[ ] CONFIGURE USING DHCP not checked
[X] activate on boot yes

ip address 192 168 1 1
netmask 255 255 255 0
network 192 168 1 0 this was auto filled
broadcast 192 168 1 255 this was auto filled

hostname bleh
gateway 192 168 0 255 auto filled
primary DNS 192 168 1 1 sec DNS blank Tenary DNS blank

I did the same for eth1 except changed the ip to 192 168 2 2
I dont know witch card is the card that is connected to the net..... setting up now Installing all the rpms from the other guide... hope this works.. get back to you in hrm 10 min installing packages will have root/terminal up soon...

thanks
OrB!

Orb
01-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Sorry I doubble posted the post reply thing hangs when i hit "submit reply" weird...

Yendor
01-10-2002, 04:10 PM
I think I will have to defer to someone else on this as I haven't done this myself under linux. But I will put in my 2 cents because I can't help myself:

eth0 connected to cable/dsl modem:

will need to define an IP number your ISP gives you to this interface:
either use DHCP (usually a trick to get your ISP's
DHCP server to acknowledge the machine as one
it should deliver an ip too... either by MAC address or
hostname)

or a static IP number (whatever IP number you got
from your ISP, or last one you got via DHCP on another
machine when it was hooked up to your cable/dsl modem).

gateway/DNS/netmask/etc also need to be set to what your ISP provides. This is where DHCP is handy if you can set things up to get it to work. For me with comcast@home i just have to have my router's hostname be the hostname they assigned me on my network information sheet. Their DHCP verifies against hostname rather than MAC address, which is good for me.

-----------

eth1 you configure as 192.168.1.1, gateway the ip address of eth0

however from here you enter the realm of linux firewall/router stuff that I haven't done and someone else needs to jump in on how you configure it...

I think I would start with just one network card and try to get linux to come up and see the internet and get all it's network numbers sorted out. then add the second card.... not sure how that will work, but thats how I would start at the problem.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 04:13 PM
also when wiring eth0 to cable/dsl modem you need a crossover cable rather than a regular patch cable (unless modem has a crossover button, or seperate crossover port, in which case you can use that).

Orb
01-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Well we got the internet going now we set the nics to to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.2 and booted it changed one at a time to dhcp and we found out witch one was connected to the net. Eth1 is to the net and Eth0 is the nic that will be sharing the connection to my other comps, eth0 is 192.168.1.1 at the moment and I have net on my linux redhat 7.2 comp, using it now.

this is how its setup

CABLE MODEM
|
|
Linux Redhat 7.2 w/h 2 NIC's
|
|HUB
|
|
Everquest comp

Once I get both comps with internet I will read "how to" install the SEQ no sence go trough all the trouble of setting SEQ up and i cant even use my other comp.

can anyone help me as to how i set up my winxp comp with EQ and my Eth0 so it will share the connection ? Eth1 is my main connection

peace,
OrB

Yendor
01-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Well I will keep going on principle here, ignoring the issues of firewall/dhcp server configuration on linux:

eth1: configured via DHCP (should be assigned an ip number that is *not* 192.168.1.XXX)

eth0: configured as 192.168.1.1, with eth1's IP # assigned as it's gateway (how this is done automatically in case eth1's IP number changes I don't know).

each PC on your network is then assigned an IP # of 192.168.1.XXX (where XXX is unique per machine and greater than 1), and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. DNS servers should be set to whatever your ISP provides you.

Now you need to enable network address translation (NAT) so that your linux machine processes all packets coming from your home network to the internet to appear to be coming from the IP # given to your linux machine.

Check out http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/

The FAQ there may answer your questions if no one here can give you a short answer.

Hope I am helping somewhat ;)

Orb
01-10-2002, 05:37 PM
So what do I need to enable on my linux comp to let it share the connection? I dont quite understand I am totally new to linux ...

Ive got my winxp comp set to 192 168 1 2 / 255 255 255 0

still no go..

Yendor
01-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Best bet is to read the extensive FAQ in the link in my last post.

Second best bet is to buy a standalone router which does the same thing but is easier to set up (if technically less "powerful").

Third best bet is hope someone who has done this with linux answers this thread other than me.

Fourth best bet is to have me keep ramble on guessing and may take a really long time.

Step 1. Do you have internet connectivity through eth1 now? Can you access websites through netscape on your linux machine?

Step 2. Once you have step one working. Cut and paste the results of "/sbin/ifconfig eth0" and "/sbin/ifconfig eth1" so we can see how things are currently configured. (I suppose you may want to XXX out your IP number on eth 1 for privacy if it looks like a valid internet IP# [not 192.168.XXX.XXX, or 0.0.0.0], same for the gateway)

From there maybe I can guess what's next. But sooner or later i have to defer to the FAQ in that link as I haven't done NAT/IPmasq stuff with linux before.

