PDA

View Full Version : realistic size of filters.conf

RavenCT
01-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Is there a "realistic" size for the filters file that you should work to stay under? I pasted together several different files last night and found that when you zone, SEQ would hang for quite a while processing the new information, then hang every once and a while in the zone as well... And I tried it with a version from just before the new year and the latest CVS pull... same thing either way...

I don't remember exactly how big my filters.conf file was, but it was around 79k when I was done.

Oh, and I'm running SEQ on RH 7.1 on a PII 400 w/128MB RAM, so I don't think it really was a machine issue...

Clear out the filters.conf file and it worked fine...

Ratt
01-15-2002, 09:40 AM
It all depends on your CPU, really... SEQ will iterate over the spawn list each time it updates. This a lot of iterations per second. The larger your file, the more it tries to match against each and every spawn in the zone. The number of comparisons it has to do increases geometrically with each filter entry you add.

In theory, we could have a better way of spawn matching, but no one has sat down to do it.

Legacy code at it's finest! :)

Mr Guy
01-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Obviously you've never worked for the government...

fryfrog
01-15-2002, 03:51 PM
why not use the specific map spawn files? i think it was of the format filter_mapname.conf? anyway, it could be spiffy.

Ratt
01-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Fryfrog is right ... I meant to mention that, but totally spaced it between hitting reply and hitting submit :)

Zone specific filter file is what you want... and what we should really be moving to anyway.

RavenCT
01-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Doh! I'll have to give that a look then! Cool... I was hoping there was a way around bogging down my machine with a huge file...

Mr Guy
01-16-2002, 01:02 PM
When you do get them divided up, alot of people would love it if you'd tar them and post the tar somewhere.

guice
01-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr Guy
When you do get them divided up, alot of people would love it if you'd tar them and post the tar somewhere.

uh huh.....

RavenCT
01-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by fryfrog
why not use the specific map spawn files? i think it was of the format filter_mapname.conf? anyway, it could be spiffy.

Is this the proper way to break the zone filters down? I know I know... RTFM... I've been looking at all the docs and I don't know if I missed it somewhere....

Anyone?

fryfrog
01-16-2002, 09:38 PM
i grep'd my CHANGES file and found "filters_<mapname>.conf" as the answer. the caps/uncaps is gonna be what will get ya. maybe mapfiend can start storing mapfile.conf 's as well.

BlueAdept
01-17-2002, 08:32 AM
Wow...I didnt know that you could have separate zone filters...that is nice. I guess I should have RTFM.

Im lucky that I already have most of my filters.conf broken down by zone. I just now have to chop it out of the filters.conf and put it in zone specific format.

You can get a copy of mine (only has upto Velious spawns though) at http://www.crosswinds.net/~libeqa

After I get it all broken up by zone (and verify that it is working properly) Ill put them up on that page (might be a couple days).

SeqTester
01-17-2002, 10:20 AM
is anyone else not able to get to BlueAdept's site?

Mr Guy
01-17-2002, 11:00 AM
I only get
<html><head></head><body></body></html>

guice
01-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Nothing shows up for me either...

SeqTester
01-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Good it's not just me :D Hey BLueAdept , can you post it in a message here?

Thanks
ST

BlueAdept
01-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Hmmm...dont know why your not getting anything.

I have tested the site with Netscape and Internet Explorer from 2 different locations.

Ill see if I can attach it to this message.

BlueAdept
01-17-2002, 04:46 PM
I got most of them split up I dont know if they work yet (Still at work).

It is too big to post here unfortunately. (about 108k zipped). After I test them, Ill see what I can do about putting them up somewhere.

fryfrog
01-17-2002, 07:52 PM
i have an odinseye script on my web server, i'd be happy to let you toss up a copy of your filters when you are ready. i can even modify a php script i have that would let you upload it automagically. if interested, send me a pm (i wouldn't want people uploading crap to my site). otherwise, i definatly look forward to using your filters file :)

neonghost
01-19-2002, 05:27 PM
I've been able to get to his site and get the file, but it's been hit and miss, and never with linux (konqueror). Got the files with my win box and copied them from there.

BlueAdept
01-19-2002, 10:03 PM
I broke up that entire file into zone specific files. Unfortunately I cant seem to get it to work. Might be an RTFM error or an ID10T error. :)

Example filters_NorthKarana.conf for North Karana. Unfortunately I dont show any alerts when in that zone. (I will attach it to this message).

Do I have to change the line in the showeq.conf that specifies the filter file? (SpawnFilterFile /usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf) I totally removed the filters.conf and left only the zone specific ones. Was that wrong?

Has anyone gotten it to work with the zone specific filters?

lnx-noob
01-20-2002, 01:20 AM
if u rename it to filters_northkarana.conf it should work.
all my zone filters files are with small caps zone names.

BlueAdept
01-20-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info. Ill try it out tonight.

It said map name so I just did it exactly as what the corresponding .map name was.

nino2469
01-20-2002, 03:42 PM
if I make individual filters.conf files for each zone do I need to delete the original filters.conf and leave only the ones for each zone?

BlueAdept
01-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Renaming all the files to lower case did the trick. The alerts now work.

Have 2 zones that Im not sure of what the map name would be. Icewell Keep (I put it as filters_icewellkeep.conf) and Howling Stones (put as filters_howlingstones.conf). Was too lazy to look to see what the map name would be.

