PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ + Ethernalquest?

Zeppo
01-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Anyone know of a way to have ShowEQ work while using the Ethernalquest emulator?
I am thinking that it should be possible to run the server part on one PC, and log into it from another pc, while having ShowEQ on a third machine using the usual ShowEQ network setup.
Not able to go home and test this now, just wondering if anyone has done this, or if it is even possible.
Thanks,

lostpacket
01-15-2002, 02:06 PM
I have tried it, with no success. I'm sure it can be done. If I have time this weekend, I'll look deeper into it and find the optimal setup and post (in other words, I'll mess with it and kick it until I give up or it works).

casey
01-15-2002, 03:07 PM
if Ethernalquest still works like it used to, then showeq will not work out of the box. Ethernlquest (the old release) modified the EQ exe to NOP out all the decryption routine, so that the emulated server could send plaintext packets to the client. This would confuse the hell out of showeq, since its expecting encrypted data and acts accordingly.

If they've added the ability for the server to encrypt its data before it sends it, to truly emulate the server, then showeq *should* work.

Zeppo
01-15-2002, 06:37 PM
Sounds logical, casey.

I wouldn't use this, but if you need SEQ without decryption, would what this guy posted work?
http://www.ethernalquest.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=63
It's a thread on the emulator board of a guy that made a script to install SEQ.
Says something about not having decryption.
Maybe I am way off on this, though.
Probably talking about not having libEQ.a or something.
Dunno. Haven't checked it out.

casey
01-15-2002, 07:16 PM
that script in that post is someone taking a howto guide one step further and automating it all. As said in that thread, libEQ is not downloaded and showeq is built without decryption, which he says is to not make it too easy for anyone to use his script and be happy.

building showeq with decryption disabled is the GPS mode with everything wandering around as unknowns.

Mr Guy
01-16-2002, 08:42 AM
So the high-level steps would be:

1) Hard coding FoundKey = true

2) Ignoring calls to libEq

3) Copying packet info directly.

Sounds simple enough. Even looking through decode.cpp I'm pretty sure I could do it, except I don't use the emulator. Something about cheating while I cheat seems like bad juju to me.