PDA

View Full Version : SOE<->SEQ converter

Mapfiend
05-27-2003, 11:05 PM
I have written a SEQ<->SOE map converter script (it converts both ways) and have it on my site for the time being, though it will likely be moved to Fatal's site.

Some of the major features are:
1. Preserving colors most of the time (using white otherwise) when converting SOE->SEQ and all the time when converting SEQ->SOE
2. Rebuilding lines when converting SOE->SEQ wherever possible(like colored lines are grouped together up to 250 points)
3. Preserving point locations
4. Correctly flipping the signs on X and Y coords (though I'm still not sure if the Z should be /10 or not)

Disclaimer: I have not extensively tested this script, but it does work with the maps I tested, both SOE and SEQ.
Converting SOE->SEQ takes a *bit* longer than SEQ->SOE (due to the complexity of the SEQ format)

If you find any bugs or eccentric behavior with it, let me know here.

http://www.k-r-g.com/convert.php

quackrabbit
05-28-2003, 05:59 AM
I am not sure if you know this or not, if you do then sorry for posting this info.

When you are converting a map from SOE to SEQ format and you can not find a color "name" in RGB.txt you can convert the RGB values to hex and use that value instead.

For example, if color values from the SOE format map are 120, 200, 100 you can use #78c864 as the color in the SEQ map - no need to drop the color detail and substitue white.

quackrabbit
05-28-2003, 06:06 AM
Bleah, I can't edit my post... The hex values must follow the # symbol.

Also, your map converter does not correcly convert SEQ maps to SOE maps if the color is in this format. :)

who_me_use_seq
05-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks Mapfiend. That is very handy.

Mapfiend
05-28-2003, 11:10 AM
quackrabbit,
I didn't know about the hex colors. I'll fix that tonight, thanks for the info.

Mapfiend
05-28-2003, 09:31 PM
ok, I fixed the hex color feature. It will now use hex colors (#RRGGBB) if it can't find the color in RGB.txt for SEQ maps, and will correctly convert them back to decimal for the SOE maps.

Mapfiend
05-28-2003, 11:37 PM
ok, found a rather large problem when converting original SOE maps to SEQ.
Not really sure if it is the user doing it or if it is the SOE mapper, but a MOST of the coordinate pairs don't "match up". I'm totally unfamiliar with how the cartography stuff works, so not sure what to blame it on :)
the result is that SEQ maps generated from SOE originated maps are almost as large as the SOE original.
I'm going to add a "fuzzy" feature to the SOE parser, so if the previous set of coords are within, say, 5 of the next set of coords, it will just continue the line.
This should cut down on redundant M,Line,Color entries and cut map size considerably.

SeqTester
05-29-2003, 04:00 PM
Is there a size limit on this? I wanted to take the SOE-PoK map and turn it to a SEQ-Map but it keeps saying "failed to upload poknowledge.txt ".

I think it may be a timeout issue being my cable modem is capped on my send and the file is 500kish..

Thanks,
ST

Mapfiend
05-29-2003, 04:30 PM
yeah, there is a filesize limit of 300k right now. I'll raise that when I get home from work. Or you can break the file in half and do it in 2 parts, Then merge them into an SEQ file.

SeqTester
05-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Hmm.. why did I not think to split it up, thanks I will try that after dinner.

ty,
ST

Mapfiend
05-29-2003, 08:36 PM
I upped the file size limit to 500k (Damn, SOE maps can be HUGE)
and fixed the line optimization. SEQ maps generated from SOE maps are now a LOT smaller.

Not sure if anyone has noticed this or not, but maps generated in game are written backwards. It appears that instead of each new coordinate set (line) being appended to the bottom of the file, it is placed on line 1 and all previous lines are pushed down one.
SOE maps that were previously converted from SEQ are NOT written this way, so I have taken that into account as well.

Let me know if you find any other bugs :)

Amadeus
06-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Well..I found a new plane of Hate SOE map ..but it's 770k :(

Got a PM into mapfiend, maybe he'll have an answer for me

Mapfiend
06-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Amadeus, check your PM

HRPuffinstuff
07-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Hello,

I tried using the map converter on the new Chardok B map available from maps.eq-toolbox.com. Downloaded the txt file to my linux box, went to www.k-r-g.com/convert.php, browsed for my filename and hit "post", waited a few moments, got the result back, cut and pasted it into /usr/local/share/showeq/Chardokb.map. At first glance everything seemed normal. But . . .