Orb
01-10-2002, 05:49 PM
I can ping my Linux comp from my winxp comp and I can also ping my winxp come from my Linux comp but still no internet

I have eth0 set to 192 168 1 1 / 255 255 255 0
and my winxp comp set to 192 168 1 111 / 255 255 255 0

what am i missing ....

Orb
01-10-2002, 05:54 PM
um.. how do i copy the text from the terminal... (yes im a n00b) but I did manage to get up the ifconfig in /sbin/ifconfig eth1, tryed ctrl + C highlight right click, looked for a copy at the top cant find

Yendor
01-10-2002, 05:57 PM
But can your LINUX machine see the internet? That's the first step. I don't care about any other machine at the moment.

On your linux machine:
ping 64.37.156.16

(thats www.everquest.com if anyone cares, they don't seem to block ICMP packets).

If not then that is our first order of buisness.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 06:00 PM
For me I can copy and paste from my terminal by highlighting the text i want (the copy), then while it's highlight hit my middle mouse button (the paste). But it varies by application sometimes.

Orb
01-10-2002, 06:24 PM
oh there we go my middle button paste's so heres the info. and yes I am on my redhat 7.2 machine now posting on the board's this comp has internet!

[root@fubar sbin]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:880 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:36 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:119974 (117.1 Kb) TX bytes:3040 (2.9 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
inet addr:XX.XX.XX.XX Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:13242 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6691 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:5373341 (5.1 Mb) TX bytes:1036963 (1012.6 Kb)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0x5000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:234 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:234 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:18000 (17.5 Kb) TX bytes:18000 (17.5 Kb)

[root@fubar sbin]#

Yendor
01-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Great on the linux connectivity.

My bad tho, also need "/bin/netstat -r"

When you XXX out IP numbers just XXX out the first two
(XXX.XXX.16.34 or whatever).

But I think you are all set to read that FAQ, it should be able to tell you how to set up IP Masquarding. I guess I can trying reading it for you, but that may be.. ummm.. suboptimal.

But it sounds like you have everything you need to make it work.

Orb
01-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 40 0 0 eth0
XXX.XXX.XXX.0 * 255.255.252.0 U 40 0 0 eth1
127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 40 0 0 lo
default aXXXbXXXnXXXclient 0.0.0.0 UG 40 0 0 eth1
[root@fubar sbin]#

Yendor
01-10-2002, 07:17 PM
I may ten miles off base, but I saw this:

http://netfilter.samba.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO-4.html

Which translated to your configuration would look like (as root, and assuming I didn't get eth0 and eth1 backwards....):

modprobe iptable_nat
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -i eth0 -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Just an idea...

Yendor
01-10-2002, 07:25 PM
Also need to setup eth0's default gateway to be the IP address of eth1 unless that happens automatically somehow. not sure of the exact syntax of the commands to do that, so might need to find one of the handy dandy menu orient redhat system configuration utilties to set it.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 07:35 PM
I'm also completely ignoring security issues. Normally you setup packet filtering/firewall features into it as well but then you start getting a bit more complicated. Just don't want someone to jump all over me for not pointing that out. Again I'd just use a $60-$100 box from BestBuy, unless you are really into the linux thing, and not have to worry about the whole thing :).

Well that may be it from me tonight. Going to be working on some other things for a while. Those two websites should contain everything you need to know, its just a little compicated.

Orb
01-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Yendor

modprobe iptable_nat
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -i eth0 -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Just an idea...

lol you lost me here.. what do i do with that line of code?

I am installing SEQ now so far so good, compiling at the moment.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 07:44 PM
enter each line as a command (you will need to be root)

Yendor
01-10-2002, 07:56 PM
another source of info: http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/

Again if you are not interested in reading all about iptables, firewalls, packet filtering, NATs, etc, etc then you probably should not use linux to do this as you may just be opening yourself up to network security troubles as your linux machine is exposed for the world to beat on unless you take measures to limit it's exposure. Just my opinion.

