PDA

View Full Version : Patch resubmitted for Invis Man Color Changes

IgorVT
12-19-2001, 10:04 AM
Duh, stupid me typed out a nice description for the patch I was going to upload and then selected the file and didn't click on the damn button to tell it to upload the patch /bonk.

Anyway, thanks to Ratt for pointing out the missing file and since I was out of town I didn't get to upload it till today.

This patch is based off the 12/13/01 version of SEQ from the CVS.

Enjoy

RavenCT
12-19-2001, 11:34 AM
I've noticed those "Invisible Man" dots around... what are they anyway?

IgorVT
12-19-2001, 11:47 AM
The "Invisible Men" are placeholders or spawns that are invisible to the client. These spawns represent all sorts of things but the major items include: the messages that pop up in the chat box when you walk through a zone, traps that spawn mobs and all those sound effects you hear in a zone. Its actually a much easier way for them to code these types of things in to the game then to rewrite the engine. Since the clients need to know about this information (especially the traps) then SEQ picks it up and displays it with the information given from the server. Since they are just dummy spawns, they show up with weird names and odd levels.

Recently with all the new sound effects and messages, they started naming the invis guys with names and gave them levels so it was hard to pick them out from normal spawns since SEQ handels all the spawns the same. I just modified it slightly so that it gives them different colors.

I hope that helps :)

RavenCT
12-19-2001, 01:42 PM
I never would have thought of that. That is an interesting way for them to deal with in on the client side, at the very least it means that they wouldn't have to code it into the map on the client end... If that was the case, when someone decoded the client side files they would find the points.

Thanks for the info!