PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Add a New Map?

Hobo
01-17-2002, 08:37 AM
I did some searching but didn't find an answer to this and it won't let me search using only three letters...i.e. "map".

Can someone explain to me exactly how I can add a new map to SEQ? Specifically I want to dl a map from Mapfiend and install it into SEQ.

Do I need to recompile or can I just gunzip it and move it into the appropriate SEQ directory?

What directory do they typically go into? (I know I can find this myself but if anyone knows it would help me to not have to manually search all the directories.)

Is there a "guide" somewhere that explains how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hobo

Vertigo1
01-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Once you get the map downloaded from Mapfiend, gunzip it and untar it.

when you have the WhateverZone.map file you copy it into /usr/local/share/showeq this is where ShowEQ's maps are located by the default 'make install' script.

Hobo
01-17-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. Just one last little clarification. There is no need to recompile...Is this correct?

Thanks

Hobo

crazdefool
01-17-2002, 09:21 AM
No re-compile necessary..

Vertigo1
01-17-2002, 12:03 PM
No need to recompile to just add a map..

Hobo
01-18-2002, 08:56 AM
Well I managed to DL the maps I wanted just fine. Downloaded them to root and moved them to the map directory. Also tried downloading them directly to the map directory. Problem is that when I go to unpack them it just doesn't seem to work. Here's what I'm doing...

1. I dl the tar.gz file from Mapfiends using Netscape. (No need to "save as" because it automatically starts the dl in a manner similar to Win98.)

2. Once I get the file downloaded I do a gunzip of the file. This turns the file into just a .tar file.

3. Then I attempt to use the tar command(s) and I get nothing. If I do a "tar -xf <filename>.tar" it does nothing. It's basically just like hitting "enter" as the direcory prompt comes back. (I.E. - /root/showeq/linux/maps )

4. Since using the command in #3 above didn't seem to work I tried using the command "tar -x <filename>.tar". This just results in the PC seeming to "hang"...No directory prompt comes back and the PC doesn't appear to be doing anything. No hdd activity at all. Needless to say the map files do not show up in the map directory after doing any of these steps.

I've checked through both the gunzip --help file and the tar --help file but haven't been able to figure this out. I'm sure it's some sort of operator error or wrong command. Can someone spell out (in an idiot's guide manner) what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

RavenCT
01-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Instead of playing around at the command line in a terminal window (If your using XWindows at the time) or just at the prompt... I'd type:

mc

That's short for Midnight Commander. It works just like the old Norton commander used to (from the **Shudder** DOS world, I know I shook a few of you up with that one...)

With this you can navigate right into the tar and tar.gz files and copy files out without having screw around with tar.

Play with it a little and you'll get the hang of it...

The funniest thing is that I accidently stumbled on it (typo)...

Mr Guy
01-18-2002, 10:31 AM
Here's what I'd recommend:

tar -zxv maps.tar.gz

break down as I understand it:

tar (duh)

-x decompresses (x-tract)
-z runs it through gunzip first ( hence the .gz after the .tar)
-v Verbose, tells you what files it getting and what not.

Works well for me.

crazdefool
01-18-2002, 12:57 PM
netscape might already open the gz.. try tar -xv