Client:
* Same updates as test3, but mobs update properly
* Alerts get a circle drawn around them, white for now
* Option to turn off speed/direction lines

Server:
* Same as test3

CoolGuyEQ
04-20-2003, 06:01 PM
would it be posssible to use SEQ's Alert/etc files? Keeps things much neater, they load faster (less stuff to parse), etc.

Keep up the good w ork Cavemanbob!

MrDoh
04-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Lookin great!

I personaly am still having some lockups while trying to use the interface. I can grab the map and move it around for just a few seconds and it locks up. Or click on enough skittles, and sooner or later it'll happen.
It still seems like if I am carefull, (don't click to quickly, etc.) I can avoid most. Lockups.
After a while of testing, I have had just the occasional lockup for no apparent reason, but it's VERY few and far between.

Version number on client is old.

Just to make sure it isn't just me, has PoY not been checked out yet?

Great work!
Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-20-2003, 08:49 PM
LoY still isn't checked, I'll be doing that a bit later tonight.

I've still got to go through and double check some of the spots that are accessing shared memory, but I should be done with those soon.

There's a couple of really neat features coming in the next mini-release, ground spawns & with a little luck tooltip style popups over mobs & drops...

MrDoh
04-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I've found something very interesting in troubleshooting my lockup problems. It will probably point in the direction of what causes it, and may finally solve the mystery.

I've stated in many posts, it really happens when using the interface. Well, up until now, my interaction with the interface has been with the mouse. When I use the keyboard, it happens a lot less frequently.

I can zoom into 10000, and back down by holding down the up and arrow keys, and I don't lock up at all. Mostly the whole time I'm doing this, the CPU does get to 100% and everything keeps right on going. When switching back and forth rapidly beetween zoom in and zoom out, it does lock sooner or later.

When I use the keyboard (Holding the keys down continuously, sometimes to where the map is off the screen, and back again and so forth) on the offests.
It probably happens less when using the mouse. *shrug*

When I scroll up and down the list, I also lock up, but once again spordically. (I don't make it through the whole list when holding the key down. I can get a lot further through the list if I use the key slower, but not holding ot down. It is a very large list.)
Interestingly enough, I can scroll all the way through the list with the mouse repeatedly, and not have a lockup. Of course, it's not redrawing that target line everytime like the keyboard scrolling does.

Maybe this will finally point us to whether this is a performance problem, or what. Maybe it will at least help and point to something.

Maybe the answer is puting a timer where the whatever (zoom, X, Y, list) will only update so often, on a mouse or key press (even when held). hehehe Just for dummies like me who try to do things to fast. I guess that wouldn't stop the occasional lockups when dragging the map, if it didn't outright kill that feature. Wouldn't help freeze on clicking mob occasionally either huh?

I dunno, maybe it's just me and my equipment?
Anyway, I thought the findings were interesting.

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-21-2003, 12:19 AM
K, I'll try to replicate stuff like that, got the LoY bug traced down... and of all things it was the new races LOL

MrDoh
04-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Cool!

What more is there to say!

I for one am interested in what you had to do to figure that out? Just run it through the dubugger?, or?

Once again, great job!

Mr. Doh

cavemanbob
04-21-2003, 01:53 AM
Yep, started it up and bang, out of range exception on a races array access somewhere. Gotta love interactive debugging :)

CybMax
04-21-2003, 06:14 AM
How is the LoY download going Caveman? Still no skittles when entering any of the loy zones..

cavemanbob
04-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Done, the bug is fixed and LoY will work in the next release.