PDA

View Full Version : First time user, got a question

Rashenal
04-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok, I just started using this today to see how it worked. I have the server portion running on my EQ PC, and the IP address is an external IP. It's not the normal 192.168.x.x, but more like 65.x.x.x.

Do I need to have a 192.168.x.x address in order for this to work, or could I possibly just not have the right port? It shows me as connected, but isn't showing me the information in the zone. I did a /who and there are a few folks in the zone, but it's not showing up on my ShowEQ client box. Any suggestions?

datadog
04-16-2003, 06:38 PM
1. Can you ping the server IP from the client ?
2. Is there a Firewall/NAT/Packet filter of any kind between the 2 ?

If there is a firewall you may have to put in a rule allowing the connection.

When you connect (press 'GO' on the client) you should see a 'New connection from' message in the dos window on the server. If you are not seeing that then no connection is being made.

You can use the 'netstat -an' from a command line to check for connections if you are not sure. On server machine you should see a listener on the default port. Make sure the client is config'd to connect to that port on the options menu.

Good luck.

EDIT: Typos

Rashenal
04-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Ok. Here's what's happening now. If I do a netstat -an, it shows the port as 139. When I click on the Go button, it doesn't give me an error message. Yet, on the server end, it still shows as "Waiting for new connection". Obviously, the netstat showed a lot of Listening ports, but the only one that showed the IP address that is on that machine, it shows the port as 139. Any ideas from this one?

cavemanbob
04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Just use the IP of the machine the server is running on. IT's unimportant if it's in the format 192.168.*.* that's just what I use. As long as the data can make it between the 2 it should work.

Rashenal
04-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Ok...I finally figured it out & got the connection working fine. The problem I have now is whenever I zone, I get the "file /maps/*" not found. What is causing this & what could be done to fix?

Rashenal
04-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Ok, scratch that last one, I figured it out too hehe. Last question...for now at least. In the alerts portion, when I add an alert, do I type the MOB's name as "mobname" or "a_mobname_01"?

cavemanbob
04-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Either, it'll try to match any substring you specify in the mob names.

Rashenal
04-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Thank you for all of your help guys.