PDA

View Full Version : noob network problem?!?

AlphaBeta
01-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Ok im a total linuix noob but after a few re-installs of redhat 7.2 and a few hours of pulling mu hair out I got showeq to compile and run. However I get noting on the GIU and in the terminal window I get ever now and then a bad packet crc or some such message but no maps or anything in the GUI.

I am able to ping the windows box from the linux box and I am starting showeq with no switches.

My network setup is follows: Cable modem to Cable router/switch (Hands out DHCP NAT'ed to a 10.0.0.X network. Off the router/switch hangs the windows and linux.

Just for my 2 cents programers write good code but don't write ver good doc's LOL... :p

Any help would be great...

Thanks in advance..

Mr Guy
01-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Alright it sounds to me like you don't have a prayer of this working the way it's written.

It sounds like your set up is:

Modem
||
SWITCH ==Linux 1 NIC (IP 192.*)
||
EQ (Win) 1 NIC (68.* or something along those lines)

In which case, the packets should never get seen by the Linux box, since the Switch will route them directly from Modem to EQ.

I'm not sure with one nic you can even set up NAT forwarding. The most desired way to rearrange is to buy a $10 NIC and pop it in your Linux box and change the config to:

Modem
||Nic 1
Linux
||Nic 2
SWITCH
||
EQ

And set up NAT and IPtables on the linux box.

AlphaBeta
01-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Well the setup is this:

Cable modem
||
Router/switch=lunix box
||
Windows 98 running EQ

The router is a linksys and is handing out DHCP to both box's with a NAT of 10.0.0.x

Should work no? If not if I put a hub in the mix from the router would that work? IN other words:

Cable modem
||
Router/switch
||
Hub=Linux
||
Windows 98

I really would like to avoid getting a second nic card if I could.

Yendor
01-11-2002, 11:20 AM
I may be wrong Mr Guy, but he says he is going from modem to a router/switch which should be fine if he doesn't use the switch part of the router.

Modem
|
Router/Switch
|
|
True Hub
| |
| |
| ------ Windows
Linux

You can't use multiple ports off the router because they are switched so that packets destined to one machine are not seen by the other.

The router is providing NAT/DHCP services I assume. This is similar to my setup (well add in a wireless access point, and that 10M Phonenet stuff, and a bridge and another hub... then it's just like that :rolleyes: ).

EDIT: When you get a hub make sure it's a true hub (best bet would be one that only does 10M or only does 100M connections) a lot of new hubs are actually switches no matter what they say. I use a 4 year old netgear model as the new linksys one i bought turned out to be a switch. Anyone have recommendation for currently sold hubs that work?

AlphaBeta
01-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Yendor
You can't use multiple ports off the router because they are switched so that packets destined to one machine are not seen by the other.

The router is providing NAT/DHCP services I assume. This is similar to my setup (well add in a wireless access point, and that 10M Phonenet stuff, and a bridge and another hub... then it's just like that :rolleyes: ).

EDIT: When you get a hub make sure it's a true hub (best bet would be one that only does 10M or only does 100M connections) a lot of new hubs are actually switches no matter what they say. I use a 4 year old netgear model as the new linksys one i bought turned out to be a switch. Anyone have recommendation for currently sold hubs that work?

Yep then thats the problem then. I have a extra hub handy ill just place it after the router and see if that fix's the problem.