PDA

View Full Version : Make a map for new PoH?

Shade
05-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Ok all, I looked, I didnt find. What I want to know is....

How can I make a map for the PoHb?

EQ Mapping dont work in the new PoH so I cant make my own map. And, Seq is broken so I cant make my own map on seq then port it over to myseq. I need to know how I can do this...I looked and looked but didnt find anything. Sigh.

Shade

Lyroschen
05-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Hard way is to turn on logging, then do a /loc at each point you want a put a line point. Don't know if there are any proggies out there to parse a log of locs to create a map file. If not, you can still convert manually.

cavemanbob
05-16-2003, 01:33 AM
The log parser would be pretty easy to write to output a basic map (no color or text), having no other extra text in it (like ooc and such) would be easiest. I'll try and throw something basic together in C# now as I'm kinda bored and don't want to do myseq stuff ATM. It'd probably be super easy to do a little script in perl to do it too.

There'll probably be a new myseq client release within the next couple of days with the community submitted code added and a docking listbox. I might even get the EXP/AAXP display in if I have time.

Shade
05-16-2003, 01:47 AM
Ok, well. 3am here lol and I am not sure I was completely clear on what I wanted to do.

I want to make a map of the new hateplaneb so it can be used for Myseq and Seq when its fixed. I looked for how to do this but I cant find nothin. I am a total newb when it comes to programming but I am trying to learn so maybe Im just using the wrong keywords in my searches or something.

So, maybe I either explained myself wrong or I just didnt understand what you said lol.

"Hard way is to turn on logging, then do a /loc at each point you want a put a line point. Don't know if there are any proggies out there to parse a log of locs to create a map file. If not, you can still convert manually."

This I understand. Just go so far on a wall, /loc, goto next intersection, loc, next one, loc ect. How would I be able to do this without dying in the real pohb? Is there any emulators or anything?

Shoot you guys point me in the right direction I will post maps as soon as I can get them done. :)

Anyways, just trying to help out.

Shade
05-16-2003, 01:53 AM
Or!! Ohhh! ohhh!

Is there a way to get the current SEQ working with EQEMU? I can make a map that way and get it up and going!

Anyways, more thoughts of the sleep deprived with a bad cold :)

I think the cough medicine is getting to me.

cavemanbob
05-16-2003, 01:55 AM
You could setup eqemu to do it possibly, but I have no idea how to do so.

There is also a EQ Zone viewer that might be useful, but it'd be a real PITA to map a zone that way...

The safest possible way would be to pull the level geometry from the s3d file, which are just gziped i believe, and automatically generate the map from that. I don't know if there's a utility to do this already but it'd be damn cool if there was. :)

Another possibility that I was considering was adding mapping to myseq, but allowing the line drawing to work with a different mob, ie an eye of zomm type thing... Like many things however this hasn't been done yet.

EDIT: From what I've been told, the emu works with a super old exe (pre encryption), so seq could probably be made to work with it easily. The work was likely done at some point in the past if you can match the exe version to the showeq version that existed at the time...

ksmith
05-16-2003, 08:26 AM
This was generated from the zone file: http://kyle.13th-floor.org/eq/maps/gif/hateplaneb2.gif

I still need a better algorithim to clean up the extra lines.

Edit:
The .map file that was generated from is 6MB and is therefore understandably not available for download. If anyone wants to work with me on generating showeq maps from the zone files, they should PM me.

high_jeeves
05-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Nice work, ksmith. You should take a look around the web for "Convex Hull" algorithms for doing your line detections. Since some of your regions have concavity, you will have to modify the algorithms somewhat, but they might give you a decent head start.

Another good approach is a polygon inclusion test (project the lines into 2D, for each object, find the outermost polygon. Remove all lines not in the outermost polygon).

Just a few idea...

--Jeeves

Lyroschen
05-16-2003, 12:15 PM
To the best of my knowledge, EQEmu doesn't work with the latest zones, although my info may be outdated.

cavemanbob
05-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Nice ksmith, if you can get some of the extra lines culled out it'd look great.

Mapfiend
05-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I still have my old logfile parser written in php, and can make it available if anyone wants it.
I will need a sample of a recent log file to make sure it's still compatible with EQ log files (I haven't played in well over a year)

It has some commands that you can use to control it, triggers for when to start and (optionally) end a line, and can add line names and colors.

I'll find some recent maps to make sure the map format hasn't changed too much since I stopped playing.

ksmith
05-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Hateplaneb
(MAP (http://kyle.13th-floor.org/eq/maps/gif/Hateplaneb.map)) 1.2MB
(GIF (http://kyle.13th-floor.org/eq/maps/gif/Hateplaneb.gif))

Ratt
05-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Man... if we could nail down a good conversion algorithm for this, converting all the maps from the 3d files would be cool...

But at 1.2MB, some serious map changes need to take place in SEQ to make it workable on a lot of machines.

ksmith
05-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Here's how I do it:
* use Mitselplik's zone converter to get a povray file for the zone
* convert each mesh in the povray file to its own showeq map
* generate gif images of those maps
* pick which maps to use and merge them together
* spend a day running a map optimizer on it

who_me_use_seq
05-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Excellent map Ksmith. Thank you very much.

Now in the fine tradition of "A handful of gimmie and a mouthful of much obliged".......Would you by any chance feel inclined to do the same thing for PoEa? Pretty Please with sugar on it?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Catt
05-25-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by ksmith
Here's how I do it:
* use Mitselplik's zone converter to get a povray file for the zone
* generate gif images of those maps
* pick which maps to use and merge them together
* spend a day running a map optimizer on it

Hiyas,

Could you shed some light on:

You have a script or program for that, or do you do it by hand?

lostinspace
05-26-2003, 04:34 AM
@who_me : there was one very good map of PoEa posted on this forum. Unless that post got deleted when forum changed, it should be still there.

@ksmith: good work. btw, i noticed that I got better GIF result when I just deleted yellow and pink lines from your original map, compared to your final GIF map. Of course, we need txt map, not gif map, but I just wondered if you could use line color to decide which lines to delete (in case you get line colors from povray converters, and not generating them yourself)

don'tdoit
05-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Yep, PoEa already has a very good map, both for SEQ and EQ mapping (disabled). I haven't seen a map for PoEb yet though. Has anybody seen one?

lostinspace
05-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Well, I didnt find PoEB map too, so I made one crude version untill someone with more skills do it right.

You can download it here (untill I remove ZIP). Note that maps are in EQ format, NOT in SEQ format.

...hmm.. link not working atm...

Also in this zip i put few other elemental plane maps, including PoEA one that I mentioned.

lostinspace
05-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Ok, will try to attach ZIP with only poeA and poeB maps, since link from above post didnt work from some reason

spiceman
05-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks KSmith for the map

Amadeus
06-21-2003, 09:34 PM
hmmm....I saw the size of that map file and thought it was an SOE map. Too bad he couldn't have taken a moment to label it.