PDA

View Full Version : Solaris

Prime_Evil
01-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Has anyone got this to complie On solaris?
I have an old spark5 that would be an excellent Showeq machine. i was wondering if anyone has already done this. ALso is there an older showeq CVS that will work on solaris?
Thanks..

lane
01-21-2002, 11:56 AM
I know this might not be the answer you were looking for, but can't you run Linux on some of the Sparc machines?

-Lane

Prime_Evil
01-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Not sure, honestly i have never took the Solaris CD out of the Cd drive hehe I"Msure i could Tweak some of the older stuff to make it work on solaris.. but Not version 4.0... at least i dont think so.

NoLiving
01-26-2002, 07:58 AM
libEQ.a is written in x86 assembly so it wouldn't work on sparc to the best of my knowledge. I guess it could run in broken decode more. Give it a shot if you want that.

Cryonic
01-27-2002, 03:44 PM
Actually it was written in C and then released as a compiled library. There were versions for other systems (e.g. sparc, alpha, ppc, etc...), but ShowEQ itself has issues with big endian vs. little endian and so would segfault on 64bit processors.

Spot
01-30-2002, 01:05 PM
The only Redhat version I can find for the SPARC is 6.2. So loading up Redhat on your SPARC wont help ya.

Cryonic
01-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Sure it will, then just upgrade GCC and QT from source instead of rpms and you're ready for SEQ. Of course it will only be sonar mode, no decryption and will most likely segfault a lot due to bigendian vs. little endian coding.

Crux
04-27-2002, 12:15 AM
also intrested in getting seq to decode on a sparc. anyone know where i can get the libs that i need?

Cryonic
04-27-2002, 01:52 AM
The problem isn't just which libs you'd need for Sparc, but also the problem that SEQ is written and assumed to work with x86 architectures and other little endian style systems. Sparc and Alpha are big endian, so SEQ would need to have changes made to its code to get rid of certain datatypes that aren't the same size on the two (causing rollovers of values to be at different points, etc...). I had SEQ compiled on my poor little DEC Alpha Multia, but all it would do is segfault trying to start up because Alpha is Big Endian.

I could be wrong, but to date, everything I've read and seen is consistent with the above (any Developer want to correct this?). Wish SEQ worked on Alpha/Sparc, wouldn't have to waste my poor laptop doing it (then again it doesn't do much most of the time).