End of thread for me, tonight anyway.

lostpacket
01-10-2002, 09:42 PM
I'm running RH 7.2 also, but with DSL (dynamic IP) and took it to someone's house who uses cable, and it worked perfectly fine:

Setup:
DSL modem (or cable)
|
hub
|------|------|-----|
Linux WinXP Win98 Laptop

Linux setup:
eth0 (hooked to DSL or cable thru hub):
Do not activate on boot
Use dhcp for IP
All other info leave blank (Gateway, Subnet, DNS, etc)

eth1 (hooked to hub):
Activate at boot
Assign IP of 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: leave blank (took me an hour to figure out why I couldn't route, when
this auto filled in and I missed it)

Firewall settings:
Click [New]
Set [Src IP] to 192.168.1.0/24, leave all other info alone (default settings are what you want).
Click [Input & Masquerade]
Then activate that puppy.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Cool! That's all done from the main install screen when it asks about firewall configuration? I thought they just let you configure port filters there, didn't notice the other options I guess. Hope that helps Orb (makes him have to start over though).

Wonder if RH has a nice tool for setting that up after the installation phase.

Learn something new every day.

Orb
01-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Ok so my comps are as followed

CABLE
|
|
HUB
|
|
|Linux|Winxp|

Is eth1 on this config Another Comp like winxp/98 etc? or from the linux comp?!?!?

Linux setup:
Do not activate on boot
Use dhcp for IP

eth1 (hooked to hub):
Activate at boot
Assign IP of 192.168.1.1

as for the firewall setting part

Firewall settings:
Click [New]
Set [Src IP] to 192.168.1.0/24, leave all other info alone (default settings are what you want).

where do i activate this if I didnt turn it on installing redhat or can i turn it on when in gnome

Orb
01-10-2002, 10:24 PM
ahhh nice just woke up went to sleep waiting for the files to compile. I followed tgf's Thread on hot to install the SEQ and its simple by far hands down! Still wondering how I setup the firewall thing

Firewall settings:
Click [New]

so i can get this started!

Orb
01-10-2002, 10:55 PM
ok I am reinstalling 7.2 .... cant find that firewall config anywhere but by setting up tgf's "How to" was great and I got showeq to work. The only thing i kind of did not understand was

eth1 (hooked to hub):
Activate at boot
Assign IP of 192.168.1.1

im not sure if this is the linux comp or from the winxp/98/ comp since it says eth1..... or is this the second nic from the linux comp? or does the linux comp only need 1 nic?

oh well going to format anyways be back in a bit.

and Thanks Yendor for all the help today Ive posted on hackersquest but they arnt much help.

out
OrB

Yendor
01-10-2002, 11:11 PM
Found a script for redhat that might help anyone else trying to do this at

https://www.redhat.com/support/resources/tips/firewall/firewallss.txt

You have to change a few lines to match your interface ports and network numbers.... you still have to know a little bit about what you are doing though.

=============

Orb for your setup swap eth0 and eth1 in lostpacket's description. (or swap your network cables). Yes you still need two NICs in the linux machine.

(when finding instructions on how to do this eth0 is usally assumed to be the interface connected to the broadband modem, so it might be nice to set yours up to match that so things don't get confused. Just switch which cables you plug into which card).

Why do I get the feeling I am always just making things more confused....

Orb
01-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Firewall settings:
Click [New]

im in the install screen Now and I am under Firewall configuration there is HIGH MEDIUM and NO FIREWALL I dont see where to click [new] set blah etc..

Yendor
01-10-2002, 11:34 PM
grrrr.... maybe there is a firewall administration tool in redhat, and that is what lostpacket was using... guess we have to wait and see what he says.

Orb
01-10-2002, 11:42 PM
Yea I think I would have to reinstall anyways when I first installed redhat I turned the option for the firewall Off....

I just reinstalled redhat and installed all the RPMs and Turned Firewall on Medium I coudent see anything to do this part.

Firewall settings:
Click [New]

But I did configure eth0 and eth1 to:

Linux setup:
Do not activate on boot
Use dhcp for IP

eth1 (hooked to hub):
Activate at boot
Assign IP of 192.168.1.1

and how do I connect this up?????

CABLE
|
HUB?
|
Linuxcomp with 2 nics?--|--Winxp--|

Yendor
01-10-2002, 11:42 PM
look for and install these RPMs (should come with RH 7.2 on disc 1):

lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm
gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm

They install user friendly firewall configuration programs (lokkit and gnome-lokkit respectively). I suspect this is what lostpacket was using. I don't have them installed on my machine, but it seems a good idea to try.

They use ipchains rather than the newer iptables for setting up the firewall and NAT services. But that probably doesn't need to concern you.

It's amazing what web search engines can do if you manage to hit the right key words. :)

Now I hope THIS helps.

Yendor
01-10-2002, 11:46 PM
Your original wiring was fine. Your linux machine saw the internet on one card fine, and pinged your windows machine fine on the other card. So your wiring was peachy.

Orb
01-10-2002, 11:47 PM
So you said I still need the 2 nic's in my linux machine do both of them go to the hub??/

CABLE
|
|
HUB----Winxp
| |
| |
| |
Linux

Orb
01-10-2002, 11:57 PM
I can only find lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm on disk 1 but how do i install this Rpm?

