PDA

View Full Version : Please need some help again:D

Kaoz
01-16-2002, 08:41 AM
K this is my problem this time..I decided to upgrade from RH7.1 to 7.2.. Ive burned my ISO's and i start the install program..I choose Custom Setup..What should i choose in the next menu?I can choose these!:

*Have the installer automatically partition for you

*Manually partiotion with Disk druid

*Manually partiotion with fdisk[experts only]

Ive tried choosing Upgrade Existing System but the computer hangs when i do that..

Im really the ultimate linux noob...Sorry for my bad english:P

would be cool if i could get some helP:D :o

Mr Guy
01-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Man you had to ask days after slashdot has a good article on partitioning.

Well I can't find it for the life of me, so I'm going to try to give you the <a href=http://www.linuxnewbie.org/>NHF</a> version.

Most of the time if you aren't going to use the machine for much more than a glorified packet sniffer (read=ShowEq) you can go with option 1), let it do it for you.

This will NOT give you an optimized solution, but it will more than likely WORK.

A more optimized solution depends heavily on the size of your disk and what you intend to run.
If you choose to do it yourself, using Disk Druid ( Don't use fdisk, not because it's bad, because you won't like it. Trust me)

You want your partitions to look like this:

Swap partition first (Use recommended size for this)
/var second Use about 10-20% of your disk, aim for about a gig if you can
-- This is where your logs will go. You don't want this with your main sections, because if this fills up and it happens to be on the same partition as / or /usr, programs will lock trying to write to disk and you are fubar.
You want this RIGHT NEXT to your swap partition, because swap and /var are the most used parts of the disk. Any time spent traveling between them is lost time.

/ third Decide whether you want to install root based programs or user based programs now. Adjust size bigger the more you plan to install programs as root.

/usr fourth, make roughly the same size as /, adjusting bigger the more you plan to do as a user

/home fifth, think about how many users you will have, and how much space you want to give them each.

Whatever space you have left, split between / and /usr

For future record, this helpfile will give hardcore Linux guru's a heart attack. How crude his distinctions are between what each section does! How carelessly he generalizes!

Yeah so? These suggestions may not always be right, but they are the way to bet.

S_B_R
01-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Is it too much to ask that the "HELP" related threads be posted to the "HELP" forum? I understand that this is the "General" forum so anything goes, But I'am just looking at this from the point of view of someone coming here for help. I would think in most cases they would look in the forum labeled "HELP", and hopefully search in the "HELP" forum...

Just an observation..... :D