PDA

View Full Version : Cannot locate X server- worked before

axxe01
01-16-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi, I am running linux redhat distro 7.2. I have downloaded and compiled showeq and had it working just fine. It is set to the default 127.xx for server. I am running a 3 computer network, 2 off a hub into a netgear router, then one straight into the router. The eq machine and linux box are off the hub, so the connection is gtg.

The problem: Showeq somehow lost connectivity and crashed (exited). I tried reloading, and got the cannot find X server error. I have tried rebooting the linux box, but still no luck. The only thing I havent tried was rebooting the EQ box.

Also, and not sure if this is related, when Gnome fires up, it gives me a cannot find dchppc3 error, please put dchppc3 in /etc/hosts file to correct. Well, I've done that, still no luck

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks-

Axxe

fryfrog
01-16-2002, 10:15 PM
usually, this is what caused this type of error for me, and i'll make a few assumptions first.

a.) you don't run X as root, you run it as a user
b.) you open a console and use "su"

well, if you accidentally use "su -" which means "take roots environment as well as its abilities" then root doesn't have an X session running so it doesn't see it.

hopefully this is the issue, as its the only thing i can think of :)

axxe01
01-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Thanks much! That was kinda the problem, I was trying to run showeq from a root command line. When it kept saying cannot find X server, I wasn't thinking xwindows, I was thinking that it was using X as a variable for my eq client. Duh :)

Thanks for helping a linux newbie,

Axxe