Anyway, Im going on vacation starting on Tuesday. Ill be back in like a week. After that, Ill see about putting them up somewhere.

If you download my filters and know of rare spawns that are not on it, Please post them (along with what zone) and Ill update it.

fryfrog
01-22-2002, 01:59 AM
this is exactly what i'm looking for :)
as soon as you are back, and have posted all your zone specific filters file i will be very happy :)

nino2469
01-22-2002, 02:10 PM
can anyone tell me if I need to delete the filters.conf file and only use the zone specific ones?

Prime_Evil
01-22-2002, 02:50 PM
My Filters File is very large, and broken down by zone by
Hunt,locate,danger etc.etc .
WOuld be really easy for me to break mine into individule files and tar it up

is the format

filters_Chardok.conf

SeqTester
01-22-2002, 02:52 PM
No CAPS at least thats what I read, I never got mine working. Not from lack of Skill, jsu tlack of time and not really needed.

BlueAdept
01-22-2002, 09:34 PM
I dumped the zone specific filters on my web site at http://www.crosswinds.net/~libeqa

Its the best I can do for now until I get back.

Enjoy and tell me if there are ones Im missing.

fryfrog
01-22-2002, 11:51 PM
dear god, thank you so much. :)

RavenCT
01-23-2002, 07:55 AM
All I have to say is Holy Crap! Nice job BlueAdept!

SeqTester
01-23-2002, 07:56 AM
/bow BlueAdept

Nice job!!
And your site works for me now, did you change somehting? or was it my DNS?

BlueAdept
01-23-2002, 08:32 AM
Crosswinds is/was going through some server upgrades. They now have their web based email working. I dont know if they are done or not. You might still have some problems with it.

Anyway, my flight leaves in a couple hours. See you all in about a week.

SeqTester
01-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks agian and have a nice trip, I hope it is somewhere warm and a vacation.

LordCrush
01-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Thank You for the nice files - happy holliday - have a good flight.

- Lord Crush

Azerael
01-23-2002, 01:59 PM
Just a quick comment though, was running through them, the dragon necropolis specific ones are actually populated with western wastes mobs.

Its an awesome starting point for me, though, Blue Adept, I truly appreciate your effort!

Ataal
01-28-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm getting a time out error on crosswinds for that specific site, the main page still pops up though.

BlueAdept
01-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Im back in town.

Crosswinds is screwed up again. It is really choking on netscape. They say they fixed it but didnt.

From Crosswinds:
"Netscape users got caught in an anti-BOT script that prevented them from seeing the site. As soon as this situation was brought to my attention, the offending script and situation was found and corrected. My thanks to those that provided the detailed info to track this down quickly."

Well guess what...they didnt fix it. It is still screwed up.

If you use IE it will work. I hope the hell they fix it soon...IE SUCKS.

If you find any spawns that should be in the filters but isnt or if you find ones that are in the wrong place or just plain wrong, email me at [email protected]

I am looking for a better place to mirror my site. I should have some place later today.

BlueAdept
01-29-2002, 07:28 PM
Got the mirror site up. Im not sure Im happy with it. There are no popups or ads, but the address is a little hard to remember.

http://www27.brinkster.com/blueadept/

Yes you need the 27 in the address. It wont work without it.

Enjoy.

Ataal
02-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Ok, I must be doing something wrong or I'm not reading it right, here's what it says when I zone into Great Divide, I have the filter in the directoy it says it's looking at, but it says it there is no zone specific file and loads the default:

Loading, Please Wait... (Zone: 'greatdivide')
Zone: ChangeCode: Server, Zone:greatdivide
Zone: Zoning, Please Wait... (Zone: 'greatdivide')
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_greatdivide.conf'.Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
Loaded map: '/usr/local/share/showeq/Greatdivide.map'
Building new pcap filter: EQ Client 192.168.1.2, Zone Server port 4394
Clearing Cache: Count: 0
Reseting sequence cache
Zone: EntryCode: Client
Zone: EntryCode: Client
EQPacket::dispatchZoneData():CharProfileCode:Not Decoded
Zone: EntryCode: Server, Zone: greatdivide
Zone: Zoning, Please Wait... (Zone: 'greatdivide')
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_greatdivide.conf'.Loading default '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters.conf'.
Loaded map: '/usr/local/share/showeq/Greatdivide.map'

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cryonic
02-23-2002, 08:55 PM
No Zone Specific filter file '/usr/local/share/showeq/filters_greatdivide.conf'.Loading default

Unix is CASE SENSITIVE. Filters_Greatdivide.conf is not the same as filters_greatdivide.conf. Check Spelling AND CASE.

Ataal
02-27-2002, 10:58 AM
I got the filter from blueadept's link, and I've checked, neither are upper case in either instance. Only the .map has an uppercase letter in it and that's working fine.

anon2
02-27-2002, 12:20 PM
And your .conf file is in
/usr/local/share/showeq/
?

Ataal
02-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Yes, that is where all the zone specific files are located....

KSti
03-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Hrmmm, you seem to have left the [hunt] information in all the zone config files. Funny to watch lvl 26-29 burynai be highlighted as I dash through fm on a lvl 60 =P

Still works, of course. Thanks for the awesome work.

BlueAdept
03-04-2002, 08:46 AM
The default mobs will be removed probably by Tuesday night.