When zoning into Chardok B, it appears that the map converter set the number of points in EVERY line to 0. "Ok" I think to myself, "this is about a 30 second script to fix this". It was, wrote a simple little awk (perl is the debbil I tell you! awk is the only true script interpreter! But I digress . . .) script to replace the 4th field with the actual number of line points. My simple little script worked fine and showeq know longer gave me 800 or so warning messages. But . . .

I get no lines on the map. Skittles show up, labels show up, but no lines whatsoever. Any idea what could be amiss with the map file? (I've seen this in other zones/maps also, notably Fear)

TIA,

HR

KaL
07-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Check the color of each line. I think the converter gives you grey0 and you can just convert to gray or something.

Like, bring it up in vi and do a

:%s/grey0/gray/

HRPuffinstuff
07-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Doh! Check the simplest things first! Sure enough grey0 is defined as 0,0,0 in the "stock" rgb.txt file. Replacing grey0 with grey worked like a champ!

Thanks KaL!

HR

uRit1u2CBBA=
08-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mapfiend

http://www.k-r-g.com/convert.php

Is there something known to the owner that this link isn't working?

I wanted to use it last night to convert eq-toolbox's map of hateplaneb, but couldn't.

Just letting him know in case he doesn't already.

Thanks.

Elyon
08-17-2003, 06:04 PM
BUMP.. Sure could use this script :D

Update:

Tallked to Mapfiend and he said it may show up on EqToolBox Soon, perhaps this coming weekend.... (08-23-03) :D

Mapfiend
09-14-2003, 03:15 AM
Hey yall, sorry for the delay. Both Fatal and I have been very busy lately and haven't had much time to do diddly-squat.

I have put the converter up on Fatal's site at: http://mapfiend.eq-toolbox.com/convert.php BUT he mentioned something about SOE changing the format of the maps with the new LDON expansion, so I'm not sure if it works or not. I haven't looked at the new format, so I'm not sure if/how they changed it.

On another, more positive note, He and I have been hard at work for the past week or so rebuilding my old site from the ground up.
The new site will be located on Fatal's server and will work much like my old site did, with shopping-cart type functions (that will let you add more than 19 maps this time, lol), last updated, download all maps etc.
It also works transparently with either SEQ or SOE format maps. One thing it will not have initially, is the flash map viewer since Fatal hasn't had time to get Ming installed on his server yet.
The site will be up within the week.

Gullork
09-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Seriously looking forward to the new reincarnation of the old site!

Squiffy
09-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Tried it on the MMCh_1 and _3 files... the layout is quite different, it seems. I tried to figure out how it draws based on the co-ordinates, but got real confused...

SEQ Map format for QRG.map (used as example)
M,line,gray,2,-291,463,33,-278,491,31

SOE Original Map Line for MMCH_3.txt
L 24.0000, -86.0000, 0.0000, 24.0000, -57.0000, 0.0000, 0, 0, 0

SEQ Converted Map format for MMCH.map
M,line,grey0,0,-24,86,0,-24,57,0

So I fiddle around with it a bit and figured the extra 0s were extraneous for the most part, possibly a Z coordinate that wasn't needed?

Made it into:
M,line,gray,0,-24,86,-24,57
Error

M,line,gray,3,-24,86,-24,57
Seemed to work. Did it like that for the rest of the lines, removing the 0s, fixing it in general. Ended up with a big zig-zagged mesh of lines... the points were in the right place, but the lines were connecting all wrong.

Not sure if this helps in the least.

Mapfiend
09-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Squiffy, do you know if the changes are for ALL SOE maps or just the new LDON maps?
I would assume all maps, but this is SOE we are talking about :)

Mapfiend
09-15-2003, 09:33 PM
After playing around with some of the new SOE maps for a bit, they appear to be ok.
I have uploaded a map of mmch_3 to Fatals server. If someone could take a look at it and confirm it is the correct orientation (or not), I'd appreciate it.

http://mapfiend.eq-toolbox.com/mmch.png

domesticbeer
09-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Yea Map that matches what I have.

Mapfiend
09-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Cool, thanks. That means they didn't change the format :)