PDA

View Full Version : Help, weird problem...although ShowEQ works..

Powerplay
01-23-2002, 01:18 AM
Ok this is weird..im such a newb but, i successfully installed ShowEQ and it runs..the net connection is on my linux machine..it is setup as a proxy to my WinME machine, I can ping between the two and use the internet with the WinME machine using the proxy on the Linux machine...everything is connected by a hub, I'm a 56ker...My problem is...I run normal EQ it installed the latest patch since..hadn't played it on that machine lately..and i enter my login/pw and well..it won't log into server..keeps telling me to try again later...it will not connect to the server..although the EQ patcher works and everything...Anyone know what the deal is..my proxy is setup up using Webmin and Squid...if that helps..PLS help...i got this far and now i need some help..

fee
01-23-2002, 01:40 AM
It sounds like you have not configured the linux box for NAT(network address translation) and pakcet forwarding. Usually this is done with 'ipchains' or 'iptables', not sure if webmin has an interface to these commands, but there are plenty of frontends and how-to's. Start at http://www.linuxdoc.org

fee

fryfrog
01-23-2002, 01:50 AM
i think fee is dead on. with your linux box as your gateway to the internet, using a traditional (read: OLD) proxy is not the way you want to go. what you want is NAT. the windows computer speaks to the linux box like it was its gateway (it is). the linux box then translates those requests and pretends it was its own request. it keeps track of all of this, and when the request comes back, it REtranslates it back and sends it to your windows computer.

this lets ANY computer work behind it, without that computer having to be configured in any odd ways, asside from having the linux box be its gateway.

if you want an easy to setup thing that does this, try freesco (http://www.freesco.com). it is a floppy based linux distro that is a router/nat gateway. answer a few questions, and you are off. runs on 386+ w/ 8mb+ of ram and a floppy drive.