Yendor
01-11-2002, 12:14 AM
Cable---->eth0
(needs crossover cable, or use of crossover switch or port on cable modem, you had this wired correctly when your linux machine could work on the internet a while ago)

Hub------>eth1
|||
|||
other computers

(you had this working a while ago when your linux machine could ping your windows machine). My mind is a little mushy now and can't think whether you need a crossover cable (or switch, or crossover port on hub) on the eth1->hub connection. But you had this working, so however it was wired then.

-----------

install rpm with (as root):

rpm -ivh lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm

Keep looking for the gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm, that will be the graphical user interface version, though you the regular lokkit is probably easy to use too. Do a "ls *lokkit*" maybe the name is a little different. Also check CD 2, but I think its on the first.
(I don't have a working CD 1 at the moment so I can't look).

lostpacket
01-11-2002, 12:14 AM
gack! I'm sorry. I thought you already had everything installed.

Just select Medium Firewall when at that step and then after installation of RH, go to System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there.

Yendor
01-11-2002, 12:17 AM
It also may already be installed now that you installed with firewall support. In which case "What lostpacket said." :)

Orb
01-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Ok I found both

lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm
gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm

Installed the gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm First and Tryed the Lokkit second and it says it was already installed so.. I guess there in.

I still dont see this

System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there

I do See Programs>>System>>Lokkit

do I use this ?

OK Also I am going to set it up the same way I had it before with Eth1 MAIN Commection and Eth0 192 168 1 1 I will connect it Like this and Use the Lokkit thing.... Hope this works

CABLE in to linux comp
|
LINUX COMP 2 NICS out to hub
|
HUB
|
Everquest comp to hub

Yendor
01-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Sounds right.

Good luck.

Going to bed now. :)

Orb
01-11-2002, 01:23 AM
lostpacket: I still cant find that " System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there" :(

I think I need this to setup the Masquering the only thing I have is Programs>>System>>Lokkit

am I missing the rpm package for Firewall Settings ??? I installed it with Medium security.

fryfrog
01-11-2002, 03:55 AM
look, i hate to be a bitch orb... but setting up your showeq box as your internet router does not look like something you should be doing. it is pretty hard to do, and extremely hard to explain over the internet.

go buy yourself a hardware firewall/nat router for ~$100 and just use that instead OR goto freesco.com and get a floppy based linux distro that is MADE to do this and is VERY easy to configure.

in short, you need to do a few more things.

you need to "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" to enable ip/nat forwarding.

then, you need to set the default gw of your windows machine to the ip of the internal network on the linux box.

you also have to setup some iptables rules that allow you to masq traffic from the inside to the outside. i don't know these rules, and they are pretty annoying to setup for a linux newb.

i would REALLY look into freesco.com if you need something cheap, or getting a hardware nat/router if you have a few bucks.

Orb
01-11-2002, 05:53 AM
you lost me there.. guess this isnt going to work out.. oh well.

trassdon
01-11-2002, 08:29 AM
This is the way I have my roadrunner cable configured for my machines.

I have a 3com 24port hub which the cable modem plugs into. 1 nic in both machines, one WinXP, one Debian. Called my cable provider and asked for a second ip addy. Now both machines pull ip's with dhcp. Shouldn't be to much configuration on the linux side of it other than telling it where to find eth0.

Yendor
01-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Orb, I said it sounded right. Programs->system->lokkit.... anywhere you find anything that looks like lokkit is probably worth trying.

Mr Guy
01-11-2002, 11:03 AM
But I can't help myself. Was this anyone else's first though when you read:"Need Help plz Setting Up Internet": "Well, for starters you are going to need ALOT of cable, and many many servers...."

RavenCT
01-11-2002, 11:28 AM
But it should have been! He he he, thanks for the chuckle!

Caz
01-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Anyone had this issue?

Everything is working: Web, FTP, Telnet, other on-line games from both client and linux box, except when I try to log-in to EQ. It hangs on "establishing connection with login server". From the looks of it, and after reading over this thread, it seems that I have everything set correctly.

One thing that is a little strange is that whenever I reboot my linux box, I have to re-initialize my firewall settings (I do this within webmin using ipchains firewalling) in order to do any sort of network activity outside of the firewall.

The wierd thing is, it hits the patch server just fine, but won't hit the login server. Any help you guys can give, I would be most appreciative of!

Thanks!

Yendor
01-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Is there a log associated with the firewall software. Perhaps it is blocking some traffic that it shouldn't be. Just a wild guess.