PDA

View Full Version : Something is amiss in my setup

AAAWalrus
01-21-2002, 08:15 AM
Ok, I'm a ShowEQ first timer here, so bear with me.

First off, I did get the thing to compile in RH7.2, so that's all good. But something is wrong, perhaps it's my hardware, otr maybe I skimmed past something pertinent in a readme. Basically, when I start up the ShowEQ program, it's a real dog. As in, it takes 20 seconds or so for the system to register keyboard presses and mouse clicks, making the software unusable. When I first started it up, I thought my system completely froze. Here's my system setup:

ADSL Line (Earthlink)
|
V
Roaring Penguin PPPOE software
|
V
Red Hat 7.2 w/KDE
|
V
Pentium 200
Matrox Millenium II (not a 3D card)
128MB RAM
|
V
IP forwarding/masquerading
DHCP server/DNS caching
|
V
10Mbit Hub
|
V
1.4 GHz AMD Athlon
Win2K
Get's IP from DHCP

Ok, ok, there may be several things wrong here, not the least of which is getting packet info picked up from PPPOE, but right now I'm worried about display problems. Is it just a matter of dropping KDE and running a bare bones XServer? Do I need a different (newer) video card?

Yendor
01-21-2002, 09:31 AM
turn down the frames per second (FPS) setting on your map windows to like 1 since you are on a slowish machine. Having it above 6 is somewhat worthless.

AAAWalrus
01-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Thanks, that did the trick. It was set to 10, it seems to run fine on 1 or 2. Also, I set the FastMachine option in the showeq.conf file to 0. Works like a charm.

-Nate I.