PDA

View Full Version : Cant get show eq to work on a proxy server (WinGate 4.4)

Dvate
01-18-2002, 03:38 PM
I am using a Proxy server (wingate 4.4) at my house to share internet. I cant get the ShowEq to receive any packets from my EQ client machine. I have a static IP address on my Eq client MAchine that Show eq machine looks for to sniff the packets. nothing is getting through. I had Show Eq working at my friends house who is not on a proxy. My lan is not using any switches either. All network is on a hub. If anyone know if show Eq works on wingate proxy please reply.

RavenCT
01-21-2002, 08:29 AM
Is there a software "Client" that is loaded for Wingate? It's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't know off the top of my head...

If there is a software client loaded on the machine, then it may be redirecting or changing the packets destined for the Wingate server in such a way that SEQ can't see them....

Just my 2cp

BlueAdept
01-21-2002, 08:47 AM
I could very well be wrong since I have never run a proxy, but I dont think you can do it that way.

The reason is because the linux box will never see the packets. You windows box is only passing the packets for the inet to it. Not the actual packets from the win box.

lane
01-21-2002, 11:12 AM
I'm taking a guess, but are you running Wingate on the EQ computer, and dialing to the internet from that computer?
If you are, you will never get it to work.

If, you are running wingate on a computer dialed to the Internet, second computer runing EQ, and third running SEQ, you should be OK, just have something wrong. There are lots of thread about what hubs are really switches, so I won't even go into that mess.

Also, just runing EQ through a proxy machine is not going to be trivial. You should be able to run NAT (maybe PAT, can't remember) with the Wingate software depending on what version you registered (if you did). NAT will work fine. Proxy requires the server to have some understanding of the protocol being used.

-Lane

RavenCT
01-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Now that you mention it, I don't know why I never thought of that... Doh!

That makes sence, if the EQ computer is the gateway, then the packets are never going to drop onto the LAN...

I think we all need a little more information on how he has it network setup....

a.k.a. Speculation death :D

lostpacket
01-21-2002, 11:27 AM
...you're running a linux machine but using Wingate for your net connection on a Windows machine?

*cry* That's like having your linux machine saying "You've got mail". It's just wrong! :)

lane
01-21-2002, 11:43 AM
/em agrees with LostPacket.

New thought:
Anyone use ppp0 to dialup, and sniff packets with the linux box doing the NAT?

I was thinking about this, and don't think it would work.. unless.. you use a second NIC to sniff the packets that the first NIC is sending to the EQ client.

I belive you would have to do this because the the sniifer puts the network card in passive mode so that it will recieve all layer 2 packets, but it the NIC is sending the packets, it will not "see" them because it will not be RXing on that interface.

-Lane

BlueAdept
01-21-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by lane
New thought:
Anyone use ppp0 to dialup, and sniff packets with the linux box doing the NAT?

Yes you can do Nat with a dialup. I used to have a 56k dialup on my linux that I nated to my windows box and played EQ and has SEQ running fine. Just need one 56k modem on your linux box and one nic card in your linux box (and one nic card in the windows box). You can then either use a crossover cable or a hub.

fee
01-22-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by lane

I belive you would have to do this because the the sniifer puts the network card in passive mode so that it will recieve all layer 2 packets, but it the NIC is sending the packets, it will not "see" them because it will not be RXing on that interface.

-Lane

First of all its call promiscuous mode. This simply tells the NIC to grab all frames, not just broadcasts, arps or frames addressed to itself. It has no barring on rx/tx of frames other than the increased load on the ethernet processor.

fee

fryfrog
01-22-2002, 01:50 AM
a VERY long time ago, i ran my linux box as my gateway and ran showeq on it as well. my one main issue was that if i monitored an internal ip on eth1, showeq was about as stable as my last girlfriend. if i then ran it sniffing the external ip... well, 2 eq sessions coming from 1 ip confused showeq :)

how is that now? and by a long time ago, i mean a year or so ago :)

lane
01-23-2002, 12:52 PM
First of all its call promiscuous mode. This simply tells the NIC to grab all frames, not just broadcasts, arps or frames addressed to itself. It has no barring on rx/tx of frames other than the increased load on the ethernet processor.

Yes, I got the wrong word, must have been typing faster than I could think of what the name really was... Whatever...

You sure about the rx/tx thing? I know promiscouous mode allows the interface to ignore the destination MAC and accept all frames, I didn't think this would allow you to see transmitted packets on that interface.

I guess if the PM function happens farther up in the NIC card this would be possible. Then again, maybe Seq has nothing to do with the nic card and just uses that as a meens to get packets into the computer, then it just looks through all of them for EQ packets. Based on the post above... who knows...

-Lane

RavenCT
01-23-2002, 01:55 PM
promiscuous mode allows a NIC to sniff/listen/intercept any packet that is traversing the wire... it doesn't matter where that packet is destined or or who sent it. If it's transmitted on the wire, your on the same segment, and there aren't any switches between you and the sender, then you should be able to "eavesdrop" and pull that packet...

If I had to guess where on the 7 layers of the OSI model it's working:

Application <-- Duh, the application

Presentation

Session

Transport <-- TCP layer (Connection Oriented)

Network <-- Packets sniffed here I think, also where IP packets
are sent back and forth (Connection less)

Datalink <-- Link with Router/hub/switch

Physical <-- Network media

If you want to look up more information on it, here is a link that has some better information than I'm going to type up here :)

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/3131/ne/osimodel.html