PDA

View Full Version : How Will SEQ Respond to a Shared Internet Connection?

Gabriel
01-21-2002, 02:28 PM
I have a cable modem which is plugged directly into the uplink port of a hub (Not a router). I then have four computers plugged into the hub's other ports. This allows me to share my internet connection with all four of my computers. In case you are wondering--I'm not using a router because I seem to lose bandwidth and go Linkdead in Everquest on some of my computers when a Router is used rather than a Hub.

We normally have all four computers running EQ, sharing the same internet connection via my cable modem.

My question is this: After I configure a Linux Box with SEQ, will SEQ be able to differentiate which packets to "sniff", and which packets are from which computer? I'm just confused as to how this configuration might work. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. I know this is a N00b question, but hell, I'm a N00b, what can I say?

Thanks,

Gabriel

casey
01-21-2002, 02:42 PM
i take care of 2 networks at 2 seperate apartments.

both use cable for internet connectivity, connected directly to a linux box providing NAT.

the linux boxes are then hooked to various hubs/switches to the internal lan.

At my apt, i have 5 boxes on the lan connected via a 100mbit switch. I run showeq twice on the gateway, with each session exported to a different linux box, and use showeq that what (for myself and my wife). Showeq filters by ip/mac so as long as multiple sessions are on different boxes it works fine.

The other apt has a hub on the interal network (2 hubs actually) and so showeq is run directly on 2 of the boxes, for 2 people who play.

works fine.