PDA

View Full Version : Small problem, would love some help.

yooish
04-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Hello,

I am running two machines, both win2k SP3 and Version 1.1 .Net.

I start the server on my EQ box, then start EQ. I wait until my toon is completely in the game, then I run the Client. Alas I only a blank screen.

My server does say new connection from IP 192.168.1.101 and that is all.

I tried running the server like this myseqseverc 1000 4734 1, but I still only get the following, this is what I always get.

Running at 250ms updates
Waiting for new connection...
New connection from: 192.168.1.101

I have tried running the two boxes through my router witch is a switch and through my old hub that worked for SEQ in the old days, it is a SynOptics model 800 (don’t laugh I know its old ;P)

I am sure I am missing something elementary here, but I just can not for the life of me figure it out.

Both machines can ping each other and share files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

---Edit---

I am running the Test version that is up in the news section.

My toon is logging into the nexus, not a LOY zone.

---End Edit---

Yooish

MrDoh
04-17-2003, 10:07 PM
That's a good one... hehe

I can't say I recall seeing very many problems of this sort. I do not know for sure if this code is still included in the current test build, but in the past, others have tried to telnet to their server machine on port 5558 to see if anything is displayed. (The server must say waiting for connection when start telnet from my understanding.)

Also, if it were happening to me, I'd go to another zone and try it. The nexus is always so wierd with so many people and so much traffic and cpu strain on the server side. At least that might help narrow the problem area.

Also, what's the speed of both processors?

Mr. Doh

yooish
04-17-2003, 10:25 PM
I tried logging in a toon into Katta, and I still have the same issue.

My EQ box is a Pent 4 2.4ghz with 1gb of ram and the client is a 1.4ghz athon with 1 gb of ram.

This interesting thing is that I can NOT telnet to my server machine via port 5558, I have no firewall that I am aware of.

Could someone give me an insight on how to curve this telnet issue, mayhap it is the problem.

Yooish

yooish
04-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Okay I loaded up Telent sever admin and set the port to 4734 and I was able to Telnet to the EQ (sever) machine just fine. Running both through the switch and through the Hub.

What o What could it be that I am missing?

Yooish

1q2w3e
04-18-2003, 09:13 AM
are you hitting the "GO" button at the bottom of the client screen?

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 12:10 PM
hehehe...

I was gonna ask this too, but if yooish is seeing the "new connection from..." appear on the server screen, then the connection must have been initiated by pressing the "go" button.

yooish,
I don't yet have any more ideas, but I am still thinking about this. I have a win2k box here and I'm gonna do some tests... but I'm pretty sure we have a lot of others using win2k and not having these problems...

Do you get the spawn list? I know that you don't get the map... Where are your maps stored at? I have read of directory structure problems before. Your path should look something like this: C:\myseq\maps\*.map
The actuall client should go into the myseq directory, and the maps should go into the maps directory.
Try manually loading a map and pressing go then...

Does the interface acually freeze where you have to end task it, or can you still use the menus, and exit normally, etc?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure more will come to me.

Mr. Doh

yooish
04-18-2003, 02:51 PM
I have been pushing the GO button. :D

The client machine does not lock up in anyway, I can function as normal before and after the starting of the client. Server as well does not lock up.

For Kicks I dropped down to Server version 1.4 and Client Version 1.7b and it worked flawlessly. But being a stubborn Irishman I removed that and I am still tring to figure out what is the problem with the beta version.

Anyhow I am kind of out of ideas at this point as well, other then maybe it could be a Prepatch update for Win2k. I do have them installed on both machines.

I will spend more time on it tonight.

Mr.Doh Thanks a bunch for you effort.

---Edit---

I also recompiled the source on each of the machines, Still have the same problems

---End Edit---

Yooish

MrDoh
04-18-2003, 02:56 PM
Try the newest test version when it come out and see if that helps any. I am waiting to do the same :)

You are very welcome!

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Try the newest one that's up now, it will hopefully work better.
Links are in the New section.

yooish
04-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Newest test works like a charm CMB.

Thanks alot for your work there lad.

Yooish

SimpleMynd
04-22-2003, 09:06 AM
My setup is about as close to Yooish's as it gets (same software levels and almost the same processors/ram) with about the same issue. When I click "GO" I get a "Can't find map" (or something close to that. I'm at work now so don't remember exactly.) error box. No spawn list, no map. I can manually load a map but that's about it. It's not a "locking up" issue. Seems to connect to the server fine.

I started testing in a LoY zone and even tried an old world zone with the same results. The last time I saw everything work perfectly was CMB's first version ever of it. I haven't played much with it until I saw the LoY support was in today! I was soooo bummed when it didn't fire right up. :(

Any ideas?

(Even if I never get it working, I just wanted to say GREAT JOB CMB! Definately a SHANAZZY tool!)

SimpleMynd

lane
04-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Do you have a maps directory in the client directory and are all the maps in it?

The Maps directory must be below the client to find it.

-Lane

SimpleMynd
04-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Yup. Typical c:\myseq\maps structure with maps in the maps folder and the exe in the myseq folder.

-SimpleMynd

edit: I even pulled all the new maps from the zip file this morning as well as grabbed the new LoY maps from another thread a few days ago.

showeqgratefull
04-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Ok, looking atthe first post, i see the following
myseqseverc 1000 4734 1

i gather that the 4734 is the port number to listen on, what does
the 1000 and 1 still stand for...

if i do not use any of these parameters, will it still run on the
default port?

Thanks

-M

lane
04-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Showeqgratefull, don't change anything unless you need to, and you probably don't need to worry about that stuff. Just run the app, and change the IP Address of the server in the Options window of the client. Everything should be fine using the defaults.

If not, then right back with problems.

-Lane

cavemanbob
04-22-2003, 11:49 AM
showeqgratefull: The command line parameters for the server have changed, I should have been more clear about that somewhere. The new server command line is as follows: myseqserverc <port> The delay is specified in the client now, but yes if you use a blank command line it will use the default port.

SimpleMynd: What zone name did it say in the error dialog?

SimpleMynd
04-22-2003, 01:27 PM
It didn't populate with a name, which is the usual error I saw when I'd try to load up with the older versions and before I pulled the new LoY maps in the .map fomat.

Tried in Stoneburnt, Torgiran Mine and every zone in between all had the same result. Just a red dot and a black background.

Just trying to brainstorm here at work... the "MAPS" subfolder isn't case sensative is it? I just happen to recall that mine is in all caps.

I probably won't be home to post the exact text of the error message until tomorrow morning (EST).

-SimpleMynd

SimpleMynd
04-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Just as a follow up I finally had a chance to try 1.8a and 1.10 and everything works flawlessly. Must have been user error on my part somehow.

Kudos on all the hard work CMB! Thanks again!

-SimpleMynd